Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Only one person has to do numbers. (If everyone did, then the popularity of the sport would drop to near zero, if my students are at all representative of the population.) Everyone has to get guns and shoot stuff, but that's the fun part.

Only one person has to do numbers. (If everyone did' date=' then the popularity of the sport would drop to near zero, if my students are at all representative of the population.) Everyone has to get guns and shoot stuff, but that's the fun part.[/quote']

That's the idea anyway. For the people we played it went the other way. They all got guns and got shot... alot.

Hoo hah!

I just made a call for anyone interested in a San Angelo game on Hero Central. If anyone is interested come on over and post as such.

The Club already IS a San Angelo game, supposedly.

Do we need any knowledge about the San Angelo setting?

Supers, Dark Champs... what?

I thought The Club was San Angeles. Note the slightly different spelling. When I looked through it it didn't look like SA either. I was surprised as I thought that was what it was the first time I say it.

You don't "need" to know anything about the setting as it will unfold pretty quickly.

I'm up for suggestions. So far, I have had one 'request' for a Dark Champions setting for a solo hero. I'm very open to ideas at this point. The setting is extremely flexible and can handle just about anything. I want to try to keep some continuity across all the PCs though to allow for cross overs and such between solos and teams.

Yes, Omega Corporation is intended to be a short adventure rather than a big campaign. It could turn into a campaign, but my intent is to keep it relatively short.

SA on the other hand I intend to make much grander in scope.

I need some help. I don't currently have Dark Champions, and I've got a couple requests to use Dark Champions characters in my SA game. Can someone tell me the point totals usually assigned to Dark Champions characters?

Also, are there any real differences between the way a DC character is built versus a standard Champions character is built?

I may just declare that all characters will be standard Champions characters with differences being disads and powers.

Actually the reason even for athletes is extremely questionable, the significance in adding speed (which is the cyclists' excuse, not sure about swimmers) seems unlikely, it seems more to be a matter of highlighting muscle definition, really, i.e., as with women, a form of vanity (though I'm not saying anything at all against it (PS - in fact in general I think hairless is a better look even for men), I'm just mentioning it).

It's cultural, but it's all vanity, same reason I take a bath every day instead of once every few days. Medically, there's no real need. But I think that the cultural aesthetic is fair and I subscribe to it. Besides, you've seen, I'm sure, plenty of women who don't shave and they certainly fit into certain communities (punk rock, certain hardcore lesbian circles, to name a couple).

I came to the conclusion that body-shaving among male swimmers and cyclists was more a "psych-out" thing, along the same lines as charging into battle covered with nothing but blue tattoos. But vanity is a possibility too.

Good point, could be a psych thing, it seems that whatever the basis is swimmers and cyclers generally cling, publicly, to the notion it shaves some 1/100ths of seconds of speed. Which if true, in those sports, would matter, but from what I read (having just read recently, oddly enough, on this), any evidence to support this is quite thin.

I'll toss this out for consideration - A good friend in high school who was also a very VERY avid cyclist said the only reason he shaved his legs, and arms, was because it did less damage when he wiped out on the asphalt. Without the hair to pull large pieces of flesh off, his scraps tended to be fairly small and easy to clean out and heal. Of course during the healing process the hair grew back as well.

One bit of vanity I could do without, really . . .

Shaving armpits makes more sense to me, actually, though it's far less visible. Stink clings to hair.

Not really so much as you might think. Mostly it is just a matter that humans have scent generating glands in their armpits. But I've never shaved my pits, and they smell nice and clean after a shower. I don't have to scrub extra hard or anthing to get the stink off the hair in my pits or anything. Nor any of my other hair, though I'll admit that it takes more time for me to wash and condition the hair on my head than it takes most people, but I've got more of it, so that balances out.

I'll second (or third or whatever) the idea that it is a split between/combination of vanity and cultural conditioning. The culture most of us lives in says "Women should have hair on their scalps, eyebrows, eyelids, and optionally their genital area. All other hair must go". We were raised in that culture, so women that don't conform to that get odd looks. To a lesser extent the culture also says "Men shouldn't have hair much longer than shoulder length, and it should really be off the collar". So I get frequent odd looks and minor hassles because my hair is waist length.

Though I'll say I've never assumed that a woman that doesn't shave her legs is lacking in hygene, and it never really occured to me that other people thought that. Granted, I'm a guy, but I've never shaved my legs, and I certainly don't think of myself as lacking in the hygene department. Heck I got looks of shock and amazment when some of the women at work were asking me about my hair and I said that I just wash and condition it every day. Most of them couldn't beleve that I do that EVERY day, since they have less that I do and THEY don't wash and condition every day.

*shrug*