Best Sidekick Nominations

farik

I'm planning on doing a "Who's the Best Sidekick" poll tommorow so I'd like to hear nominations. I'm not looking for most powerful sidekicks I'm looking for "Best" defined however you like.

Examples

Arthur (sidekickof the Tick)

Dyno-mutt (sidekick of Blue Falcon)

Rusty (sidekick of Big Guy)

Good Lord! Does sidekick automatically = stupid? Dyno-mutt... blttthhhhhh!

Best sidekick? Was one of the first. Robin. Pretty much end of the discussion. But I'll back my arguement...

Granted, there have been times when he has been written for camp, or with a "boy identification" marketing in mind of yesteryear. And a godawful costume. But what character of 70 years has been written consistently well?

But Robin, whether its the girl from Dark Knight Returns or Tim Drake, is one of the most important icons of comic history. And the original Robin, Dick Grayson, has grown into a wonderfully nuanced, interesting man called Nightwing. Tim Drake is one of the most interesting heroes, sidekick or not, in all of comicdom. Hey, I love both Robin and Nightwing comics and I don't even read any of the other batbooks.

And an entire team of sidekicks kicked off a little book called the Teen Titans. And there ain't no Teen Titans without Robin. And we all can see how popular the Teen Titans are beyond comics even. And how important they were in the 80s revival of comics.

So keep your Joxor the mighty, or Snarf or Ookla or Bucky or Speedy or the Wonder Twins or Gleek or Gloop or Falcoln or Scooby Doo or even R2D2... a little bird beat them all to the finish line.

I'm fairly sure Rick Jones wasn't built as part of another character so I don't know if he actually counts as a sidekick. He is a great PoV character though.

My vote goes to Robin (Dick Grayson) too.

EDIT

Although, Streaky the Super-Cat, Bat-Mite and Bizarro Marilyn Monroe are pretty good choices too. Gotta love those Silver Age Bizarro stories.

Friendly Fire, 'kicks for the Fiery Blaze

Johnny Republic, 'kicks for Uncle Samson

Kid Caboose, 'kicks for the Runaway Train

Fish Boy, 'kicks for the Angler

Johnny Polite, 'kicks for Captain Decency

-AA

P.S. Okay, here are my serious nominations. Bear in mind that I know very little about the DC milieu.

Robin (the obvious winner)

Bucky

Arthur

Toro

Kitty Pryde (started out as a sidekick to the X-Men)

Kato

Tonto

And of course Pinky!

----

Brain "I will accept nothing less than mahogany!"

Pinky "There is no substitute for Diana Ross!"

Brain "We must head to a place where overweight, middle-aged people go to party and throw away money"

Pinky "Capitol Hill?"

Brain "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

Pinky "I think so, Brain, but me and Pippi Longstocking? I mean, what would the children look like?"

Bucky is the true sidekick. Moreso than Robin. Robin, all of them, have issues with their mentor and are always looking for ways to break away; Dick Grayson has been the most successful.

Bucky, on the other hand, always stayed true to the Unwritten Rules of Sidekicking. Even when Jack Monroe (the second Bucky, I believe) became Nomad, he'd still be Cap's sidekick when Cap was around.

The other sidekick I'd nominate would be Cato (Burt Kwouk) from the Peter Sellers' Pink Panther movies.

Fun :)