Who is the MOST Annoying Villain you have Encountered?

Gauntlet

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

UNICoRN I could swallow, but CAToBLEPS would be pushing it. :doi:

Now, my friend--  let us remember there is a long tradition of....

;)

:rofl:

seriously though:

unless there is a meaning for catobleps with which I am not familiar (amd please enlighten me of that is the case), it is either "catoblepas" or "Katobleps."

13 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

seriously though:

unless there is a meaning for catobleps with which I am not familiar (amd please enlighten me of that is the case), it is either "catoblepas" or "Katobleps."

I have occasionally seen it spelled without the second A, presumably as a compromise (or confusion) between the Greek and Latin spellings.

Anyway, it was the '90s. You had to misspell everything to be kewl. (And what do you expect from a group of raving nutter third-tier villains? (Though at ;east they drew the line at being the "Kriminal Alliance...")

Dean Shomshak

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Firewing's obsession with great victories in honorable combat is really just an excuse to have a big super battle. There's no need to rationalize why a battle would break out, Firewing just showing up probably means one will.

Firewing holds a place in our Game Legends for the game where he was expected to distract the hero team.  Until the (massively) overconfident Brick called out "Hey Flame-boy.  You and me. One on one. Or are ya CHICKEN?"

In Phase 12, the player asked for the penalty to his EGO roll to bring himself to Dodge in the hopes of getting a PS 12 recovery.  He insisted on an Ego roll.  He succeeded, and Firewing missed by 1.  The Brick lasted another half a turn.  Meanwhile, the rest of team stopped the real opposition while he kept Firewing busy.

Edited by Hugh Neilson
Double Post

18 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

A cat blep is where the cat's tongue is merely sticking out.  As opposed to a cat mlem, where the tongue is engaged in an action. 

Or: blep is a Delayed Phase, while a mlem is the Phase being used.  😹

Seriously, it's a thing!

On 2/4/2024 at 4:39 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

Not to defend Clown specifically, but the possibility of challenges that cannot be resolved by violence seems quite appropriate for most games, especially Supers games.

I am saying Clown is bait for violent solutions. Not that non violent solutions are bad as you try to imply. Clown have soft targets mixed in with their hard targets spesifically made to make the players feel bad. 

This correlate with Clown being made to p**s on the pc's in general. 

Another example of a published character designed to p!ss on PCs is "The Champ," from 4E Alien Enemies. (I consider the Champ to be a blot on Scott Heine's otherwise excellent work for Champions.) The Champ is a former alien gladiator exiled to Earth for his social and political disruptiveness. On Earth he became a champion for the poor, trying to improve their lot in life; but he has no concept of how Terrestrial economics work, he just wants everyone to become "upper middle class."

To quote from AE p. 8: "The Champ Is an NPC who will always, always tell the players they aren't doing enough. It doesn't matter how much they've given; they still have enough to put gas in their car (go on a date, buy a hamburger, etc.), don't they? Conversely, the Champ may adopt one of the heroes as one of his poor brethren, and will offer him financial assistance, sage advice, and pep-talks. Nothing will dissuade the Champ that the hero is anything less than poverty stricken. If the hero says "I am not poor!" the Champ will look at him with pity and say, "It is no shame to be poor. Look, here is $5.00; go buy yourself a decent meal. Rice goes farthest, although oatmeal is also very healthy." Soon a visit from the Champ will be as welcome as a battle with Dr. Destroyer."

The Champ's "identifying quote": "Have you given money to [charity of the week]?" (If the character says, "yes," The Champ moves on to another charity.)

Also from p. 8: "The Champ has powers given to him by the arena's creators. He has tremendous defenses; this is especially annoying to villains desperate to knock him out (and shut him up). His missile deflection is invisible; it seems as if the Champ is just soaking up the damage."

I mean, it's all right there in the text! 😣

Edited by Lord Liaden

The most annoying villain would be one a GM made. Supposedly in the vein of the joker (not), the hero group is investigating odd things. Mind you, no crime or real reason to be there, and it's an abandoned town if I recall. Doors blow up on the heroes (no chance to detect or make a PER roll, etc). The villain has loudspeakers around so he can laugh at the heroes. The heroes start staying "Why are we here???"  Eventually, we demand to make PER rolls and so on. The villain shows up and we beat the living daylights out of him. The players never want to see that freak again.