powers from drugs/serums/Chemicals

Redmenace

I have a plotline coming up where someone is desecrating the graves of various supers. it won't be obvious at first but the reason is to analyse and distill traces of the drugs their specific powers came from.

i'd like these to be from established DC and Marvel books and becouse the users are dead, older is better, but any advice is welcome.

1.) I know of the Golden Age Hourman's-Miraclo

2.) The Elongated man's-Gingold(?)

3.) The Lizard and Mr. Hyde's -respective monster formulae

4.) The Whizzer's- Mongoose blood.

there have to be others. Thanks in advance

Pym particles were originaly in serum form, then capsule form, then gaseous form, then Dr. Pym was able to produce them from his actual body instead of taking them in from an outside source. Wasp still uses the gas, presumably, as does the new Ant-Man. Some of Hank's DNA might be what you'r elooking for, since he creates them now.

Gingold is a fruit from a rare type of tree.

Don't forget The Strangler's radioactive fruitcake, I bet you could get some of that fairly easily.

Black Panther uses a "special herb" to get his powers.

Spider-Man's radioactive blood could count. In one issue, Silverman tried to suck it out to help rejuvenate him.

For that matter, any radioactive type. Radioactive Man, appropriately enough. Swarm's radioactive bones. Wonder-Man, et al have the Ionic power bit. Just use them pre-energy body phase. In fact early on they required a serum to prevent ionic poisoning, iirc.

Nick Fury's Infinity Formula.

I don't know about in original continuity, but in the 90's Hawkworld stuff, Byth (sp?) had his shapechanging powers come from a drug, I think called "Krotan".

There was a DC Comics "jungle hero," Bwana Beast, who gained enhanced physical abilities when he drank water from a special spring. He carried a vial of the water with him to renew his powers.

IIRC there was a minor Spider-Man villain who derived powers from gasses released from a meteorite. Anyone recall his name?

If you're particularly looking for deceased heroes, the late Black Goliath/Giant-Man also used Pym particles to grow to giant size.

At least one of the pseudo Captain Americas (the one from the 1950's who was partnered with Jack Monroe/Nomad) had super-soldier abilities, but because he took the serum without the accompanying "vita rays" he eventually went insane.

Vandal Savage created several super-speedster minions to use against the Flash (Wally West) through a highly addictive drug called Velocity Nine.

(Boy, Redmenace: you make a "drug cocktail" out of all the stuff mentioned on this thread, you're gonna have one nasty villain - until his heart bursts or his brain shorts out.)

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Lord Liaden

(Boy, Redmenace: you make a "drug cocktail" out of all the stuff mentioned on this thread, you're gonna have one nasty villain - until his heart bursts or his brain shorts out.)

:eek:

Enchanced Reflexes.**

Monstrous.**

Superspeed.**

Stretchy.

Superstrong***

Size Change

So... terrifying reflexes, superspeed to the days, and a really, really strong monstrous brick.

If they get made, have them smack aside the Hulk or summat.

...IIRC there was a minor Spider-Man villain who derived powers from gasses released from a meteorite. Anyone recall his name?...

I think it was Meteor Man -- no relation to the Robert Townsend movie. He wore a green and white costume, IIRC.

Also, the Golden Age Flash - Jay Garrick - got his from "heavy water." Plastic Man got his powers from being shot, and then some kind of acid got into is bloodstream. Tom Strange (fka "Doc Strange") gets his powers from something called Alosun. The character is actually a Golden-Age-era character from a small independant publisher that went backrupt until recently when Alan Moore bought them all up and revivved the characters for Terra Obscura. Most of the characters from that world are chemically-based, though it's usually alchemy.

Chemistry was a real favorite for science-based characters of the Golden Age. It was the cutting-edge science of the time. In the 60s it became radiation, and now it's genetics. I guess next it'll be quantum-twinning.

Thanks everybody, i'm very appreciative of all the suggestions and they've really helped.

Does anyone remember how Wonder Woman's enemy the Cheetah got her powers? It may have been pre Crisis but I was thinking it was some strange African plant or somesuch.

>>WhammeWhamme

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enchanced Reflexes.**

Monstrous.**

Superspeed.**

Stretchy.

Superstrong***

Size Change

So... terrifying reflexes, superspeed to the days, and a really, really strong monstrous brick.

If they get made, have them smack aside the Hulk or summat.<<

He's starting to sound like the Super Skrull.

Man-Bat induced his transformation through chemical means.

And then there's the FF villain Diablo. He was an alchemist with a myriad of potion based powers and effects.

An odd pre-Crisis character appeared in Superman a couple times. He ate super powered seaweed, 'sancha' I think he called it, to become, umm, Captain Strong (I think was his name.) Yes, he was a sailor. Yes he was bald and squinted.

But if you want really obscure, Demon from the Justice Machine was a drug addict who claimed that the drugs gave him enhanced speed and skill, though the actual effect was never truly determined because the withdrawal symptoms were really bad.

Hmm, I wonder, does Bat-Sharkrepellent count as a drug? :D

Originally posted by Supreme

(SNIP)Also, the Golden Age Flash - Jay Garrick - got his from "heavy water." (SNIP)

This is pretty much the only origin that builds upon real science. Water composed of tritium isotopes of hydrogen really did speed up a number of chemical reactions, I don't believe experiments were ever done to see its effect on human reflexes (the radioactive decay and probable posioning are serious ethical concerns). This was infinitely more sensible than Barry Allen and the cascade of electrically charged random chemicals :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ZootSoot

This is pretty much the only origin that builds upon real science. Water composed of tritium isotopes of hydrogen really did speed up a number of chemical reactions, I don't believe experiments were ever done to see its effect on human reflexes (the radioactive decay and probable posioning are serious ethical concerns). This was infinitely more sensible than Barry Allen and the cascade of electrically charged random chemicals :rolleyes:

I remember that the origin story mentioned that it was known that heavy water could "speed" people up. I always assumed that it sped up the metabolism, but that it was too early at the time of the story for them to realize that it was killing people. Just like those old x-ray machines they used to use at shoe-stores to see how well your feet fit inside of the new shoes. Yeah, it gave you x-ray vision (usable only on feet, -3), but use it too many times and...

I also forgot a few more. Lana Lang used to get Kryptonian-esque powers from bathing in a radioactive chemical bath. Jimmy Olsen got exposed to various chemicals to turn into Elongated Lad, Red Devil, and Turtle Boy. Swamp Thing is essentially plant tissue animated by consuming the flesh of Alec Holland. While Swamp Thing is still running around, Holland's bones are relatively intact and buried in the Louisiana Bayou. Also Linda Holland, who worked on the formula with, was exhumed and it was found that she had the same chemical in her tissue. She didn't become a She-Thing for other reasons.

The Meteor gas villain was the Looter, he reappeared briefly during the Identity Crisis Spidey issues. Also, don't forget that the guy that became Man-Thing was working on a new super soldier serum and it went awry when he was lethally wounded and dumped into a swamp after being subjected to his own serum.

Re: UG!

Originally posted by Kzinbane

I can't believe I forgot this one: Popeye and Spinich! I think it works on anyone though - I can't remember for sure if Bluto ever ate it or Olive. I seem to remember a termite or ant accidently eating some at one point and causing some serious problems.

There was one where Popeye force fed Bluto spinach and made him kick Popeye's ass. It was some kind of weird sympathy play for Olive's affections. And just about everyone in the Popeye-verse has eaten it at least once; Pappy, Swee'Pea, the nephews, Wimpy...I think Olive is the only one who didn't. And she needed it the most. :)

Don't forget the blood of the android Human Torch, it has given at least one person super powers and then returned them to the age of sixteen physically from their actual age in their sixties. He's alive but maybe that could be worked in there somehow.

In the Milestone Universe, there's Static, the Blood Syndicate and all of the Survivors of the Big Bang (Who were all exposed to a chemical called Q-Juice in gaseous form). Payback (another Bang Baby like the Blood Syndicate and Static) and Blitzen (who swallowed a speed serum) of the Superteam Heroes (original name, huh) also fall under this category, as does Sideshow of the Shadow Cabinet.