What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

If you can find them' date=' check "The Year's Best Horror and Fantasy," from St. Martin's Press, edited by Datlow and Windling. They put them out from about '90 to about 2006 or so. [/quote']

Correction: 1988-2008. 21 collections total. I've got 'em all, and I was very, very disappointed when they stopped putting them out.

If you can find them, check "The Year's Best Horror and Fantasy," from St. Martin's Press, edited by Datlow and Windling. They put them out from about '90 to about 2006 or so. They are big, thick volumes with dozens of short stories, some from people you know and love and some from new, upcoming authors. In each one, there's maybe one story I hate, 10 or 12 I love, and the rest that are pretty good.

(This is assuming you like Fantasy and Horror, of course)...

Bought it on Amazon Kindle (app); just read "The Cambist and Lord Iron". Reminds me of the Screwtape Letters, in a way. Very good read.

Bought it on Amazon Kindle (app); just read "The Cambist and Lord Iron". Reminds me of the Screwtape Letters' date=' in a way. Very good read.[/quote']

I remember that story! One of my favorites. Sort of an economics lesson, a moral lesson, and a neat little steampunk-esque fantasy wrapped up in one.

"The Soulforge" by Margaret Weis.

Excellent book for Dragonlance Fans especially Raistlin Fans like me. Here we read about the characters' early lives in Solace and Raistlin's schooling climaxing when he casts a spell, Enlarge. which he's not really ready for to free a neighboring town from the influence of a Renegade Wizard, nearly gets burnt at the stake and finally, at an age much younger than customary, takes his Test at the Tower of High Sorcery.

Once again, Margaret Weis shows her great talent as a writer and obvious love of the character. The first few pages tell how she was introduced to Raistlin and came to like him best. The other characters' Origin Stories are also well developed and we get to see the beginnings of the people they will be in the War of the Lance series, which is the first Dragonlance series. Many of you are leery of prequels, but this one is an exception to the rule that most are not so good. There is a Sequel to this book called "Brothers at Arms" which I can't wait to read.

All in all, I give this book five giant Kender out of a possible five. Definitely check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

7th Sigma by Steven Gould. Excellent book!

Set in an American Southwest ravaged by bug-sized, metal-eating, self-replicating robots. There were two short stories set in the same world, A Story with Beans which appeared in the May 2009 issue of Analog, and Bugs in the Arroyo, available here on Tor.com.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

It was . . . okay. It wasn't as dark or creepy as I'd hoped. Read it expecting a young adult fiction ride of adventure and discovery. Read it ready to forgive some frankly clumsy exposition and you might enjoy it.

The concept was cute. The author picked a bunch of old and mostly unretouched photographs and strung a story around them. There's a lot of "old-time darkroom photoshop" going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Read Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden investigating his own murder and helping his loved ones beyond the grave. Favorite part, Cap Murphy just hanging up on his boss.

Also totally called who killed Harry, just not why.

CES

• 3 weeks later...

Recently finished "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks. Book 1 of the "Night Angel" triology.

This book has great action scenes (a big plus for me). I eagerly flipped the pages to see what would happen next. The magic systems (there were several) were interesting and non-typical. A big plus were the sneaky scenes, when the main character is using stealth tricks to infiltrate/assassinate. Overall, I very much enjoyed this book.

My one quibble was with some of the characters. Several characters were unbelievably evil. I actually expected one of them to twist his mustache and cackle with glee as he devised tortures for the protagonist... Others were sickeningly good. I prefer characters that have shades of gray.

I will definitely purchase/read the second book. I fully expect the "Night Angel" series to be a worthy addition to the fantasy genre if Weeks can keep the pacing consistently high and make the characters slightly less one dimensional.

Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris.

Sookie Stackhouse gets an inheritance from her cousin who was a vampire and has just died finally and then gets told to report to the Queen of Louisiana trumping Eric who is not best pleased as a result. She is also getting hassled by the Pelt family over their missing daughter Debbie (who Sookie killed with a shotgun in a previous book). The book is quick and easy to read and plots progress even if sex happens. A lesson now sadly lost on Laurel K Hmailton and Anita Blake.

Read Monster Hunter Alpha by Larry Correia. Earl Harbinger is the head of MOnster Hunter Inc and a werewolf. His old enemy is Nick Petrov, Stalin's best assassin, and a werewolf. The two of them are about to meet someone who thinks he should be the King of Werewolves

CES

Recently finished "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks. Book 1 of the "Night Angel" triology.

This book has great action scenes (a big plus for me). I eagerly flipped the pages to see what would happen next. The magic systems (there were several) were interesting and non-typical. A big plus were the sneaky scenes, when the main character is using stealth tricks to infiltrate/assassinate. Overall, I very much enjoyed this book.

My one quibble was with some of the characters. Several characters were unbelievably evil. I actually expected one of them to twist his mustache and cackle with glee as he devised tortures for the protagonist... Others were sickeningly good. I prefer characters that have shades of gray.

I will definitely purchase/read the second book. I fully expect the "Night Angel" series to be a worthy addition to the fantasy genre if Weeks can keep the pacing consistently high and make the characters slightly less one dimensional.

I enjoyed them, but you are right, some characters are despicably evil. Snidely whiplash would think they were tacky and scary.

Read Monster Hunter Alpha by Larry Correia. Earl Harbinger is the head of MOnster Hunter Inc and a werewolf. His old enemy is Nick Petrov, Stalin's best assassin, and a werewolf. The two of them are about to meet someone who thinks he should be the King of Werewolves

CES

I just read this yesterday. Pretty good. NOt perfect, but pretty damned good. The origin of the Werewolves was interesting.

I am wondering what will happen when Earl's new Hire meets his Accountant. :eg:

I was thinking how much worse is things going to get if things have gotten worse since the first book, and that situation was pretty bad.

CES

Then the second book, number four should be a M*(&*((*^&*^

All right. Read the second book Monster Hunter Vendetta by Correia. They killed an old one with reality. As an aside I like the little touches thrown in. One is the sand demon attack mentioned in both the second and third books. One of the survivors went to MHI. The other went to MCB.

CES

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Vernor Vinge, Children of the Sky. It's advertised as the direct sequel to Fire Upon the Deep, which is accurate in the sense that, well, it's a direct sequel to Fire Upon the Deep. Unfortunately, it's inaccurate in that the larger Galactic setting that drove Fire is thrown over for 400 pages about the medieval-level alien race that Vinge created for Fire, the Tines.

So, yes, the Tines are interesting and it's a good story, less a few pages of padding. But it ain't no Fire. Or even Deepness in the Sky. It's also less a good example of the "I've got to 400 pages, time to call it a day" school of writing. The story isn't over. Hopefully the next installment is more interesting. And that Vinge hasn't lost too many readers.

Oh? And Ravna Bergnsdottr? Least convincing female protagonist written by a male author (that I've read) in a good long time. Hey, Vern. Would it kill you to read a romance novel or two?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris.

Sookie Stackhouse is sent to Rhodes near Chicago as an assistant to the Queen of Louisiana who is on trial for the death of her husband, the King of Arkansas. Throw in sookie's new boyfriend the Weretiger Quinn and a Fellowship of the Sun plot to kill the vampires and mix well.