City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

The guy i play with regularly (my buddy Joe), for a great roleplayer in our RPG group, and a devious mind, he seems to have no sense of precaution in-game. He seems to treat everything like he's invisible and nothing will notice him. Not good for a Mastermind with 4 pets in tow.

So while it irritates me sometimes that he's turned the group of 5 badguys into 10 or 15 because of a lack of subtelety, it's also part of the fun, and I don't expect him to change. No point in getting mad at him.

Don't think I've ever had anyone get mad at me about how I played my character. At least they didn't say so.

Attacking their target is kill stealing. And a no-no.

hitting the hero with a heal or a buff, will earn you a thanks. (and the heals add up so you earn a badge)

And I've notice a lot more kill stealing in CoV than I did in CoH.

Eh, we're villians.

Though the kill steal portion isn't nearly the problem it used to be since you still get XP for your percentage and if you've already done enough, you'll get the kill for a hunt mission.

Hey there herodom...

I recently got CoH, and just want to let everybody that might give a dang know that you can find me @Wraythe on Victory server. I usually play as Lightning-Bug. I'm having a hard time getting my ftf players and friends to get into CoH, so I figgered I'd "holla" out to the HERO community. Look me up when you're on and let's bash some baddie skulls.

Heck, I don't know if I have a character on Victory.

BTW, Lightning Bug was one of Sam Bell's most played heroes. So good name.

The guy i play with regularly (my buddy Joe), for a great roleplayer in our RPG group, and a devious mind, he seems to have no sense of precaution in-game. He seems to treat everything like he's invisible and nothing will notice him. Not good for a Mastermind with 4 pets in tow.

So while it irritates me sometimes that he's turned the group of 5 badguys into 10 or 15 because of a lack of subtelety, it's also part of the fun, and I don't expect him to change. No point in getting mad at him.

Don't think I've ever had anyone get mad at me about how I played my character. At least they didn't say so.

Yea, we have what we call "pet pulls". Some pet runs off and brings back friends.

And you seem to play your characters well. No complaints from me.

edit: Of course this is from someone who was thinking of binding a key to "Bored now." with launching a fireball.

Yea, we have what we call "pet pulls". Some pet runs off and brings back friends.

And you seem to play your characters well. No complaints from me.

edit: Of course this is from someone who was thinking of binding a key to "Bored now." with launching a fireball.

Thanks.

He's a little worse than "pet pulls". I run up to where I can see an enemy. I'm always there first and I'm hidden. So I step back out of range so that he'll stop at me. Instead, he'll run right past my and up to the enemy then back up like he shouldn't have done that. It really is kind of funny, especially if we live.

I think he got tired of it because he's got teleport foe now. But he still runs too close to select an enemy. Not sure why that is. Maybe he's trying to click everyone, rather than using TAB or something.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Is it just me, or is the CoV respec trial impossible to win? You can't kill the final Arch-Villain unless you first kill all the vines, but you can't kill all the vines because they regrow faster than you can kill them.

In CoV or CoH?

You have to be 10th in either, I believe.

In CoH, you go to city hall in Atlas, to the registrar (behind the desk inside the entrance).

In CoV, there's a building that's hard to give directions to (Especially from memory). Here's how I go there: When you are in Port Oakes, at the Quartermaster, face to face with him, you go right until you come across the inclined road (It should slope down to your left). Follow it all the way to the bottom where it ends at some stairs up. There's usually some "family" on the stairs. At the top of the stairs is a building; Inside is the registrar. Same one does super-bases.

In CoV or CoH?

In CoH, you go to city hall in Atlas, to the registrar (behind the desk inside the entrance).

In CoV, there's a building that's hard to give directions to (Especially from memory). Here's how I go there: When you are in Port Oakes, at the Quartermaster, face to face with him, you go right until you come across the inclined road (It should slope down to your left). Follow it all the way to the bottom where it ends at some stairs up. There's usually some "family" on the stairs. At the top of the stairs is a building; Inside is the registrar. Same one does super-bases.

Cool, thanks! I'm only playing CoH for now, the villain thing doesn't really appeal to me but I will probably pick it up in a few months for diversity.

I'm more interested in playing in the genre than efficient combat or such, so I'm leveling slowly and not following any optimised builds. Founding a super group is definately something my character would do though, if only to find kindred souls who understand the life and are willing to share the burden :)

So, about tankers.

I've just started playing the game, and so I have no experience of what they were like prior to the latest revisions. I find that my tanker is significantly less than nigh-invulnerable, though I tend to have no problems soloing and have only been to the hospital twice up to level 6 (and both times because of the Hollows).

To be fair, I haven't planned my build along the lines of being as tough as I could have, so I don't know if the feeling of 'tough but far from invulnerable' is something everyone experiences to the same extent.

If I were to be granted my druthers I'd like to see a new tertiary power set based on ranged attacks made available to all classes. Make them half-powered or less compared to Blasters, and with very limited diversity. This would give tankers (and scrappers) a tactical option that they are currently denied and a greater flexibility in the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Invulnerable tankers used to get better at level 8 when Unyielding came up. Status protection helped, and back in I4 the resistance was noticable.

True greatness appeared at 18 with Invincibility, which allows us to dodge.

We sucked until 8, and got really good at 18, but we got by with higher resistances back then at those early levels than we get now at the higher levels.

Now, the name Invulnerable feels like a bad and sick joke. 28% resistance isn't even close to Invulnerable. You're just a bag of HP with an inherent taunt that doesn't work in PVP, and toggles that are easily dropped in PVP.

Kimmie, no longer playing her tanker, which used to be my favorite toon prior to I5 and I6 gutting her.

Invulnerable tankers used to get better at level 8 when Unyielding came up. Status protection helped, and back in I4 the resistance was noticable.

True greatness appeared at 18 with Invincibility, which allows us to dodge.

We sucked until 8, and got really good at 18, but we got by with higher resistances back then at those early levels than we get now at the higher levels.

Now, the name Invulnerable feels like a bad and sick joke. 28% resistance isn't even close to Invulnerable. You're just a bag of HP with an inherent taunt that doesn't work in PVP, and toggles that are easily dropped in PVP.

Kimmie, no longer playing her tanker, which used to be my favorite toon prior to I5 and I6 gutting her.

So what's your new favourite archetype?

I played Tankers only sparingly before I5. After that came out, I created Sleepwalker and leveled fairly quickly up to about 29th or so. I like the character and power set, but feel it's actually too similar to my now level 50 invulnerable scrapper. I'd have been happier if the two power sets were more divergent.

That's the thing about CoV: There's very clear delineation between Stalkers and Brutes. CoH gets kind of mushy between scrappers and tankers.

I'd still play the toon, alas there's only so many hours in the day. I feel bad for the team she joined up just a week before CoV came out. They've probably leveled way past her now.

I think the thing that draws me to playing a tanker is that it just feels like the generalist of the archetypes. Scrappers could be argued into that role as well, but my style of play makes defense more valuable than offense.

Plus, that second power in the Invulnerability set makes my character look like Miracleman :D

In CoV or CoH?

I thought you meant the QM on the tower. so I went there. My Brute survived the jump from the roof. :D

BTW, do you mean the QM closest to the Arena?

Heh. Yeh, the one near hte arena. In fact, I didn't even remember there was more than one in Port Oakes, because I never use the other one.

Start off facing away from the arena toward the quartermaster. To your right is the road that has one of the contacts on it (Brian Heck? Something like that.) Running parallel to that but right next to that road is the one that slopes downward (It heads away from the arena). That's the road you take to the end and go up the stairs.

I think the thing that draws me to playing a tanker is that it just feels like the generalist of the archetypes. Scrappers could be argued into that role as well, but my style of play makes defense more valuable than offense.

Plus, that second power in the Invulnerability set makes my character look like Miracleman :D

Oh, yeah, sparkly forcefield. I noticed that too.

JG

Tinman, with I5 and I6 gutting resistance and defense, Invuln tankers have come to rely on their secondary set attacks more and more, making them effectively gimped scrappers with much lower damage and marginally higher protection. The line is too blurred. The reason many former big tanker names have quit playing our tankers is because of what Statesman said the new tanker role is.

When asked what the tanker brings to the table, Statesman said more HPs with some higher protection. The I6 tanker role is to temporarily take the brunt of the party aggro by taunting and tanking only the foes who your tanker AT primary can resist that attacks of best. That should leave only 3 or less minions per party member, and the rest of the party needs to quickly kill off their 3 foes each and then hurry up and save the tanker. That's the role, unheroically tank foes by the damage type they deal and hope your teammates can save you from the aggro in time.

Meanwhile, you try to rely on your own attacks to stay alive by dealing damage.

Replace the tanker with a blaster, and the party has additional damage to mow through foes much more readily. Replace with scrappers (especially katana/* or broadsword/*) and you have a high damage dealer that can also tank effectively. Replace with a controller and you have more holds, containment, and defender powersets, and possible pet. Replace with a Defender and you have additional debuffs, buffs, possible healing, and more ranged damage. Tankers are weaker than the other ATs now, and we find that unacceptable.

Tankers bring much less to a party than any other AT. Further, in PVP, tankers are the only AT to lose their inherent and suffer the most from toggle dropping (most primary power protections are toggles for tankers, making tankers the only AT whose primary power set can be mostly negated by toggle dropping). Not fun.

For CoH, I'd recommend you make a */Invuln scrapper. Damage is king, and the Katana and Broadsword sets offer additional defense through parry. Dark Melee offers some controller utitilities, Spines offers AOE ability with minor toxic, and claws are being looked at. Scrappers get their protections a bit slower than tankers, but Invuln is one of their choices. Scrapper protections are now only marginally lower than tankers (the difference is damage taken is slightly more and a bit lower HPs), but much higher attack damage with critical hits)

In CoV, I now play Masterminds and Corrupters (Brute is distant third). Masterminds are seen as CoV's effective tankers, as our pets can take alpha strikes and garner initial aggro. MMs can also buff/debuff/heal to help a party and their pets much more. MMs are physically weak compared to tankers/brutes/scrappers/blasters, but as the pets are taking the hits instead, you are effectively very well protected.

Corrupters are everything my Offensive Defenders were meant to be. :D Debuff, buff, heal with a lot more damage! :D Scourge is a very useful inherent!

Brutes are what many feel tankers should have been. Scrapper level protection, tanker level protection caps, slightly lower damage at rest than tankers, and the ability to buff damage dealt by taking hits and attacking. Not counting scrapper crits which are random, Brutes can self buff their own damage to higher levels than scrappers by raising their fury, and have a very fast and fun playstyle. Scrappers are much more easily buffed to their max damage cap, but Brutes can reach the same damage amount (with a lot more buffing). The advantage for brutes is that instead of relying on crits that are random, you can control your own fury level for damage buff by rushing foes.

I play MMs, Corrupters, and some Brutes now. For CoH, my tanker is collecting dust and is relegated to bankrolling my other heroes while awaiting some powerset improvements or an AT respec. I might revist my scrapper, but I find CoV to be a huge improvement over CoH for solo ATs and partying options. MM for the win. Pets, heals, buffs, and debuffs equal a very fun playing experience with the ability to play defender and tanker at the same time. :D

So do people generally get a lot of flak if they don't play their archetype 'properly'?

As in, a Defender who plays like a Tanker/Blaster, or a Tanker that plays like a tough Scrapper.

See, I like the powersets for those two archetypes, but the traditional roles seem kind of dull. Am I just better off going solo or are there many teams that accept that kind of wandering off the beaten path?

Oh yeah, I can't tell you how many a fellow hero has commented negatively on my rushinanddie Tanker tactics. :rolleyes:

They just don't know. :D