SIDEKICK!!!! I own, yes I do.

Rick

Well I bought it in a stor in Fullerton Orange County. I take the Train up here every Mon, Wed and Friday for school...

No my friends also the primary GM so I like to keep my promises to him.

Home is a long way away. So it'll have to wait till my train ride down tonight.

Oh man I dislike Game Empire a lot. I'm glad I found the Game Castle in Orange County....right down the street from my school. That place Kicks ass...Any one in Orange County, its on the corner of State College and Champman, on the row of stores including Round Table pizza.

Oh well yeah.

It really reminds me of 4th edition. They left out a lot of the new adders, as well as the more complex powers (noteably Damage Reduction), advantages and limitations.

I wish that Fred was as concise in it's discriptions as SK is. None of the combat skills were in it. Like I said it's very 4th edition. There is a lack of flexabilty do some of the edits but I think that that was expected and didn't detract from it for me. I think it will be good to get new players in to it. You read this 117 pages (really less than half of that needed to play) and come to the game that I use all of the rules for. For groups of newbies where no one has ever played this will be WORLDS less intimidating.

Bought 2 copies from Game Empire, San Diego, tonight. Ill give one to a new player and keep one for a reference/future loaner.

An initial flip through is very positive. This was a great thing to do, and I wish I had had one of these in the past -- I lost more BBBs and HS #500's than I care to think about by loaning them out to prospective players in the old days.

The cover looks tight, with a riff on the hex man. The baby blue on black color scheme is friendly and welcoming. The tight 125 pages is non-threatening. It has Randall Irons. A lot of hand-holding occurs in the writeups, with lots of examples and sidebars clueing you in to things that arent in SK but are in FRED.

We hereby declare it "SWEET" :D

Randall Irons is still the Pimp-master, by the way.

Meant to mention, there were still about 5 copies left at GE on the new releases rack for the 50 other San Diegan's on these boards, and at a cursory eyeballing they had at least 12 distinct HERO Games books in stock too, so they are still carrying our favorite system pretty strongly. ;)

Originally posted by devlin1

I'm curious to see it, but I can't think of a reason for me to actually get it. Is there any benefit at all to someone who owns and is familiar/comfortable with FREd?

Sure. I plan to use it as a lightweight "player's handbook" sort of thing I can toss in my bookbag for when I'm not running the game. No need to lug around the full FREd when the slim, trim, Sidekick will do. :)

I also bought a copy for my wife, in hopes of turning her to the Dark Side... err, I mean, in hopes of assimilating her into the collective... err, I mean, in hopes of teaching her about role-playing games. ;)

Yeah, my ex-wife gamed D&D and HERO System with us for a while but she sucked so bad at it I asked her to stop. That went over well, but you have to have your priorities straight :rolleyes::D:confused:

My current wife tolerates my odd hobby, even played Mordheim with us for awhile (and kicked all of our arses on many occasions Im proud to say), but has subzero interest in roleplaying.

More power to you though if you can bring your wife over to the Geek Side, Darren. ;)

I knew there was a reason Game Castle was sold out... It's you guys! ;)

Actually, I don't need the book so much, I was just curious... and at $9.99 it's worth a peek.

At least you didn't buy all the Hero System Vehicle Sourcebooks when I was there. Now I need to create an adventure where I can use the Riverboat. Maybe Huck Finn as a supehero... Okay, I guess that's sorta been down with the other guy...