Pain without damage

If it's a mental illusion of pain being caused, too...the target gets a breakout roll, and if he makes that?  No more pain.  That doesn't fit the notions of an agonizer or pain box at all.  The pain is real.

Mind, I agree mostly...a mental illusion can be a devastating approach.  it's been used in books a few times as part of a torture regimen.  I think, to work tho...the illusion has to be of some injury, and letting the victim's brain impute the damage.  I don't think I'd allow "you feel intense pain" without the clear source of pain.

And if you think of it that way, there's no limitation at all.

Limited by sense that is a -1/2 if it is a targeting sense and a -1/4 for a non-targeting sense. Pain would only affect the sense of touch.  Sight is ½, plus ¼ for hearing, and ¼ for smell/taste that works out to -1.  That does not include any limitations on what sensation of touch can be created. If pain only is the equivalent of single command it should be worth a 1 -/2.

But thinking about it at EGO plus 30 it would affect the other senses, so maybe a -1 would be about right.  Mind Control is more focused than Mental Illusion, so the value of the limitation is going to be different.  

For a pain box you could add the advantage constant so you even if you make the breakout roll it renews the effect.  

Posted (edited)

I’m starting to wonder if it could be a type of Ego Attack that doesn’t actually cause STUN damage. The dice are only rolled to see if the target is Stunned from the pain.

Edited by Steve

2 hours ago, Steve said:

I’m starting to wonder if it could be a type of Ego Attack that doesn’t actually cause STUN damage. The dice are only rolled to see if the target is Stunned from the pain.

That would be fine, I'd say.  Another one might be a Flash attack versus Touch...the pain lasts for multiple segments.

46 minutes ago, Durzan Malakim said:

There's a certain pleasing symmetry to using the Endurance attribute to endure pain. How about an Endurance drain? After the target's endurance is gone, you start draining their Stun, which maps well to pushing someone past their pain threshold and into unconsciousness. 

What's the goal?  Why is the person inflicting the pain?  How does draining END achieve it?  

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

What's the goal?  Why is the person inflicting the pain?  How does draining END achieve it?  

The goal is the same as what it's always been: to inflict pain without causing damage. Draining END is just one of many possibilities to model this. At the end of the day, this is a question that doesn't need a definitive answer unless and until the GM needs a game mechanic for it. To be honest I thought that the NND martial maneuvers were the traditional HERO system answer for pain-based attacks. An NND attack reduces someone to zero stun, which prevents them from acting until they recover. An endurance drain can reduce someone to zero endurance, which prevents the target from acting when those actions cost endurance. The target can still spend stun as endurance to push through the pain, which to me is an elegant solution.

2 hours ago, Durzan Malakim said:

The goal is the same as what it's always been: to inflict pain without causing damage. Draining END is just one of many possibilities to model this. At the end of the day, this is a question that doesn't need a definitive answer unless and until the GM needs a game mechanic for it. To be honest I thought that the NND martial maneuvers were the traditional HERO system answer for pain-based attacks. An NND attack reduces someone to zero stun, which prevents them from acting until they recover. An endurance drain can reduce someone to zero endurance, which prevents the target from acting when those actions cost endurance. The target can still spend stun as endurance to push through the pain, which to me is an elegant solution.

What I'm saying is back it up a step.  it's not the mechanic I'm questioning, it's the motivation behind doing it in the first place...and therefore, does draining END make sense to achieve that goal.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

What I'm saying is back it up a step.  it's not the mechanic I'm questioning, it's the motivation behind doing it in the first place...and therefore, does draining END make sense to achieve that goal.

@Steve wants to simulate items that cause pain but appear to do no actual damage. I don't know his motivations, because each of the examples he provides has a different purpose.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:12 PM, Steve said:

Examples of what caused my initial question: the Agony Box from Dune and the agonizer from Star Trek’s Mirror Universe. They caused pain but didn’t seem to cause any actual damage.

EDIT: Add in the Cruciatus Curse from Harry Potter that inflicts pain but no long-lasting damage.

• The Dune Agony Box is a test of self-control. Maybe that's more like a Ego test or an opposed test of resisting Interrogation.
  • The Star Trek Agonizer is a punishment and perhaps a type of transform where you become someone who obeys rather than face the pain.
  • The Harry Potter Cruciatus Curse is a straight up attack meant to incapacitate your foe.

An endurance drain would probably make more sense as an attack than as a test of will or a punishment.

Edited by Durzan Malakim
Fix typo

3 hours ago, Durzan Malakim said:

@Steve wants to simulate items that cause pain but appear to do no actual damage. I don't know his motivations, because each of the examples he provides has a different purpose.

• The Dune Agony Box is a test of self-control. Maybe that's more like a Ego test or an opposed test of resisting Interrogation.
  • The Star Trek Agonizer is a punishment and perhaps a type of transform where you become someone who obeys rather than face the pain.
  • The Harry Potter Cruciatus Curse is a straight up attack meant to incapacitate your foe.

An endurance drain would probably make more sense as an attack than as a test of will or a punishment.

So, in all these cases the pain is merely an SFX.

But this is HERO, the mechanic can have any SFX that can be reasonably applied. What we really need to do is determine, on a case-by-case basis, what the actual mechanic we are trying to achieve is. I don't think this can be narrowed down to one method.

Edited by Grailknight

Problem is that declaring that there is no damage with pain doesn't make sense. Pain is your bodies indicator that something is damaged. Now the damage may not be something that is going to kill you, there still is something damaged in some way. I am not seeing any point in any type of damage that doesn't at least cause a loss of STUN. I believe that is one of the big reason's Hero has two "Hit Point" types, BODY and STUN. 

Edited by Gauntlet

Just thinking about it, for some applications, a pain attack could be modelled as both STUN suppression and/or vulnerability (2x STUN) to successful attack on a particular hit location.  Both of these things would increase the chances of being knocked out or stunned. 

You can imagine that if you are already in pain that subsequent attacks might be more likely to take you out, you are less resilient.  Or, because you have an agonising pain (due to twisted or broken bones for example) and someone hits you in the same place that you might balck out for a short period due to the pain, or simply fall unconcious.

It does not deliver behaviour changes - players generally play their characters as far more indifferent to pain than would likely be the case.  To deliver behaviour changes, such as being worried about sticking your head back above the parapet, you need mechanics (like the PRE roll in Danger International).

Doc

On 4/28/2024 at 10:52 AM, Steve said:

This is why I suggested the Change Environment Stunning variant from APG1. 😁