The end of FREd, the beginning of ???

Jhamin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kristopher

There's no need for a 5th Revised.

Sure there is. It'll include part of the FAQ, all of the Errata, and the Genre by Genre document that got cut the first time.

If you look at most of the questions Steve gets on a daily basis, the answer is "look at the FAQ". Including that info in the book will make things much easier on everyone.

All it really is is an error clarified and corrected print run.

D

There is alot of discussion on this over in the company questions forum. It has it's own topic & discussion has spilled over into the "When do "we" get to know" thread.

FREd Jr. is a way to go, but it sounds like it will be just as big, so Jr. seems inappropriate. It is also 4 more keystrokes, which is a pain.

FREdRe perhaps?

For me, it would depend on just how substantial the changes/additions would be. When Steve Long has addressed the subject in the past, he's implied that any "updated" version of 5E would not have substantial changes to organization, layout, etc. But he does seem to be fond of springing surprise goodies on us.

If it's just errata, a few textual additions and clarifications, and maybe some additional material at the end, I'd be satisfied with "FREd2." If the revision is more substantive, though, we may need something to distinguish this book from its predecessor for reference purposes.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

If the revision is more substantive, though, we may need something to distinguish this book from its predecessor for reference purposes.

Well, like with Fred itself, we just have to wait for Steve or Darren to say something about the book we can take out of context to use as a name.

Or, we have to wait to see what they come up with for a cover...

Fred 2. Fred Jr. Morefred.

I'm partial to Fred+, myself.

D

Originally posted by Jhamin

There is alot of discussion on this over in the company questions forum. It has it's own topic & discussion has spilled over into the "When do "we" get to know" thread.

FREd Jr. is a way to go, but it sounds like it will be just as big, so Jr. seems inappropriate. It is also 4 more keystrokes, which is a pain.

Im bigger than my dad. ;)

Originally posted by Dr.Device

Junior would be okay, but then all the sidebar powers would become Junior Samples[1], and I don't think any of us want that.

I vote for reFREd.

[1] No, I won't explain the reference. If you don't recognize it, consider yourself lucky.

Unfortunately, I do understand the reference. :(

I think the critical thing to keep in mind is that if the title is going to be used, is has to be concise. BBB and FREd caught on partly because they were quick and easy to type. Two or Three word names are too hard to type.

reFred actually works pretty well. Unfortunatly there is baggage....