NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prescott is a finalist for OPOY and MVP;  Lamb for OPOY.  2 other players are finalists for DPOY.  Niners have Purdy and McCaffrey for MVP, and McCaffrey for OPOY.

No other team has more than one player.  Cowboys got 4.

And got humiliated in the first round.

And they kept the coach................

EDIT:  Coach of the Year finalists...

Ryans, Texans

Stefanski, Browns

Shanahan, Niners

John Harbaugh, Ravens

Campbell, Lions

That's a pretty solid list.  My preference would be Ryans.  

Comeback player of the year is also interesting.  Hamlin is, I think, mostly sentimental;  I'm fine with him as a finalist *just for making it back*.  Stafford, Mayfield, Tua, Flacco.  Flacco's strongest and weakest point...same thing.  Limited number of games.  That said, stepping in, LATE, and playing a string of solid games to make it in, is nothing to sneeze at.  I'd probably say Mayfield...which is mildly painful, based on his past demeanor, but I get the sense he's grown up a bit since his mad bomber college days.

EDIT 2:  a fantasy football league has fired an employee for making changes to a contestant's roster, to the benefit of the contestant...when the games were in progress.  One, for example, was swapping the Dolphins' running back out...and using Aaron Jones.  

https://www.espn.com/espn/betting/story/_/id/39386593/fantasy-football-cheating-scandal-leads-site-firing-employee

I suspect criminal charges will be forthcoming against both.  

The first prize in this competition?

$150,000.

... And Kansas City punches their ticket for their fourth Super Bowl in 5 years. Only two other teams have ever done that, the Bills and the Patriots.

If the Chiefs end up winning, do we start talking about Mahomes and Reid the same way people have been talking about Brady and Belichick?

Granted that this is the conference championship game, but Lamar's performance is going to start drawing comparisons that are *not* flattering, in terms of failure to perform under the brightest of lights.

OTOH, Mahomes' HoF status is a lock;  at this point, he's pushing for

a)  unanimous selection (looks like Brady is the only other)

b)  Mount Rushmore of QBs status.

Can't say he's challenging Brady for GOAT...*yet*.

If the Chiefs end up winning, do we start talking about Mahomes and Reid the same way people have been talking about Brady and Belichick?

Not yet.  Brady and Belichick had an *impossible* run for SOO!!!! long!  It isn't just the SB wins.

2001 2001 NFL AFC East 1st[i] 11 5 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Raiders) 16–13 (OT)
Won AFC Championship (at Steelers) 24–17
Won Super Bowl XXXVI (1) (vs. Rams) 20–17
Tom Brady (SB MVP)[20]
2002 2002 NFL AFC East 2nd[j] 9 7 0    
2003 2003 NFL AFC East 1st 14 2 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Titans) 17–14
Won AFC Championship (Colts) 24–14
Won Super Bowl XXXVIII (2) (vs. Panthers) 32–29
Tom Brady (SB MVP)[21]
Bill Belichick (COY)[22]
2004 2004 NFL AFC East 1st 14 2 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Colts) 20–3
Won AFC Championship (at Steelers) 41–27
Won Super Bowl XXXIX (3) (vs. Eagles) 24–21
Deion Branch (SB MVP)[23]
2005 2005 NFL AFC East 1st 10 6 0 Won Wild Card playoffs (Jaguars) 28–3
Lost Divisional playoffs (at Broncos) 13–27
Tedy Bruschi (CBPOY)[24]
2006 2006 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Wild Card playoffs (Jets) 37–16
Won Divisional playoffs (at Chargers) 24–21
Lost AFC Championship (at Colts) 34–38

2007 2007 NFL AFC East 1st 16 0 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Jaguars) 31–20
Won AFC Championship (Chargers) 21–12
Lost Super Bowl XLII (vs. Giants) 14–17
Tom Brady (MVP, OPOY)[5][25]
Bill Belichick (COY)[22]
2008 2008 NFL AFC East 2nd[k] 11 5 0   Jerod Mayo (DROY)[26]
2009 2009 NFL AFC East 1st 10 6 0 Lost Wild Card playoffs (Ravens) 14–33 Tom Brady (CBPOY)[27]
2010 2010 NFL AFC East 1st 14 2 0 Lost Divisional playoffs (Jets) 21–28 Tom Brady (MVP, OPOY)[6][28]
Bill Belichick (COY)[22]
2011 2011 NFL AFC East 1st 13 3 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Broncos) 45–10
Won AFC Championship (Ravens) 23–20
Lost Super Bowl XLVI (vs. Giants) 17–21

2012 2012 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Texans) 41–28
Lost AFC Championship (Ravens) 13–28

2013 2013 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Colts) 43–22
Lost AFC Championship (at Broncos) 16–26

2014 2014 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Ravens) 35–31
Won AFC Championship (Colts) 45–7
Won Super Bowl XLIX (4) (vs. Seahawks) 28–24
Rob Gronkowski (CBPOY)
Tom Brady (SB MVP)[29]
2015 2015 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Chiefs) 27–20
Lost AFC Championship (at Broncos) 18–20

2016 2016 NFL AFC East 1st 14 2 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Texans) 34–16
Won AFC Championship (Steelers) 36–17
Won Super Bowl LI (5) (vs. Falcons) 34–28 (OT)
Tom Brady (SB MVP)
2017 2017 NFL AFC East 1st 13 3 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Titans) 35–14
Won AFC Championship (Jaguars) 24–20
Lost Super Bowl LII (vs. Eagles) 33–41
Tom Brady (MVP)
2018 2018 NFL AFC East 1st 11 5 0 Won Divisional playoffs (Chargers) 41–28
Won AFC Championship (at Chiefs) 37–31 (OT)
Won Super Bowl LIII (6) (vs. Rams) 13–3
Julian Edelman (SB MVP)
2019 2019 NFL AFC East 1st 12 4 0 Lost Wild Card playoffs (Titans) 13–20 Stephon Gilmore (DPOY)

Lamar Jackson did not get a lot of help from his team today. Four personal fouls in a game? Seriously? And the last one was among the dumbest penalties I have ever seen.

Towards the end of the game, Lamar's body language seemed to become increasingly frustrated. The guy's had a fantastic season, but goodness gracious, this game just has to have driven him nuts. 

But Lamar was also just missing too much, all game long.  

The PFs also strongly suggest the entire team felt the pressure, and didn't handle it.  If ya wanna take it further...there's always the classic after-the-fact argument that a team that *romps* through the season, isn't necessarily used to not having things their way.  

OH MY!!!!!!

END AROUND and a HECK of a job staying upright!  Lions draw first blood in less than 2 minutes!

This could be FUN!!!

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

If ya wanna take it further...there's always the classic after-the-fact argument that a team that *romps* through the season, isn't necessarily used to not having things their way.  

e.g., the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50.

:eg:

The Niners are REALLY good...

To me, the strongest test of a coaching staff is making the adjustments, and I'd say we can all agree Kyle Shanahan and his staff's adjustments worked rather well.

Oh well, I really did want the Lions to make it.  

And man, got to love a QB who can make plays with their legs.

I'm hoping McCaffrey's fine;  that last big run of his, that landing was NOT good.  Hopefully it's just a little neck tightness/soreness.

This is gonna be an interesting matchup.  Line's already set at Niners -3.  

The Niners may be the early favorites, but it seems to me a man could lose a lot of money betting against Patrick Mahomes. Even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't touch this game. Especially after what I've seen today. Everything changes, nothing is certain, and it ain't over till it's over.

Oh, I agree with all your points.  I'll toss in one more:  Mahomes' experience.  Hey, give Purdy ALL DUE CREDIT for his poise overall, but this is gonna be different.

Thought from earlier.  Lions...Texans...even to a point, the Browns.  Talk about rags to riches, near-instant turnarounds.  What impact is this gonna have?  **** PATIENCE, FIX IT NOW!!!  They did it so YOU DO IT!!!  TRADE UP!! SIGN THOSE OVERPRICED FREE AGENTS!!!  Fan bases have little patience anyway, right?  And ALL fans wear rose-colored contact lenses...the failings of, say, Denver in the free agent market are irrelevant.  

Reasons for me to root for and against each team (YRMV)

For San Francisco:

* Christian McCaffrey is the son of longtime Broncos receiver Ed McCaffrey

* It would be fun to see Mr. Irrelevant get a ring

Against San Francisco:

* I wanted the Lions to win

* They beat Denver in the most lopsided Super Bowl in history 

For Kansas City:

* Andy Reid is a disciple of LaVell Edwards

* They knocked out the Ravens

* Bonus: My brother-in-law is a full-tilt Swiftie

Against Kansas City:

* Division rival

* It would be fun to see Kadarius Toney not get a ring

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The Niners are REALLY good...

To me, the strongest test of a coaching staff is making the adjustments, and I'd say we can all agree Kyle Shanahan and his staff's adjustments worked rather well.

Oh well, I really did want the Lions to make it.  

And man, got to love a QB who can make plays with their legs.

I'm hoping McCaffrey's fine;  that last big run of his, that landing was NOT good.  Hopefully it's just a little neck tightness/soreness.

This is gonna be an interesting matchup.  Line's already set at Niners -3.  

And yet, If Reynolds catches EITHER of the balls for first down that hit him in the hands (and the 2nd stomach), I think Lions win. I am ok with the coach going on 4th downs when they did, shows your trying to win and its what he has done all season.

Yeah, I think the pushback against going for those 4th downs is often due to a dislike of analytics.  Analytics isn't football, it's geeky nerds who know nothing of the game!  I think many of the broadcasters still don't accept it...not well, anyway.  Another aspect is, I think, ingrained conservatism...points are never bad.  OTOH, 4th down plays, and 2 point conversion plays, can be overdone...there's only so many good ones in the bag.  Analytics is based on overall samples, but it doesn't readily capture nuances like you're down to your 4th or 5th best call...that has a lower chance to work.  Or that the defense will read what you're about to try...which gives them a better chance at stopping it.