Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I was having a conversation with Jenn about how all cities and counties needed to rename themselves if they were not unique.

Too many Washington counties for instance.

Though Jenn wanted cities that incorporated state names into their name changed as well if they weren't in the state. Viginia City, Nevada City, Colorodo City, etc...

My wife and I were going to Vancouver BC for a week just to get away. We kept being asked, Vancouver Wa? :ugly:

There's nothing horrible there, but then there's nothing great there either IMO.

Who the heck asked that!? (Hmm, hope I didn't! :doi: )

Hey, nice to see this post:

Life is good.

Growing up in Maine' date=' it always distrubed me hearing news about Portland on the World News. They never mention Oregon, just "Portland". Portland is also an extremely large city in Maine.[/quote']

"extremely large"????? :rofl:

Oh, come now, Joshua, it's fine to be proud of Maine and all but...I mean maybe Portland, ME is bigger than Manchester but still!

(PS - you know I have to give you crap because I'm from NH, right?)

I was having a conversation with Jenn about how all cities and counties needed to rename themselves if they were not unique.

Too many Washington counties for instance.

Though Jenn wanted cities that incorporated state names into their name changed as well if they weren't in the state. Viginia City, Nevada City, Colorodo City, etc...

We had a database of American cities at work. The two most popular city names, i.e., reoccurring the most among the states? One most people get, the other most people don't.... white space so you can think about it...

Okay, the easy one is Washington...the hard one, but it makes a lot of sense...

...do you want a hint?

think of the Revolution and the founders....

Franklin

Portland Or, was named after Portland, Maine. On a coin flip, it would of been either Boston or Portland. (Or that's how the story goes.)

IIRC, Portland Maine is quite a bit smaller. The metro area of Portland Or is over a million now.

From MS Encarta (just the first thing I found) - http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761561539/Portland_(Oregon).html - "In 2003, Portland's population was estimated at 538,544. The population of the Portland metropolitan area also grew, from 1,334,000 in 1980 to 2,040,000 in 2003."

From http://www.ci.portland.me.us/, "With a metro population of 230,000, the Greater Portland area is home to almost one quarter of Maine's total population. The population of the city is 64,000"\

Whoops, now I know what SS meant - yes, Portland, ME, is physically very large. It has a total area of 52.6 square miles (21.2 square meters land, 31.4 square meters water) from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Maine. Portland OR is large, too, though, largely because of our in-city parks (we have the largest in the nation), 145.4 square miles, 11.1 square miles of water.

Who the heck asked that!? (Hmm, hope I didn't! :doi: )

Hey, nice to see this post:

It was when I was at NAI and my manager told me to take a vacation. (It was just as flame out was occuring in my career. Hmm, I need a brain scoop, I think my pulse just went up just on the thought.)

So any comments on the Best Friend's Pictures?

Aw, why'd you have to repost that? Now I want to drive out there and get another kitty!

^ v ^

They're very cute. I think Babysitter looks the most adoptable, but Thumper makes me laugh, with his back legs splayed out like that. There's another one, I think unnamed, who's grey and fat and who looks utterly cuddleable.

Sorry Alice... After another absolutely horrible night... we finally have a handle on it.

Symantec has officially informed us that the fix for the virus we have is to rebuild the servers!!!! :shock::mad:

Thankfully we got the important one rebuilt last night, and the others can be done during the day next week. So my daytime posting will be slow until that is finished, but at least no more late nights for me.

I'm heading over to try to catch up on the game, see you in a bit.

Sorry Alice... After another absolutely horrible night... we finally have a handle on it.

Symantec has officially informed us that the fix for the virus we have is to rebuild the servers!!!! :shock::mad:

Thankfully we got the important one rebuilt last night, and the others can be done during the day next week. So my daytime posting will be slow until that is finished, but at least no more late nights for me.

Okay. I figured it was due to a situation beyond your control, which is why I just moved around it, rather than make you deal with a frothing-at-the-mouth Alice.

^ v ^;

That sucks, you guys should keep at them. (just on general principle)

Anyway, glad to know you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You and me both. It has certainly caused a couple changes to our existing policies that's for sure.

Yeah, been there.

Here's a pretty fun and annoying little thing - we have a significant piece of software that won't run (server-side not client, thankfully) if there's any virus protection. Even with the current release. Idiots. :rolleyes:

Yeesh! What infection was this? Crap, if you have to do that, you need to start firing people for getting your system infected. (I've worked in places where that was done.) And go to air gap security.

Symantec has officially informed us that the fix for the virus we have is to rebuild the servers!!!!

We recommend the use of Veritas Bare Metal Restoreâ„¢ for situations like that. It's like a total disk-image backup. This is absolutely no help to you now, but if it happens again...

Unfortunately, the powers that be in control don't like spending money on "frivalous software that may never be needed" note that is their words not mine.

When I was hired I came from teaching IT, databases, and programming for 7 years, and 12 years overall of computer experience. They hired me from a very large list of candidates for my knowledge and expertise, but as soon as I started talking about changing things, they told me no. :rolleyes: I learned to keep quiet and do what I could until stuff like this happens and then I get to step up and make more suggestions. Unfortunately they don't always see things past the dollar amounts. Oh well.

Unfortunately, the powers that be in control don't like spending money on "frivalous software that may never be needed" note that is their words not mine.

When I was hired I came from teaching IT, databases, and programming for 7 years, and 12 years overall of computer experience. They hired me from a very large list of candidates for my knowledge and expertise, but as soon as I started talking about changing things, they told me no. :rolleyes: I learned to keep quiet and do what I could until stuff like this happens and then I get to step up and make more suggestions. Unfortunately they don't always see things past the dollar amounts. Oh well.

Just between us, I would recommend you start putting resumes out there. An outfit that cheap cannot afford your level of expertise. If they could, they'd take your advice and come out ahead in the long run.

Also, that sort of goobers are ripe for the first fast-talking offshoring representative to walk in the door, and that's an even better reason to give the exits some serious inspection.