The end of FREd, the beginning of ???

Jhamin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the options given so far, I like 5R ("fiver") and FREdRIQ best.

However, I'd much rather the new book were being called the Sixth Edition rather than Fifth Revised, for several reasons. The three main reasons are 1) because a revised Fifth Edition, especially when revised this much, basically is Sixth Edition, 2) to avoid page-reference confusion, and 3) so we can commence calling it SHREd (Sixth Hero Rules Edition). :D

After the WoTC trauma suffered in my circle of friends with 3.5 (come on, what is it? a computer program? At least with those you get a discount to upgrade) .. I'd be a little unhappy with a 5thRevised/Updated/Whatever book.

You know what'd I'd like to see? An Adder book (heh, even fits the game mechanic). Not yet another full rule book.

Just take all the Errata, the FAQ, the Genre by Genre section, a few sample characters and put it in a book, call it Fifth Edition Adder and sell it moderately priced. Or even exorbatantly priced. The last thing I want is one more outdated complete/full rulebook sitting on my shelf catching dust.

And so you can satisfy those who don't want to buy two rule books just to start playing put out a full printing of the revised if need be .. but please, just don't make me pay for a complete set of rules again so you can fix some typos and add a bit of errata. Really.

Make the Adder Book a soft cover, or better yet offer up a PDF version I can buy online .. anything but a complete edition of the rules again.

that's my opinion at least.

Originally posted by ghost-angel

You know what'd I'd like to see? An Adder book (heh, even fits the game mechanic). Not yet another full rule book.

I think it would be a mistake to make new players buy an out-of-date rulebook for $40, then tell them they need to buy another book to get the updates. Much better to consolidate the fixes in a single place. (As, in fact, plenty of people have been asking for all along... you can't please everyone.)

As I pointed out elsewhere, by the time the Revised book is released, it will be three years after FREd. That's the same length of time as the gap between the 1st and 3rd editions of Champions, and three times as long as the gap between 1st and 2nd edition. It's not unreasonably soon, IMO. :)

Originally posted by Nevenall

If FRED is the Fifth Revised EDition, then how about FRRED for Fifth Revised Revised EDition.

FRREd, I like that one. At least it doesn't make it too much more complicated than it already is. I would prefer to call it what it is, the HERO 5th Revised. Or HERO5, Revised. Or something that isn't confusing.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I think it would be a mistake to make new players buy an out-of-date rulebook for $40, then tell them they need to buy another book to get the updates. Much better to consolidate the fixes in a single place. (As, in fact, plenty of people have been asking for all along... you can't please everyone.)

As I pointed out elsewhere, by the time the Revised book is released, it will be three years after FREd. That's the same length of time as the gap between the 1st and 3rd editions of Champions, and three times as long as the gap between 1st and 2nd edition. It's not unreasonably soon, IMO. :)

Well, I did make that case. What they should do is offer the parts they revised seperately for those who do not want to buy another complete rule book and reprint the rules with all the changes, effectively taking the old book out of print so only one Full Rule Book is out there.

I don't replace anything nearly as often as I do System Rule books, and it gets annoying because I'd rather be spending the money on supplements to enance the game. Even if it were simply an electronic version of the rules updates it'd be a better option IMO (and wouldn't incur printing costs).

just some thoughts. In today's world of PDF and online pruchasing it shouldn't be an extremely hard thing to do for an updated rule book ..

On the other hand if the mechanic had changed so much they actually call it Hero 6 then that's a different story - but I don't see that coming anytime soon at all. (of course, what I see and what is real can be very different.)

Originally posted by ghost-angel

Well, I did make that case. What they should do is offer the parts they revised seperately for those who do not want to buy another complete rule book and reprint the rules with all the changes, effectively taking the old book out of print so only one Full Rule Book is out there.

D'oh! Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. :o

Originally posted by Kintara

FRREd, I like that one. At least it doesn't make it too much more complicated than it already is. I would prefer to call it what it is, the HERO 5th Revised. Or HERO5, Revised. Or something that isn't confusing.

Since Steve is already referring to it as "5ER", I suggest using that, pronounced "Fiver". I would still prefer using the term FREd, and only using 5ER, when specifically addressing the revised books as opposed to the old one.

Keith "Watership Down fan" Curtis

A revised edition won't solve anything. There will always be some errata or Q&A that's been missed, and people will call for a revised revised edition.

How about making the next printing a 3 hole punched binder? That way any errata can be fixed, and it'll be trivial to issue replacement pages to purchasers, or have a pdf file on the website so that people can print out the revised pages themselves. Plus it should be a lot cheaper than a hardbound copy.

The only problem I would see is that there would have to be some mechanic to guard against piracy.

Originally posted by Gary

A revised edition won't solve anything. There will always be some errata or Q&A that's been missed, and people will call for a revised revised edition.

And some years after 5ER, I'm sure there will be a revised revised edition. 'Course, they might just call it "Sixth Edition" by that point. ;)

How about making the next printing a 3 hole punched binder?
A 400-page book in a binder? I think that's a bad idea for a wide array of reasons. It wouldn't be durable, it wouldn't sell well, retailers wouldn't want to stock it, people would complain about pages falling out, people would complain about having to print replacement pages... it would just be generally bad, IMO.

TSR learned that lesson with the Monstrous Compendium products. The only hole-punched RPG product I ever thought was a good move was the DC Heroes RPG Who's Who products, and they were only good because they went hand in hand with the hole-punched Who's Who from DC Comics (so you could put the comics Who's Who page and the gaming Who's Who page together in a binder.)

YMMV, of course, but I personally think this would be such a bad idea I would be tempted to violate my 20-point Must Own All Things Hero Psych Lim and give it a miss if it was published in this format. Fortunately for Hero Games (though perhaps not for my wallet), I don't think they have any intention of publishing it as anything other than a hardback book (and that, I'll buy several of). :)

No 3-hole please. My Monstrous Compendium fell apart within months of play, with pages getting 3-hole-torn out, and the cardboard covers getting crushed by the weight of hardbound supplements in my game bag or on the shelf. Plus 3-ring binders dont store well on shelves thanx to their triangular footprint.

I usually agree w/ Gary, but not on this one ;)

Originally posted by Nevenall

ExFRED, for Expanded FRED.

Better: FREdEx! (Fifth rules edition, expanded)

And I agree that binder format would be bad. All my Monstrous Compendiums also got bent (misaligning the rings), which meant that all the pages tore.

OTOH, if each page is in it's own clear protector (like some Star Fleet Battles guys do--1000+ individual sheet protectors! and you thought *we're* obsessive) it'll work fine. But I can't imagine that happening.

Besides, if you want FREd in binders, I bet a copy shop can slice and punch it for you.