What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Killing Rocks, Book 3 of The Bloodhound Files, by L A Barant.

She started off strong in the 1st one, the 2nd wasn't so hot (IMAO), but #3 is a resurgence.

To be completely honest though, I think her greatest strength is in the world building, the plots are decent, & writing is craftspersonlike (& distinctly lacking in the sort of incoherency Laurell K Hamilton gets away with), but the amount of thought that appears to have gone into the world, & oblique exposition (as opposed to mass data dumps) in nice change from my favourite authors. (Ok, so I actually normally like Data Dumps)

I recently finished Unnatural Issue,the latest in Mercedes Lackey Elemental Masters series. Despite the misleading title, the true villain of the series is Richard Whitestone, who is probably the worst father ever. Blaming his only child for the death of her mother in childbirth, he has become a mighty necromancer, who plans to bring his wife back to life by transferring her soul into his daughter's body. The rest of the book details Susanne's attempts to evade him with the help of the other Elemental Masters, her nursing services in France during W.W. I. , a final battle in London between the two Earth Mages, and Susanne finally finding true love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I question the constant addition of new POV characters, which is confusing and makes it harder to relate to anyone. But otherwise I was pleasantly surprised, I didn't get the sense that the plot was careening out of control the way it seemed in AFFC.

I'm not too proud to admit I will pony up cash just to find out what's new with Brienne, Jaime, Tyrion, Arya and Jon. Bran's stuff was all foreshadow, no substance. If GRRM can write Sansa to redemption, or even likability, I'll kiss the hem of his robe.

Dances With Dragons was depressing. But, Martin decided to make a book of it when he realised that he really needed to hammer home the point that "good people can make bad kings."

In that light, the really surprising point is that we didn't get to see the outcome of the assault on Storm's End. What will we think of Varys if that goes south?

I think you have a point, but I would modify it to say that the demise of the short story market is part of the problem. If you can't make money writing short stories, it's hard to break into writing as a career. There are exceptions, N.K. Jemisin being one of them, but I think there might be more N.K. Jemisins if there were more than half a dozen avenues for publishing short stories for money.

I think you have a point' date=' but I would modify it to say that the demise of the short story [i']market[/i] is part of the problem. If you can't make money writing short stories, it's hard to break into writing as a career. There are exceptions, N.K. Jemisin being one of them, but I think there might be more N.K. Jemisins if there were more than half a dozen avenues for publishing short stories for money.

Indeed.

Part of the problem is - I've tried reading short story anthologies and, for the most part - Not that high-quality. Like someone (or several someones), somewhere, wasn't really trying.

I stick to old school anthologies--my cut-off date is usually the 70s or 80s--because the few modern anthologies I've tried have been junk. I'm not sure if writers aren't trying, like Narf said, or if there just isn't any good talent out there these days. Probably a bit of both.

I have the impression that established novelists (and their support structures) don't put as much effort into short stories, and that some anthologies are just collections of things that big-name writers kicked out as exploratory writings or whatever. Short story magazines seem to be higher quality. Still hit and miss, of course, which is the nature of the medium, but the quality control seems to be higher because the filter is set for story quality, not author name.

I tend to look for short story anthologies edited by Gardner Duzois, Ellen Datlow, or Terri Windling (or any combination of the three). Those are the three best fantasy/scifi/horror editors in the business right now, and they've got a good eye for great stories. Not every story in their anthologies is a winner, obviously, but generally you'll get more hits than misses.

What gets me is that I really like the short stories GRR Martin has written. Both in the Wild Cards universe, and the hedge knight "prequel" stuff he wrote in the Fire & Ice universe. Then he turns around and writes (and writes, and writes) the novels....

As to compilations/anthologies, I agree that there are a few good editors out there, but usually I look for an author I know is a good short story writer and hope he/she isn't just a tent pole. Neil Gaiman, for example.

Also, I have a subscription to Analog SF&F. Highly recommend it. It is pretty consistent, with some real standout pieces as well. I discovered Rajnar Vajra through Analog.

I tend to look for short story anthologies edited by Gardner Duzois' date=' Ellen Datlow, or Terri Windling (or any combination of the three). Those are the three best fantasy/scifi/horror editors in the business right now, and they've got a good eye for great stories. Not every story in their anthologies is a winner, obviously, but generally you'll get more hits than misses.[/quote']

Gardner Dozois is good and Martin H. Greenberg, who just died in June, edited some of my favorite anthologies. I could add a bunch of names if we were talking about old anthologies but Dozois and Greenberg are the only current editors that I trust. Although, I can't really call Greenberg current now that he's passed and besides he'd been editing anthologies forever! I'll look into Datlow and Windling as soon as I get a chance.

I'll look into Datlow and Windling as soon as I get a chance.

If you can find them, check "The Year's Best Horror and Fantasy," from St. Martin's Press, edited by Datlow and Windling. They put them out from about '90 to about 2006 or so. They are big, thick volumes with dozens of short stories, some from people you know and love and some from new, upcoming authors. In each one, there's maybe one story I hate, 10 or 12 I love, and the rest that are pretty good.

(This is assuming you like Fantasy and Horror, of course)...