City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Blue, our base accuracy is 75% in PVE, and falls to 50% in PVP. Your ACC and To-Hit enhancements modify that base %, so your accuracy drops significantly in PVP. That is why your attack seems so hit and miss.

A friend of mine tells me that making himself and his zombies invisible is giving him a huge edge in PVP as a MM. That intrigues me quite a bit, but I am not willing to give up anything in my build to add stealth and group invisibility.

I'm demo-ing CoH right now, pending purchase. I've got one character on Champion (Navigator, 7th level Tanker) and my handle is @thenavigator.

I had originally wanted a high-defense ranged attack character, but that seems not to be an option (at least not starting out). So I settled for high-defense.

I just found out the hard way that helping a stranger in a fight is a major breach of etiquette. I guess XP is the issue, but it just seems so un-heroic to stand by watching someone else get beat on.

I'm demo-ing CoH right now, pending purchase. I've got one character on Champion (Navigator, 7th level Tanker) and my handle is @thenavigator.

I had originally wanted a high-defense ranged attack character, but that seems not to be an option (at least not starting out). So I settled for high-defense.

I just found out the hard way that helping a stranger in a fight is a major breach of etiquette. I guess XP is the issue, but it just seems so un-heroic to stand by watching someone else get beat on.

Attacking their target is kill stealing. And a no-no.

hitting the hero with a heal or a buff, will earn you a thanks. (and the heals add up so you earn a badge)

And I've notice a lot more kill stealing in CoV than I did in CoH.

Blue, our base accuracy is 75% in PVE, and falls to 50% in PVP. Your ACC and To-Hit enhancements modify that base %, so your accuracy drops significantly in PVP. That is why your attack seems so hit and miss.

A friend of mine tells me that making himself and his zombies invisible is giving him a huge edge in PVP as a MM. That intrigues me quite a bit, but I am not willing to give up anything in my build to add stealth and group invisibility.

Been more like miss and miss. ;)

I'm just beginning to explore the MasterMind types myself. I'm not constructing with PVP in mind at all, but with soloing. So far that's made some of the pool powers that everyone can get after 6th level pretty useful as I keep my army alive and protected from mental attacks and such.

He'll probably never go into PVP because he's too creature-centered. If his creatures go down, he's offenseless.

Some of my characters on Champion:

Mors Ninjarum, katana/super-reflexes scrapper

Archon, broadsword/regen scrapper

W3000 Sux Man, energy/devices blaster and

Windows 3000 Sux Man, newb energy/traps corrupter (about level 3)

R. Matey, pirate robot ninja mastermind

The Supa Skul, dark melee/invulnerability brute

Blue' date=' our base accuracy is 75% in PVE, and falls to 50% in PVP. Your ACC and To-Hit enhancements modify that base %, so your accuracy drops significantly in PVP. That is why your attack seems so hit and miss.[/quote']

I heard they were changing that because it wasn't fair to players that depend on accuracy and defense buffs, but maybe I'm remebering wrong.

Yeah, I think this is one of the major "broken" features, from the perspective I would have of such a game, though I understand why it is - ultimately it's still a video game, not an RPG. Though it's an encouraging game and I keep an eye out for the evolution of these things (hence my continued subscription to the thread).

Attacking their target is kill stealing. And a no-no.

hitting the hero with a heal or a buff, will earn you a thanks. (and the heals add up so you earn a badge)

And I've notice a lot more kill stealing in CoV than I did in CoH.

That seems "okay", so to speak, given it IS villainous play! Though I realize that from the true player perspective it would suck as indicated above, as a points issue. But you'd think, or I would anyway, that even as players one could reasonably walk around "honorless", kill-stealing, getting their larger group in trouble just to knock them down a peg as you run away, etc.. I'd think that'd be the charm of playing villains - not to take it at all seriously and screw the other villains, even your teammates.

Yeah' date=' I think this is one of the major "broken" features, from the perspective I would have of such a game, though I understand why it is - ultimately it's still a video game, not an RPG. Though it's an encouraging game and I keep an eye out for the evolution of these things (hence my continued subscription to the thread).[/quote']

The other broken feature is that the costume designer still doesn't let you play a floating box of fries with a goatee.

JG

The other broken feature is that the costume designer still doesn't let you play a floating box of fries with a goatee.

You wish.

But if that happened... I'll be right with you as an amorphic ball of ground chuck. Fear my Samurai Lincon impression! :D

Stalker observations to date in PVP...

Danger Sense is AWESOME. The fact that you can see someone who thinks they're invisible is great, and VERY champions like. You can stalk someone untl they're totally vulnerable then nail them.

AOE Is the best way to find stalkers. A hero targets an area and the damage expsoses the hidden stalker.

Stalkers are good when hereos have the numerical advantage. Otherwise the heroes often hit and retreat and the stalker doesn't have time to deliver the ol' backstab.

If I follow my friend, a MasterMind, around, he gets followed by heroes, then when they engage him, I wait and deliver a nasty sneak attack. Unfortunately, I miss probably over half the time with that mauever in PVP. I don't know why. Might be the other people's level of defense.

As a hero, the most annoying villain build I have seen is a Stalker with Teleport Foe. This has been done to my electric/electric flying blaster more than once: TP Foe/Sneak Attack/other attack. Since it happend during one of my attacks with a long-ish animation, I was defeated before I had any chance to respond.

I just found out the hard way that helping a stranger in a fight is a major breach of etiquette. I guess XP is the issue' date=' but it just seems so un-heroic to stand by watching someone else get beat on.[/quote']

On the villain side, if you want to help someone by healing them, buffing them, or debuffing their foes without costing them XP, you have 3 ATs that can do this. Corrupters can buff, debuff, and heal (while keeping ranged damage). Dominators can hold the foe (be sure to use a hold that does NOT deal damage over time). Masterminds (especially dark miasma MMs) can heal, debuff, and buff. All 3 ATs can also solo much better than a Controller or Defenders (the only ATs in CoH that can heal, buff, and debuff foes without dealing damage). An Ice Blaster also has a hold that does not do DoT.

On my Masterminds and Dark Corrupter (Dark Miasma secondary), I often swoop down to a villain in a battle, target them, and click Twilight Grasp to heal them while debuffing their foe's accuracy. I can also cast Darkest Night to debuff the foes' accuracy and damage, and Tar Patch to slow foes and debuff their resistance. On the CoH side, only the Dark Defender has access to Dark Miasma, and Defenders do not solo well. A Radiation Emission Corrupter/Defender/Controller is also always welcome for their heal, debuffs, and buffs as well. Radiation Emission is a very good and useful powerset.

Eventually villains and heroes will be able to switch factions. For the play style you want, you might wish to consider rolling up a CoV villain and cross factions at some date. While Corrupters, Masterminds, and Dominators do not have high defense, they do have ranged attacks AND the ability to mitigate foe damage through hold/buff/debuff.

In fact, Mastermind is actually what would suit your play style best. By using pets to deal damage and attract aggro, you can focus on supporting them. Since the pets are taking the damage, you effectively have high defense. Since the pets are dealing damage at both ranged and melee, you have ranged attacks. Since you can take a secondary that can buff, debuff, and/or heal, you can also help out others without affecting their XP. MMs are considered the tankers of CoV, and while physically weak, MMs are very very good at absorbing alpha strikes and taking initial aggro with pets.

For the CoH side, I consider tanker a dead AT, and my beloved Invuln/SS tanker Kara Lokison is on the shelf now. Tankers no longer have a real role, and do not contribute as much to a team as any other AT. If you play a defender (which on hero side would fit your idea best with a supporting primary and ranged secondary), you will be expected to heal and team, but can mitigate damage and have ranged attacks. Scrappers and Tankers lack ranged attacks for the most part, while blasters lack defense (save for Ice blasters who can use holds and slows to protect themselves).

Hey there herodom...

I recently got CoH, and just want to let everybody that might give a dang know that you can find me @Wraythe on Victory server. I usually play as Lightning-Bug. I'm having a hard time getting my ftf players and friends to get into CoH, so I figgered I'd "holla" out to the HERO community. Look me up when you're on and let's bash some baddie skulls.

Hey all CoH and CoV players on what part of the city map do the two games converge where you can take on villians and/or heros in PvsP mode.... just wondering for a little added fun for my group and a little different twist than beating up on the games normal baddies

So do people generally get a lot of flak if they don't play their archetype 'properly'?

As in, a Defender who plays like a Tanker/Blaster, or a Tanker that plays like a tough Scrapper.

See, I like the powersets for those two archetypes, but the traditional roles seem kind of dull. Am I just better off going solo or are there many teams that accept that kind of wandering off the beaten path?

So do people generally get a lot of flak if they don't play their archetype 'properly'?

As in, a Defender who plays like a Tanker/Blaster, or a Tanker that plays like a tough Scrapper.

See, I like the powersets for those two archetypes, but the traditional roles seem kind of dull. Am I just better off going solo or are there many teams that accept that kind of wandering off the beaten path?

You might find some random teams or players who get upset if you don't play the way "they" expect you to, but if you say "Lvl X power/power defender LFT. I fight like a blaster" then they have no reason to think that you will do the "traditional" defender heal/buff thing.

If you are going very far from the normal play of the ATs, just let people know when you team with them. Most players probably won't have a problem with it.

Tinman, actually, some of us get upset with others who want us to play "their way" and remind them we pay for our accounts to play "our way". Case in point, when someone asks "R U H3al3r?" I get very annoyed at the lack of proper spelling and ask them why they think they need a healer. Turns out, they don't use tactics.

I mostly solo, tactics are my bread and butter. I am not about to try and keep people who don't use strategy alive and see a team wipe. All of my toons use the /hide command and solo. I loathe people thinking I should support them, random invites, and people pestering me after I decline their invites. I tend to ask why they don't play healers, if healers are so important, and remind them that they aren't the only ones who like to deal damage and earn glory.

In CoV, I pointedly told people there are no "healers" as the healing powers are reduced in effectiveness and every AT can deal damage. Turned out, those people didn't want to listen and insisted I am a healer because I have either Radiation Aura or Twilight Grasp. As Radiation Aura is a fairly weak heal (great overall as the foes' damage is greatly reduced by Rad debuffs), I don't see that as a healing power to rely on. With Twilight Grasp, I have to score a hit on a foe to heal people around me. If I miss, I just waste endurance and have to wait for the power to recharge. If I hit, people had best be very close to me as the heal radius and amount are reduced in CoV.

When I feel like teaming, I let them know I can heal in a pinch, but am playing offensively. Most are cool with that, as a strong offense can mitigate a need for healing. Just beware that some come from other MMOGs and don't understand that CoH/CoV has many ways to do something, and no "right" way to play.

Another point in contention--the MM Poisons secondary also has "Alkaloid", which isn't a great heal, but it's not too shabby--but its main use is on the minions.

Personally, I think CoV caters more towards the solo playstyle--if you wanna group, great. I'll just send my shadow warriors over there... :)