Lightsabre Combat!

NuSoardGraphite

Last year, an article appeared in the magazine; Star Wars Insider, about the Jedi fighting arts. It was an interesting read, if only a basic treatise on Lightsabre combat. I've done my best to reproduce this via the Hero System 5E martial arts system. This will be a multiple part post as I don't have enough time to post it all at once (i.e. big post)

The Lightsabre is an ancient weapon by the time of TPM. Its use has been documented and refined for millenia by Jedi and as with all martial systems, several substyles have emerged.

FORM I

Form 1 is the most basic form of Lightsabre martial arts. It is taught to all Jedi initiates when they first come to the Jedi temple on Coruscant (by Yoda, in the films) and is designed not only to teach them the basic use of their primary weapon of defense, but to refine their ability to sense the world around them via The Force.

Form 1 students are taught the rudiments of blade dueling. It is a cautious style given more toward defense than offense. It is here also that the student is taught to catch and deflect blaster bolts (and other projectiles) by sensing them with The Force and allowing The Force to guide one's hand.

Form I:

Maneuvers:

Basic Strike (3) Cut

Offensive Strike (5) Slash

Martial Block (4) Parry

Martial Dodge (4) Evade

Skills:

WF: Lightsabre (1)*

Breakfall (3)

Defense Maneuver II (5)*

Fast Draw (3)

Talents:

Combat Sense (3)*

Missile Deflection (20)*

Skill Levels:

CSL's are usually kept on DCV. Shift to OCV when facing unskilled opponents.

Form I teaches basic fighting maneuvers with the sword. It also teaches the student the basic skills necessary to facilitate combat against heavily armed opponents (usually a Blaster). Note that any skill with an "*" is required of the student to learn. Obviously, one must have the WF with Lightsabre to even begin learning the artform. Jedi are also taught to fight defensively in a 360^ arc around them (Defense Maneuver) and to sense opponents they can't see (Combat Sense). The Missile Deflection allows them to defend themselves against Blaster-armed opponents...since this is the weapon that Jedi Knights are most likely to be facing in the current age.

Form I is the most basic form of Lightsabre combat. They are taught this form when they are an initiate, usually by several masters. When an initiate is chosen as a Padawan, he/she usually begins instruction in their Master's Lightsabre Form, advancing beyond Form I into more advanced styles.

(Note all students learn Form I and gain the maneuvers/skills listed. The maneuvers from additional Forms will add to this list to fill out the Jedi's list of Lightsabre maneuvers)

FORM II:

Maneuvers:

Counterstrike (4) Riposte

Martial Disarm (4) Disarm

Bind (4) Lock

Escape (3) Disengage

Skills:

Sleigh of Hand (3)*

Tactics (3)

Talents:

Ambidexterity

Skill Levels:

CSL's are shifted between OCV and DCV to keep the opponent guessing. Shift to +DC to ensure a kill when necessary.

Form II is the dueling form. It is an ancient form no longer practiced among the Jedi because it is designed mostly for use against other blade wielders, which Jedi rarely face in the modern age.

Form II is one of the forms of choice for Sith who plan to face Jedi in duels for this purpose. Form II is a very precise, flowing form which looks similar to European fencing. It emphasizes parry's, counterattacks and disarms. The Bind maneuver is a favorite tactic of Sith so that they can take the time to subvert the Jedi's confidence with dark words.

This is the Form Count Dooku used in Episode II.

FORM III:

Maneuvers:

Defensive Strike (5): Slice

Defensive Block (5): Deflect

Counterstrike (4): Riposte

Skills:

Defense Maneuver IV (+5)

Talents:

Unbreakable Defense: Missile Deflection/Uncontrolled/Adjecent(+20)

Skill Levels:

Active Defense (3pt skill levels usable with Block and Missile Deflection)

Defensive Levels (5)

Expert Defense: PSL vs block/missile deflect penalties (4pts/+2lvls)

Form III was designed in response to the rise of the blaster as the main weapon of choice in the galaxy. It is a highly defensive artform. It is said that masters of Form III are invincible.

As mentioned, the style concentrates on defensive moves and counterstrikes. Practitioners of Form III expand greatly on the ability to deflect blaster bolts taught through Form I to the point that deflection becomes an instinctual reation (Uncontrolled Missile Deflection) and can even protect others from random blaster fire (Adjecent Missile Deflection).

(Notes: The Uncontrolled Missile Deflection works thusly; At the beginning of combat, the character must spend a phase to activate the missile deflection. From that point on during the fight, the character can use Missile Deflection without sacrificing one of his phases to do so. Note that penalties for multiple deflection attempts within a phase accrue as normal, and a missed deflection attempt ends the Missile Deflection power, in which case it must be activated again. Note also that a character cannot attempt to deflect an attack they cannot percieve. However, Form III masters have Defense Maneuver at the full 10pt cost, thus it is very difficult to surprise them!

Note2: Expert Defense is bought as Penalty Skill Levels vs Block and Missile Deflection penalties. These skill levels will allow multiple block and MD attempts at no penalty. Example: Obi-Wan has Expert Defense: +4 (8pts). This allows him to deflect up to 3 blaster bolts or Block 3 melee attacks at no penalty. They do not add to OCV, merely reduce the penalty for multiple block/MD attempts as normal for PSL's)

FORM IV:

Maneuvers:

Fast Strike (4): Lighting Strike

Passing Strike (5) Running Slash

Flying Dodge (5) Spinning Dodge

Skills:

Acrobatics (3)*

Defense Maneuver III (+3)

Rapid Attack-Hand to Hand (5)

Two Weapon Combat (10)

Talents:

Lighting Reflexes (3+)

Skill Levels:

Skill levels with Sweep are most common.

During combat, skill levels should be shifted more toward DCV than OCV to represent their acrobatic style. Acrobatics skill can be used to generate OCV bonues.

Form IV is a flashy, highly acrobatic form. It emphasises quick movements and attacks which include many spinning, leaping and twirling maneuvers. The training in Form IV concentrates on the Jedi using The Force to augment his body's movement. These attacks are often unpredictable and lethal. However, many Jedi feel that Form IV is too flashy and flamboyant for the order, but that doesn't stop it from being a popular form, nonetheless.

Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan both use Form IV in episode I. However, by Ep-2, Obi-Wan switches to Form III. Yoda is a master of Form IV and he shows it in his duel with Dooku in AotC.

Form IV masters should normally spend their CSL's on DCV, to represent the difficulty in hitting a Jedi moving at such speed, but can occasionaly shift them to OCV to represent an unpredictable move, or to DC to represent a high-velocity spinning attack. Even though most skill levels will be shifted to DCV (under normal circumstances) the Jedi can still generate decent OCV bonuses by using Acrobatic attack maneuvers as outlined in the Acrobatics skill description.

Form IV masters make frequent use of Sweep attacks, often purchasing 2pts +OCV skill levels with Sweep to reduce the penalty for multiple attacks. Jedi who use two Lightsabres at once are normally Form IV masters. The skill Rapid Attack is essential for Form IV masters, as it allows them to perform acrobatic half moves while still allowing multiple attacks to wear down opponents or clear a crowd.

FORM V:

Manuevers:

Sacrifice Strike(5) Reverse Slash

Sacrifice Disarm(4) Aggressive Disarm

Sacrifice Lunge(4) Lunge

Skills:

Analyze: Fighting Style(3)*

Talents:

Aggressive Negotiations: Add Missile Reflection (+20)

Skill Levels:

2pt lvls with Missile Reflection.

Form V was developed alongside Form IV during an era when Jedi were asked to take a more active role in maintaining peace throughout the galaxy. It addressed a need for greater power amongst the Jedi. Masters who felt that form III was too passive developed this form. Their philosophy was that while a Form III master might be unbeatable, neither could he necessarily overcome his opponent.

Form V focuses on strong and powerful lightsabre attack moves. A Form V master will observe his enemy for a short time to analyze his fighting technique, then will take advantage of any weaknesses in his opponents style.

Form V masters also exploit the ability of the Lightsabre to deflect blaster bolts, turning this highly defensive capability into an offensive attack. They use the force to control the angle of deflection so the bolt is reflected back at the attacker! True masters are able to reflect bolts in any direction they desire, as accurrately as any expert sniper can bullseye a target. Many Jedi find this use of their traditional weapon to be borderline in the Jedi Code of not using The Force for attack, but only for Knowledge and Defense. However, Form V masters often counter by saying that the Force enhanced accuracy necessary to perform such maneuvers requires a level of calm and immersion in The Force that excludes emotions which are normally associated with Dark Side behavior.....

Form V masters often use their skill levels to augment their OCV or DC rather than DCV. They attempt to overwhelm their opponents with big-damaging maneuvers and ending the fight as quickly as possible. Sith lords find Form V to complement them very well, as its emphasis on strength and attack goes hand in hand with their very nature. Anakin Skywalker dedicates himself to Form V after suffering a defeat at the hands of the Sith Tyranus during the opening battles of The Clone Wars. Later, Darth Vader continues to use Form V when he faces his own son, Luke at Bespin.

Note: Many Jedi develop the ability to use Missile Reflection with their Lightsabres even though they do not study Form V. This is merely indicative of a higher level of Force Enhanced skill with their weapon. However, most Jedi will not use this ability unless they absolutely have to (or against Droids and non-living opponents). Form V masters, however, specifically develop this ability to its fullest and they are generally the only Jedi who develop skill levels with this ability.

FORM VI

Maneuvers

Martial Strike (4) Slice

Counterstrike (4) Riposte

Fast Strike (5) Lighting Slash

Sacrifice Disarm (4) Deprive

Skills:

Tactics (3)

Talents:

Sentinal Adjecent Missile Deflection (10)

Skill Levels:

Lightsabre (3pt) and Defensive (5pt) are most common.

During combat, most practitioners of Form VI keep their skill levels balanced between attack and defense, shifting them around as necessary in responce to the situation.

Form VI is called the "Diplomat's Form" because it was adopted by most Jedi who wanted to concentrate more on the diplomatic duties of the Jedi rather than their martial side. A student of Form VI generaly spends a year or two with a master of forms III, IV and V after mastering the basics of Form I. This allows the practitioner of Form VI quite a bit of leeway in personal style as Form VI adopts moves from the other forms mentioned, rather than developing its own unique style. At the time of TPM and AotC, it is the most common style.

Many masters of other more disciplined Forms feel that Form VI is an incomplete form, and that practitioners of that form are vulnerable to a truly skilled opponent. Perhaps this is true, because all of the Form VI practitioners who fought at The Battle of Geonosis died in the arena fight.

FORM VII

Maneuvers

Fast Strike(4) Lighting Strike

Counterstrike(4) Riposte

Charge(4) Flying Slash

Martial Strike(4) Slice

Skills

Acrobatics(3)

Defense Manuever III (+3)

Analyze: Fighting Technique(3)

Sleight of Hand(3)

Rapid Attack(5)

Talents

Lightning Reflexes(3)

Sentinal Adjecent Missile Deflection (+10)

Avenging Angel Missile Reflection(+20)

Skill Levels

CSL w/Lightsabre(3) and Sweep(2) are most common. Defensive skill levels as well.

PSL or CSL w/block and Missile Deflection complete the package.

Form VII is the most difficult and demanding of all the Jedi Combat Forms, but it can lead to fantastic power and skill. Form VII employs bold, direct movments, more open and kinetic than Form V but not as elaborate in appearance as Form IV.

Form VII attempts to overwhelm opponents with series of unconnected attack maneuvers, making the form highly unpredictable in combat. Form VII draws from a deeper well of emotion than Form V, yet masters it more fully. The outward bearing of a Form VII practitioner is one of calm, but the inner pressure verges on explosion. Only high level masters of multiple Forms can achieve and controle the ultimate discipline known as Form VII.

NOTES:Generaly, a master of Form VII will have fully mastered one or two of the above listed Forms before beginning study of Form VII. This means that the Jedi will already have access to many of the maneuvers and skills in the Form VII list. He merely need purchase the one's he's missing to complete the package. Note however that the Flying Slash maneuver (Charge in the UMA) is unique to Form VII

Form VII masters use a very kinetic fighting style, but more direct than Form IV. Skill levels are normally shifted between OCV and DCV but will be shifted to DC when a strike is assured to achieve maximum damage. They use multiple attacks to wear down opponents, but seek to end the battle quickly, much like a master of Form V. Form VII masters are fond of using their Force-enhanced leaping and running bonuses to add damage to their Flying Slash maneuver, which is usually sufficient to finish off a tough opponent for good.

Mace Windu and Darth Maul were both Form VII masters.

There they are! All 7 Lightsabre Forms from Star Wars: Insider Oct-2002.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the article, but what you've got looks real interesting.

Did the article say anything about one-handed lightsaber fighting? I saw an item on the Star Wars website that told of a partially filmed scene with Ki-Adi-Mundi (the cone-headed Jedi--hope I spelled his name right) using a one-handed fighting technique aboard a Trade Federation ship.

Originally posted by wcw43921

I haven't seen the article, but what you've got looks real interesting.

Did the article say anything about one-handed lightsaber fighting? I saw an item on the Star Wars website that told of a partially filmed scene with Ki-Adi-Mundi (the cone-headed Jedi--hope I spelled his name right) using a one-handed fighting technique aboard a Trade Federation ship.

No, actually it didn't mention anything about a single-handed technique. However, it did mention (in a small, easy-to-miss sidebar) that using two Sabres at once was a variant of Form IV...

Originally posted by shadowcat1313

then theres the rare form practiced by the scottish jedis

who train wih the Light Caber... kilts optional of course

Don't you mean the Light Claymore (or claidh more, if you prefer)? What about the Japanes Jedi who practice with Light Katanas?

Originally posted by austenandrews

As an aside, did you see the footage going around the net right now with McGregor and Christianson practicing and performing The Duel for Episode 3? They say it's going to be ten minutes of pure saber fighting at a speed similar to Maul-Kenobi. The clips on the net suggest that's true.

Pretty cool.

-AA

Can you post a link of this footage please?

NuSoardGraphite,

Man, between your contributions to the Wheel of Time fighting styles and this here, I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have a Talent for converting literary fighting styles to HERO system terms. I wonder how much you paid for that. :) To top it off, you do an outstanding job with the mecha and vehicles that you post. Thanks for all the hard work and understand that I'm really envious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could give credit where credit is due for this article, but the link that contained this and many other increabily useful and wonderful articles about lightsabre technology and combat has since gone dead, and I have been unable to find the page again.

MODEL SIX: virtual light produced from a spinning field surface

The idea & physics behind this model supplied by the incredible Mr. Albert Forge.

This model is similar to model five, but is FAR more solidly based in REAL physics, and is a FAR better match for the observed sabre (and blaster) behaviors! It provides a theoretical answer to ''where does the 'stuff' of the blade come from'' *AND* actually NEEDS both a field AND rotation!

According to astrophysicist Yakov Borisovich Zel'dovich, a rapidly spinning conductor will cause the creation of virtual particle radiation at its surface. Particle production is controlled by the charge, angular velocity (of rotation) and radius of this charged conductor.

If we imagine a rod shaped charged field of atomic-scale cross-section, which is super-conducting and rotating at near-lightspeed, then charge regulation becomes the control for the particle emission type and quantity. Such charged fields would tend to repel one-another (if they are of like polarity), which means the blades would BLOCK one another.

NOTE: a sabre would have to be built carefully and tuned correctly! A badly adjusted sabre would subject its user (and everyone in range) to considerable amounts of gamma radiation!

The glow of the sabre blade consists of virtual-photons energized by the rotating field into real photons ...virtual light made real! The opaque 'thumb-thick' blade shape may be a swirl of ionized atmospheric particles (the AIR) drawn in and swirling about the core. When you IONISE a gas, you actually have a PLASMA (as it is meant by terrestrial physics) ... and this would glow JUST LIKE A FLUORESCENT TUBE (which is ALSO a plasma!). BUT this thumb-thick plasma zone is merely a by-product. The REAL cutting is performed by the minuscule core of the true blade, leaving almost microscopically thin cuts. (The blade would STILL glow fiercely in even in a vacuum, as it throws off 'virtual photons - made real' -- but the thumb-thick core may not be visible.)

Such a tight, rapidly spinning charged super-conducting field would rend (tear) through most matter by stripping off electrons, which bind atoms together. The ionized matter about the 'cut', as well as field-excited atomic movement in the localized area of the 'cut', would mimic great point-of-contact heat. A wound to a soft-tissue organic being would appear to be a microscopically thin BURN - and such a wound would usually tend to be cauterized (depending on how slowly the blade passed through - a large blood vessel cut too quickly may not be sufficiently 'burned' to cauterize).

Dense metals which have loosely bound electrons (which are free to wander about their lattice structure) would be more resistant to cutting. The 'atom stripping' effect would take a little longer to cut through, because such materials have more electrons 'to spare' before their lattice structure becomes "torn." Metals are also more highly conductive, and the localized 'heat' effects are minimized because the heat is carried away and dispersed through the material more quickly.

This means that even though with varying amounts of effort, a lightsabre could cut through virtually anything, some materials would offer more resistance to a sabre blade, and therefore we can now understand how Lord Vader's armor was able to ward off most of Luke's glancing blow, saving his life. Lord Vader's life is spared despite this glancing blow to the shoulder by Luke Skywalker because the dense metallic armor he wears is more resistant to the 'atom sheering' effect of a lightsabre blade. Luke just didn't hit HARD enough to get all the way through!

Mr. Albert Forge has gone further, and has postulated a mechanism for the generation of the spinning field which creates the blade described above. Imagine a tiny sphere of unknown composition (perhaps some of the 'hypermatter' referred to in the SWICS & SWVD books by LFL's Dr Reynolds). Rapidly spin this into a disk by the effect of inducing fields (probably EM). The disk deformed and elongated into a tube, or rod (imagine the sleeve of a shirt being turned inside out) by an axially mounted and powerful electron gun (like the tube of your TV). Field extension/retraction would be controlled by altering the output of the electron gun (which incidentally also controlled the charge of the conducting field ... the spin rate is determined by the inducing EM fields that created the disk from the sphere in the first place).

'Focussing' in this case may then be the very-rapid application of 'tuning' precession forces upon the extended field in order to 'follow' the orientation of the hilt, as left to itself it would tend to gyroscopically resist orientation changes.

[NOTE: Mr. Forge would like to say that all the above, which having its roots in 'real' physics, is speculative, and must be taken with "several solar masses of sodium chloride" *grin* ... IMHO however, it is a VASTLY more consistent and believable model than any other. It just 'could' possibly work! *AND* it matches ALL the observed and ascribed conditions!]

ADVANTAGES OF MODEL SIX

+ it SPINS - matching my 'gyroscopic angular inertia' ideas (independently supported by the SWVD)

+ no 'plasma' or 'fuel' required other than raw power

+ the blade is PURE energy

+ the blade is opaque

+ there is a sensible 'focussing' (tuning) role for crystals which COULD see them able to adjust the color!

+ the blades would block one another AND blaster bolts!

+ it hums

+ it glows, even in a vacuum!

+ the cuts are microscopically thin

+ it cuts by 'shearing away' the electrons in the substance, leaving a locally 'induced' heat-like reaction; in other words, leaving burns & cauterized wounds! Dense metallic surfaces with many stray electrons in their matrix would provide higher resistance to the 'electron stripping' cutting action...thus Vader's armor stops the glancing blow from killing him!

A question from Mr. Doran Skalak about gravitic effects prompted me to ask an astrophysicist (Curtis Saxton) questions about high-speed rotations and relativistic effects: the following comments are my own attempts to explain what he told me, and I may have made any number of scientific errors.

In Model#6 there is a 'virtual' object ROTATING at the core of the blade, a forcefield of almost zero mass (I assume) which has a NON-MECAHNICAL induced spin applied at near lightspeed [c] to achieve the Zeldovich effect as described above.

Apparently, objects moving at near 'c' WILL undergo the mass-effects predicted by Einstein even if they have near zero mass, because the equations effect ENERGY, and mass is merely one form of energy. As a result, the spinning blade will NOT ONLY undergo gyroscopic resistance to changes in angular orientation (being waved around), but will ALSO suffer SOME DEGREE (unknown) of relativistic gravitic effects. In effect, the blade may acquire some 'virtual mass' - FROM the relative standpoint of the user.

Further, these effects will produce a form of 'event horizon' effect at the boundary (not incompatible with Zeldovich's 'virtual light' predictions I assume) which you would expect could account for the noise, the glow and the terrible destructive capabilities of the 'light' blade.

Sabres and Blasters related?

Now comes the REAL speculation! It was postulated in Model Three (Field contained plasmoids) that the Sabre beam may be related to the Blaster Bolt - as though the sabre were a 'static' gunshot, or more correctly, that the blaster bolt is a 'mobile sabre blade'. This is a fascinating idea, but it has a serious drawback ... there are instances in the films where damage is done BEFORE the visible part of the bolt arrives. The 'contained' model CANNOT explain this.

BUT the 'virtual light' model CAN. *IF* Blasters and sabres originate from the same principle technology, then blasters MAY be such 'spinning fields' which can exist for a time on their own, and can be projected along a vector (ie: fired!). Such a 'bolt' would indeed leave a TRAIL OF LIGHT in its wake! The 'damage' may well be done BEFORE the visible part of the bolt arrives!

Since a blaster is like a sabre, and since sabres block one-another, a sabre can block a blaster bolt! BUT this would be VERY VERY difficult to do because the sabre blade is so thin, and the blaster bolt so very fast!

A Turbolaser may be a rotating field of larger diameter. Perhaps such larger fields would retain their coherence for longer (after leaving the emitter) and thus have greater range. If the field integrity decays beyond a certain point, its rapid rotation may cause it to 'explode' beyond a certain distance from the emitter. This would explain the 'flak bursts' observed in the film when some shots miss their targets.

The asteroid hit by the Star Destroyer in TESB would first be 'drilled into' by the bolt, then exploded (vaporized in fact!) from within when the bolt's rotation collapsed - it would essentially have had its constituent atoms ripped apart from the inside out!

A possible VIRTUAL-LIGHT MODEL history of the lightsabre

Imagine the following: "Many many years ago, it was discovered that a powerful 'plasmoid-like' substance could be generated and held in place by a spinning field. A deadly blade of light was made which could 'chew' it way through almost any substance, leaving a very thin cut with signs of a burn. The very nature of the field meant that one field was thoroughly opaque to another. These blades could block one another, and the best defense against a blade, was another blade. The LIGHTSABRE was born. A powerful and noble weapon, it gave the advantage in hand-to-hand troops who (with high-density armor and perhaps even personal repulsor shields) were impervious to primitive slug-throwing weapons.

Much later, advances in the science of field technology allowed for a spinning 'virtual-light-generating' field to be DETACHED from its generator and flung out for quite some distance before it finally dissipated. The BLASTER was born! Only the most supremely skilled sabre-user could take advantage of the fact that a sabre could deflect a blaster bolt. The Jedi became the most prominent users of the lightsabre.

Later still, someone realized that if you fired a spinning field with a different set of settings (such that it didn't generate the deadly virtual light), you could still paralyze most sentients from the field charge alone. It was like firing a 'blank'. The STUN BOLT was born.

Military technicians discovered that the life (RANGE) and capacity (POWER) of the blaster bolt could be improved by enhancing the spin somehow - they applied a sort of 'turbo-charger' to the field. The TURBOLASER was born."

Originally posted by ChaosDrgn

I din't know if this is too late to state or not. The SWd20 book The Hero's Guide has write-up for the different styles of lightsabre combat the Jedi use.

Yes.

However, it has been publically acknowledged that:

1. The write-ups in the Hero's Guide do not correspond 100% with the article in Star Wars Insider.

2. There were unspecified editorial gaffes in the writeups as published vs. as originally written by the Hero's Guide authors.

So, if I were playing d20 Star Wars, I might use the write-ups in Hero's Guide, simply because they're there and readily accessible. However, for HERO Star Wars, I'd prefer a conversion from the Star Wars Insider article to one from the Hero's Guide.

Originally posted by Kristopher

I'm not so sure that it's fitting to add DCs to a lightsabre attack. They don't do their damage through kinetic energy, as an energy blade has little or no mass.

Useful reference for Star Wars conversions:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/

Anyone is free to ignore any part of the writeups that they wish. Thus, those who don't like to add DC's to Lightsabres don't have to. What i've found though, is that while the majority of posters here don't like to add STR to lightsabre damage, there are quite a few who don't mind Skill Levels adding DC to the attack, which simulates a Jedi with greater skill/force mastery doing more damage with his or her or it's Sabre...which mimics the Lightsabre Combat force power from WEG's version of Star Wars RPG, which allowed increases in Lightsabre damage.

It also bothers me greatly that a person with a Two Handed sword, great strength and some skill levels could potentially do more damage than a Lightsabre (6DC TH-sword maxes at 12DC or 4D6K). Unless you allow STR and/or Skill Levels to add to the damage a Lightsabre does, it will not be the supreme weapon in the Star Wars Universe, which it should be. The options of adding DC to Lightsabre damage are listed for those who wish to use them in said manner.

I'd make a Lightsabre with no range RKA and at least one level of Penetrating, though, and rule that most material weapons can't block it -- they automatically take damage to the focus.

I can see adding damage classes based on skill, but I still think adding STR isn't fitting. Of course, I don't think I saw you say either way regarding STR...

My Lightsaber Combat rules

Lightsaber;

Hand killing Attack (Energy): 1.5d6 ALVD (Combat Luck, +1 1/2), Does Body (+1), Reduced end (0end, +1/2) (100 Active points), OAF (-1), Independant (-2), Has no effect on energy shielding (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/2), -1 stunX (-1/2), No Strength to damage (-1/2), Str min (6, -1/2), real weapon (-1/4)....Real points: 17

I'm using hit location as well.

Combat luck will cost 1pt for 1pip of resistant Def (ED or PD) and is only available to PCs and important NPCs.

Martial Arts DC's do add, in my campaign, to the lightsaber's damage. Since I don't want Jedi cruising around W/12-16d6 martial strikes I've created a special 6pt DC just for lightsabers, but 2 regular 4pt martial arts DCs will also add.

As a rule any (non-lightsaber) weapon that successfully blocks the lightsaber will take the lightsaber's base damage.

For those of you who haven't noticed, I updated the post. I've added Form V to the list and Form VI will be added either on the morrow, or perhpas later this evening.

While I am on the subject, if you noticed, I did not account for the OAF limitation in the Missile Deflection and Reflection "Talents" listed in the Forms. Thats because I wasn't sure how individual GM's were going to deal with Missile Deflection in their SW campaigns and I decided to leave it up to them which limitations apply. (though the Uncontrolled advantage is figured in to the cost of Unbreakable Defense)

My personal suggestion is merely to slap the OAF-Lightsabre limitation to any Missile Deflection/Reflection power purchased. However, some may also want to include a Requires Skill Roll limitation (Control Force skill) if appropriate to one's campaign.