Use of Mutants and Masterminds

Polaris

Greetings all,

I picked up a copy of Mutants and Masterminds, and, while OGL, it seems to have some similarity to the effects based character creation used by the Hero system. This would seem to make it rather easy to convert stuff made for one system into the other. Would others agree with this? Does anyone use anything produced for M&M for their Champions game (or vice versa.. since I think there is quite a bit more that has been produced for Champions)?

Polaris

Re: Use of Mutants and Masterminds

Originally posted by Polaris

Greetings all,

I picked up a copy of Mutants and Masterminds, and, while OGL, it seems to have some similarity to the effects based character creation used by the Hero system. This would seem to make it rather easy to convert stuff made for one system into the other. Would others agree with this? Does anyone use anything produced for M&M for their Champions game (or vice versa.. since I think there is quite a bit more that has been produced for Champions)?

Polaris

We're about to do so. Someone on some thread posted a link to a bunch of the M&M characters in Champions Stats. It was originally supposed to be for Champions. The stats are a bit low to my taste but they might be useful for you.

I think Freedom City is a fine product, a much better supplement for campaigning than Millennium City.

Re: Re: Use of Mutants and Masterminds

Originally posted by Agent X

We're about to do so. Someone on some thread posted a link to a bunch of the M&M characters in Champions Stats. It was originally supposed to be for Champions. The stats are a bit low to my taste but they might be useful for you.

I think Freedom City is a fine product, a much better supplement for campaigning than Millennium City.

The stats in question were for the MnM campaign supplement Freedom City (I agree with Agent X that it's an excellent setting). Author Steve Kenson was originally writing the setting with HERO System for Gold Rush Games' "San Angelo" line. Since he had the Champions character sheets for many of those characters and no more use for them, Steve generously put them up on a website for free download. (The gaming industry seems to be rife with cool Steves.) ;)

Anyway, here's where you can download the file and read Mr. Kenson's skinny on how it went down:

http://members.aol.com/talonstudio/freedomcity/fchero.html

Comparing the HERO and MnM writeups should help with converting between the systems.

I've been adapting a few M&M chr.s to Hero. Just an oppinion but It seems to me that everyone's campaign is different, 60 str is the tops in some and only moderate in others.

I find taking a good look at the other systems character then building it to suit your own campaigns characters and power levels works solves the translation problems as well as a straight translation.

PS I'd like to think that there's a place for the Atomic Brain in every campaign

• 6 months later...

The download of the scenario Church and State from RPGNow for M+M published as a Superlink is worth a look. The Mafia tries to start a fight between two paranormals, one a Battle Angel and the other a Marxist sound projector.

Look at the M+M site under the Superlink products.

Why is it any good ?

The pics are in colour.

You get combat sheets.

You get maps.

The maps and combat sheets when unzipped come seperately to the main adventure.

It's very good.

Our group (Agent X is a member) has begun using the Freedom City supplement. We've placed FC in the otherwise standard 5th edition Champions Universe. Since the player characters are the Freedom League and supposed to be the premiere team on the planet, they're built on 450 points. The damage classes are way up there, but so far it's been a lot of fun. The nice thing about Freedom City in that regard is that the FC villains have yet to be converted so I can match their power level to that of the PCs.

I also picked up Crooks for M&M, and there are some characters in there I intend to use as well. IMHO the feel that Freedom City has is superior to other ficitonal backgrounds because it feels very much like a comic book both while reading the material and playing the game. I can't say that about the games I've run in the standard 4th or 5th ed Champions Universes.

Cat

I switched my HERO campaign over to MM about a year ago. My players were more familiar with D20 than Hero...so it made sense to switch it over.

Here is what I'll say about MM:

1-They (Green Ronin) make great books. Pick up Nocturnals! Go get it NOW! It's a great 'dark' pulpy resource for your game. Fantastic book!

2-Freedom City has been compared to San Angelo a lot. It's a very detailed resource and I personally can't compare because I sadly don't own San Angelo...yet.

3-The two systems themselves are pretty compatiable imho. Same general premises...point based character generation and all that....

Did I mention go and get Nocturnals? Go get Nocturnals!

Shameless plug time:

I've done some art for some fairly interesting villains for M&M's upcoming Foes of Freedom... a villain book for Freedom City campaign. I was told a sneak peek will be up fairly soon over at Green Ronin. but it hasn't happened yet.

both Steves are great guys, i've enjoyed talking and working for both! Although Mr. Long and I go WAAAAAAAAAy back. I'm doing some work for the upcoming Dark Champions and I'm seeing art requests from Steve Long that go back to the original 4th ed, picking up on some visual ideas that I did then. Sheesh... I've been in this biz a long time.

More shameless plug, this time for Hero:

The dark champs cover is done and I think it is one of my best. I just saw the first draft for tradedress from Andy and it is coming along swimmingly. I expect a sneek peak of that closer to Gencon, but it is coming.

Just being even handed in plugging for my fav clients! .

More shameless plug, this time for Hero:

The dark champs cover is done and I think it is one of my best. I just saw the first draft for tradedress from Andy and it is coming along swimmingly. I expect a sneek peak of that closer to Gencon, but it is coming.

I think that we'll post the Dark Champions cover next week or the week after. But, Storn does not lie -- this cover rocks on toast!

Great work!

Andy

I switched my HERO campaign over to MM about a year ago. My players were more familiar with D20 than Hero...so it made sense to switch it over.

Here is what I'll say about MM:

1-They (Green Ronin) make great books. Pick up Nocturnals! Go get it NOW! It's a great 'dark' pulpy resource for your game. Fantastic book!

2-Freedom City has been compared to San Angelo a lot. It's a very detailed resource and I personally can't compare because I sadly don't own San Angelo...yet.

3-The two systems themselves are pretty compatiable imho. Same general premises...point based character generation and all that....

Did I mention go and get Nocturnals? Go get Nocturnals!

Hey now, let's not get too radical. :shock::)

We're using Freedom City and NPCs from the other M&M books but we are using the HERO System and the Champions Universe to plug the M&M stuff into. I've looked at the M&M system and it just has too many areas that require GM Calls for my taste.

Hey now, let's not get too radical.

Yah, I was kinda bummed about switching out of HERO...but I still have all the books...and all the d6's....so there may come a day again very soon where everyone shows up for gaming...gets handed their old Champs characters...and immediately get ambushed by Foxbat... :D

Following up Storn's shameless plug' date=' I've got one of my own -- The Algernon Files, my M&M heroes & villains book, is available for sale at your FLGS, or at http://www.blackwyrm.com.[/quote']

As a consumer - I sedond this. Go get this book. It is simply the best NPC book I have ever seen (and this from someone who collects superhero roleplaying). I consider it one of the top 5 superhero roleplaying books out there.