City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Manchine, roll and Invuln tanker and let me know if you feel useful for the team in the post 30 game. When you hit 40, only then come tell me how you feel about the AT and whether you think it contributes anything useful to a team.

In the meantime, I am a Corrupter. :mad:

Looks over at my Real Life Friends level 42 Invuln/Axe. He is fine with it. I guess most people that complain just happen to be rude for no reason.

Of course the opposite can be said. As soon as you become a Dev and learn about the game you could really offer something useful.

Still playing on Justice these days. Mostly because I've got 3 friends from real life who play there. Anyway, weird day today...

I'm asked to join a team with my supervillainess. She's 16th level and I've *never* had her on a team, so I figure what the heck. I join and as we get our butts kicked immediately by someone I ask where the 8th team member is. One guy explains he had to go pick up pizza. I joke, "I'm dead here, I hope it was some good f'n pizza." That gets laughs from three team members, and I actually typed it just like that (No swear word). We fight for another ten minutes. Then suddenly I'm booted from the team. Never had it happen before in two years of playing CoH and now CoV, and it came mid-mission so I thought it was a technical problem. I give a tell to the guy who asked me to join. He says I was kicked because "My attitude sucks".

Mmmm...okay. Wish I could remember the names of these folks, or I'd put them on Ignore at least. A small gesture, but would have made me feel better.

So I join another team five minutes later and kick some *** for about 90 minutes.

Now I come back on later, nearing 18th level, and decide to do some missions to get me to 18th. I catch a cool storyline in which I'm being framed by two guys I rescued and the next mission asks me to "warn ghost widow". Well, Ok. I just dinged so I step a few feet over to the trainer and begin training.

After chosing my power, I come out of the screen and BOOM, I'm dead. I looke around, and there's nothing. I have to scroll up quite a ways to discover that an ambush happened during the training and as a result it never played any combat noise, and there was no chat showing (because the chat window is hidden in training). Aint that a pisser. 950 debt because the game gave me no warning that I was being attacked. I know I'll get rid of it fast if I joine a team, but that's not the point. What a buzzkill.

So I'm a little ticked with CoV right now.

James, status protection comes from Unyielding at level 8. Unyielding is a 5% base resistance to Smashing and Lethal damage, 10% resistance to Toxic/Energy/Elemental, and all of our status protection. It also provides a -5% Defense debuff, making us easier to hit. With Invincibility at 18, we need 3 foes in melee range to counter that defense debuff.

Manchine, I apologize if I come off rude. I like you pilgrim. I get very easily riled when my favorite character loses her role. When someone who has not personally experienced this situation comments that they are happy with it, I will react. I apologize, I am not personally out to get you, I just really have a beef with people speaking without personal experience. It's a personality flaw of mine.

Now I come back on later, nearing 18th level, and decide to do some missions to get me to 18th. I catch a cool storyline in which I'm being framed by two guys I rescued and the next mission asks me to "warn ghost widow". Well, Ok. I just dinged so I step a few feet over to the trainer and begin training.

After chosing my power, I come out of the screen and BOOM, I'm dead. I looke around, and there's nothing. I have to scroll up quite a ways to discover that an ambush happened during the training and as a result it never played any combat noise, and there was no chat showing (because the chat window is hidden in training). Aint that a pisser. 950 debt because the game gave me no warning that I was being attacked. I know I'll get rid of it fast if I joine a team, but that's not the point. What a buzzkill.

So I'm a little ticked with CoV right now.

I have had that happen before in CoH. It sucks big time. Its also happened to me where I am fighting in the zone after I have accepted a mission. 20 minutes later I get ambushed. Just took them that long to get to me. The bad part is I was on a team at the time. LOL

James' date=' status protection comes from Unyielding at level 8. Unyielding is a 5% base resistance to Smashing and Lethal damage, 10% resistance to Toxic/Energy/Elemental, and all of our status protection. It also provides a -5% Defense debuff, making us easier to hit. With Invincibility at 18, we need 3 foes in melee range to counter that defense debuff.[/quote']

Yeah. Like I said, I use it for the "status protection", not for the percentage boosts (which are nerfed and which I couldn't see before I6 anyway). And Unyielding sucks so much end it isn't worth it before you get Stamina anyway....

JG

Its all cool.

I remember you telling me about about I5 having problems with your character. With the changes. Well I6 did that to me big time. With the ED. Manchine is all about having the big bubble protecting him and doing damage. I can't do that as easy any more. I can still fight one orange Boss Tank but orange is about as high as I can get. I6 changed Manchine Majorly. The thing is all the archtypes are easily still playable, solo or group. Its just not as powerful as they once were. Which I am actually glad. I still think there will be more balancing but I think we are finally done with the big changes.

PS The only thing my friend is upset about is the number of times he has had to respec his character. At 42 he still has one Respec left.

Thank you for understanding dear. Funny, so far each and every time I have flared up has been when my tanker was hit. Proof I should just retire her?

I found a use for those extra slots (limited slotting options on primaries that only accept one or two types), behold 6 slot TP Foe! Yes, seriously, I had no other place worth placing those slots. :lol:

2 range, 2 interrupts, 1 recharge, and 1 end reduction. TP Foe early and often.

Now that Kara has Jab set to auto, perhaps I should actually slot the early powers that I mostly ignore, to conserve Endurance while using Gauntlet...

PVP is where Kara falls down. Drop a DoT on her, and she can't use TP Foe. Drop her toggles and she is mezed. Gauntlet is disabled in PVP. I don't exactly like PVP, but I want to be able to survive when someone tries to gank me, and give them a good whooping for trying. My Warburg experience where I had to flee an attempted ganking from a Fire/Rad controller really left a bad taste in my mouth. Still, she didn't get my missile codes, and I still got my missile launched.

If I ever play Kara again, and I team with anyone on Champion, she has a Biological missile in orbit to buff the team with. +Regen goodness. She also has a pet Shivan, and 1 or 2 Warwolves on call.

She can still PVE, but she now avoids AV missions as she can't solo those, and can't contribute for more than 2.5 minutes before needing to flee and rest. Unstoppable has a 3 minute limit, and its crash leaves her with 200 HP and no endurance. Going from 1700 to 200 with no protection is bad.

You mean the Hero System SG? In CoH I was the one who came up with the 'Vitruvian' symbol to represent the HERO System logo and then Gary Ciaramella founded the group. Is it based on that?

Yep yep yep. It's pretty much the same, only with a more thematic name for the "source material."

I figure, with FRED also called "the big black book," it would suit a villan team better than "HERO" or some such cheery name.

Feel free to drop a mail at BrotherDragon or @7ofSpades if you want in.

Yep yep yep. It's pretty much the same, only with a more thematic name for the "source material."

I figure, with FRED also called "the big black book," it would suit a villan team better than "HERO" or some such cheery name.

Feel free to drop a mail at BrotherDragon or @7ofSpades if you want in.

Cool.

:thumbup:

...what server again?

My weekend in CoV, by Blue

Was playing in a team with a real life friend. We found a room that was pitch black (and I don't mean in the "map view"). I mean, the hallway just ends in a pitch-black spot. So having seen such things in early CoH, we go into the darkness, knowing that there will likley only be a few "virtual feet" of darkness then we'll see things. NOPE. Instead we both fall off the edge of the world and take massive damage (but live). To get out, I had to log out, log back in, rejoin the team, and teleport my friend back to the top of the map, out of the hole. It was a big black hole that was obviously where they failed to complete the map (in other words, it was not intentional). So we laugh it off.

Then later, I got booted from a team (A first!) for having a bad attitude. Still haven't figured this one out.

Got killed while in the training screen because it makes no effort to tell you that you are under attack while you are training.

Took a day off (because I was monkeying with my computer) and finally got in late in the evening.

Ran a mission that was pretty difficulty and where I could have easily ticked off the Arch-Villain, but managed to complete it without that happening. So I'm feeling good about CoV again. Good enough to run another mission.

Well, there's my mistake. Next mission won't finish! I searched the entire base, helped the person get to safety. But the final step is to defeat the boss. Well, I look for 30 minutes and cannot find the boss anywhere! So I pettition the GMs and wait 40 minutes while I watch a (boring) epsiode of the West Wing, and finally log off with no GM contact.

Let's just say that if this were my first week playing, not having experienced years of nearly problem free CoH playing, I'd have cancelled my account.

My weekend in CoV' date=' by Blue[/b']

Was playing in a team with a real life friend. We found a room that was pitch black (and I don't mean in the "map view"). I mean, the hallway just ends in a pitch-black spot. So having seen such things in early CoH, we go into the darkness, knowing that there will likley only be a few "virtual feet" of darkness then we'll see things. NOPE. Instead we both fall off the edge of the world and take massive damage (but live). To get out, I had to log out, log back in, rejoin the team, and teleport my friend back to the top of the map, out of the hole. It was a big black hole that was obviously where they failed to complete the map (in other words, it was not intentional). So we laugh it off.

Then later, I got booted from a team (A first!) for having a bad attitude. Still haven't figured this one out.

Got killed while in the training screen because it makes no effort to tell you that you are under attack while you are training.

Took a day off (because I was monkeying with my computer) and finally got in late in the evening.

Ran a mission that was pretty difficulty and where I could have easily ticked off the Arch-Villain, but managed to complete it without that happening. So I'm feeling good about CoV again. Good enough to run another mission.

Well, there's my mistake. Next mission won't finish! I searched the entire base, helped the person get to safety. But the final step is to defeat the boss. Well, I look for 30 minutes and cannot find the boss anywhere! So I pettition the GMs and wait 40 minutes while I watch a (boring) epsiode of the West Wing, and finally log off with no GM contact.

Let's just say that if this were my first week playing, not having experienced years of nearly problem free CoH playing, I'd have cancelled my account.

Wow I was in the first wave of Beta. The worst things I have ever seen is a Flashy behind a wall. Took me about 15 minutes to figure out where it was at and to kliq it was another story. I was able to FINALLY kliq it. This has only happened to me once in Beta.

The second thing I have had a problem with is knocking people through doors and ladders. Its kinda annoying to have to fight an extra guy thats behind a door when you open it.

Other then that I have yet to experience any problems.

I had quite a few problems in CoH, but spread out over a couple years it seems like nothing. AND their customer service typically was on it within a reasonable amount of time.

Some of the CoH ones I got included mobs behind walls; Some could be baited out of there by merely standing there and enticing it, but things like Zombies cant be baited out, since they're mindless until you interract with them, and you can't reach them to interract. I had a couple of glowies that were off the map. And a number of server crashes at highly inconvenient moments (fighting Arch-villains). But as I said, considering the # of hourse I've played, it doesn't feel like much.

So by comparison, this weekend seemed far worse. Add to this the thing I didn't mention: Often on Arachno "Lab" missions there are spots of the map that remain black. It's usually a whole room, and it doesn't keep you from going in to the room itself, since it's only the overhead map; And I've had a few where the map for a whole floor wouldn't load ("Map Unavailable") and no matter how many things you tried it wouldn't load the map, so you have to be careful to catch everything because you can't tell if you've visited the whole floor.

It's the kind of stuff that they'll fix in time for the next "issue" to cause a few more things to go kerflooey. I still like the game; I'd just like a little less frustration from mechanical difficulties.

From what I can tell, there's that "ED" (Enhancement Diversification or Erectile Dysfunction, depending on your point of view)- also a "Gladiator" function where you get certain "pets" to help you in the Arena if you beat up a certain number of Skulls, Council, etc. Not having played Arena, I'm not sure how this works.

JG

For the CoH only side, I6 brought the following:

ED (see above post for what it stands for), a means of forcing us to slot at least 2 types of enhancements per power by crippling the effect of 6 slotting something. No more perma-Hasten, no more 4-6 slot damage, no more 6 slot Stamina, no more 6 slot Health, no more 6 slot Regen or Invuln powers that have limited slotting options, and no reward for diversifying. Up to 2 of the same SOs, no loss. 3rd has a slight loss. 4-6th, huge loss.

Where 6 slotting gave a 200% bonus when using same enhancement type in one power, and 3 slotting gave 100%, you now get 95% with 3 slots, and 110% with 6. 2 slots still gives a 66% improvement.

I6 also gave 3 PVP zones for heroes (2 of which allow other "heroes" to gank you). Siren's Call is where you fight in hotspots for advantages, and collect bounties on the other side's members. Bloody Bay is where you collect meteor fragments to refine and get a temp pet, yet radiation allows hero teams to gank other heroes, and villain teams to gank other villains in order to steal meteor fragments. Warburg is where you try to gain control of a nuclear, biological, or chemical warhead missile, and the entire zone is free for all. My tanker almost died to a controller who stopped me from leading an Arachnos scientist to safety in return for a code. Had she killed me, she would have taken on of my codes.

Tankers can easily be mezed now, and in PVP tankers lose their inherent and can have controller easily drop the toggles that comprise their primaries. In light of that and Kara's resistance loss due to ED, she is now on the shelf. :mad:

I6 also brought to you Supergroup mode to earn prestige and salvage for supergroups and bases. However, to visit your base or create one, you must buy CoV.

Lastly, CoV brought in Gladiator badges to allow you to earn like Pokemon to get pet teams to use in the arena. You get a set value to spend on your team, each pet has a cost, and up to 3 pet types can comprise your team. If you have already earned a villain badge, you will automagically get a gladiator badge if one exists for those foes.

Nothing important, just a chance to get a temp pet and power at the risk of being ganked, a new arena pet fighting option, and the power to own a base and/or contribute to your group.

Oh, with SG Mode, at level 34 and above you will no longer earn Influence/Infamy while in SG Mode. You will not want to use SG Mode if saving for SOs or costumes. Just a little FYI.

While playing COV this morning, the flavor text as I entered a door mission.

"The long walk to get here made you angry.

People don't like you when you're angry.

People don't especially like you when you are happy either."

So I go back in last night, to get rid of a mission that wouldn't end the night before.

I fight halfway through it, get the "pet" that assists me, and then in the middle of a big combat, they down the server.

So I wait 30 minutes. CoH server status says it's up. I log back in, and FINALLY complete the mission; This time the boss shows up.

I go to do another mission. I clear the whole place, but to finish the mission, you have to plant 5 bombs. The spots where you put them are NOT especialy easy to find. In fact, I didn't find ANY until the final room, where I spotted 3 of the five spots. I the proceeded to run through the base no less than 7 times, looking for the 1 final place to plant the bomb. They REALLY made these hard to spot for some unknown reason. Unable to find the last one, I'm deciding what to do when... THey down the server again!

So I decided not to do the same mission. Instead I joined up with a pickup group and kicked some booty for a while.

But CoV is just NOT going as well as CoH did, thanks to technical difficulties.

So I go back in last night, to get rid of a mission that wouldn't end the night before.

I fight halfway through it, get the "pet" that assists me, and then in the middle of a big combat, they down the server.

So I wait 30 minutes. CoH server status says it's up. I log back in, and FINALLY complete the mission; This time the boss shows up.

I go to do another mission. I clear the whole place, but to finish the mission, you have to plant 5 bombs. The spots where you put them are NOT especialy easy to find. In fact, I didn't find ANY until the final room, where I spotted 3 of the five spots. I the proceeded to run through the base no less than 7 times, looking for the 1 final place to plant the bomb. They REALLY made these hard to spot for some unknown reason. Unable to find the last one, I'm deciding what to do when... THey down the server again!

So I decided not to do the same mission. Instead I joined up with a pickup group and kicked some booty for a while.

But CoV is just NOT going as well as CoH did, thanks to technical difficulties.

I haven't seen lag this bad since CoH first got going. So of course there will be server problems.

Connectivity issues where one person gets bounced? Yeh, I can understand that. Server is downed twice in an hour span? Not so understanding of that. I couldn't connect, reconnect, and the CoH website listed the server as down (and all the others as UP).

It's entirely possible this wasn't intentional; that it was an actual mechanical difficulty. Still not good, but right on point with what I'm saying. And if it was intentional, I'd like a little warning.