The end of FREd, the beginning of ???

Jhamin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see myself buying a new edition as described here. If I want genre info, I'll buy the genre book. That way I only buy the books for the genres I'm interested in.

ATTN: Steve Long:

I may buy it eventually, but I will absolutely not buy it at all if:

It still includes the idiotic line: "No temperature level 0 exists."

Take that line out, and I'll most likely buy it sooner or later.

Are there any other glaring mistakes that need correction?

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

I cannot see myself buying a new edition as described here. If I want genre info, I'll buy the genre book. That way I only buy the books for the genres I'm interested in.

Well, this is clearly a brilliant strategy for getting the changes you want, Phil. First tell Steve you probably won't buy the book anyway. Then imply that he's an idiot (since he wrote the line you describe as "idiotic"). Then order him to write the book to your specifications.

With sweet-talking like that, how can he possibly resist?!? :rolleyes:;)

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Well, this is clearly a brilliant strategy for getting the changes you want, Phil. First tell Steve you probably won't buy the book anyway. Then imply that he's an idiot (since he wrote the line you describe as "idiotic"). Then order him to write the book to your specifications.

With sweet-talking like that, how can he possibly resist?!? :rolleyes:;)

I have no expectation at all of getting the changes I want.

I am not implying Steve is an idiot. I am saying that that one statement is idiotic. To think that HERO gamers, who have already signed on to do a lot of math (granted, it's only simple arithmetic), can't deal with the concept of the number zero, is just foolish. And the the FAQ goes on to make the situation even worse. You shouldn't have to create a whole new system of number theory where 2-1=1, but 2-2=-1.

I am not ordering anyone to do anything.

If the revised edition only corrects grammar and formatting errors, it isn't worth buying *to me*. If it's actually going to correct flaws in the rules, such as the one I cited, then the purchase becomes more worthwhile.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

Are there any other glaring mistakes that need correction?

Why is this that important?

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Every time someone makes a page reference, or refers to a rule or text from the revised edition that isn't in the original (or appears differently there).

PS: I love the FREdEx moniker. It's perfect. :D

I know, and that doesn't come up that often, that was my point in some part, but we'll have to see. I didn't go through and count instances, and of course I realize they'll be there, but it just seems like a distinction made (relatively) rarely.

EDIT/PS - and I'm interested to see how HERO Games marks the book so as to distinguish it in some way. I'll most likely really go by that when it's said and done.

Depending on the amount of material to be rewritten (as opposed to just added to the back of the book), it may be possible for Steve and Andy to adjust the layout of the book so that page references are virtually unchanged. I remember that the Champions Deluxe version of the BBB added a couple of Advantages that weren't in the original without otherwise changing what was on the following pages, by altering the layout of the affected pages.

Originally posted by Kintara

FRREd, I like that one. At least it doesn't make it too much more complicated than it already is. I would prefer to call it what it is, the HERO 5th Revised. Or HERO5, Revised. Or something that isn't confusing.

Ya need to Purrr it more when you say it...

Fr(row!)ed

Personally I think the tempiture scheme is pretty flawed. If i can, I have VPP's just in case the Gm want's to have funky rules just like this and Make them go AWAY for the party. Or make the Gm keep on making mistakes in his basic math till he stops using it.

A rule is only used as long as it is fun. when it is more troble than it is worth enjoyment wise it GOES AWAY. This is why we have new editions of games. Bad stuff goes away (hopefully) and more fun stuff goes in.

And yes there have been subsequent sections of a game system that have not corrected basic flaws in the game. RE ED.