Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Good point' date=' could be a psych thing, it seems that whatever the basis is swimmers and cyclers generally cling, publicly, to the notion it shaves some 1/100ths of seconds of speed. Which if true, in those sports, would matter, but from what I read (having just read recently, oddly enough, on this), any evidence to support this is quite thin.[/quote']

Yeah, but cyclists worry about things like how many 10ths of ounces they can shave off the weight of their equipment, and how aerodynamic their helmet is.

I'll toss this out for consideration - A good friend in high school who was also a very VERY avid cyclist said the only reason he shaved his legs' date=' and arms, was because it did less damage when he wiped out on the asphalt. Without the hair to pull large pieces of flesh off, his scraps tended to be fairly small and easy to clean out and heal. Of course during the healing process the hair grew back as well.[/quote']

That's a pretty interesting point, thanks.

Not really so much as you might think. Mostly it is just a matter that humans have scent generating glands in their armpits. But I've never shaved my pits, and they smell nice and clean after a shower. I don't have to scrub extra hard or anthing to get the stink off the hair in my pits or anything. Nor any of my other hair, though I'll admit that it takes more time for me to wash and condition the hair on my head than it takes most people, but I've got more of it, so that balances out.

I'll second (or third or whatever) the idea that it is a split between/combination of vanity and cultural conditioning. The culture most of us lives in says "Women should have hair on their scalps, eyebrows, eyelids, and optionally their genital area. All other hair must go". We were raised in that culture, so women that don't conform to that get odd looks. To a lesser extent the culture also says "Men shouldn't have hair much longer than shoulder length, and it should really be off the collar". So I get frequent odd looks and minor hassles because my hair is waist length.

Though I'll say I've never assumed that a woman that doesn't shave her legs is lacking in hygene, and it never really occured to me that other people thought that. Granted, I'm a guy, but I've never shaved my legs, and I certainly don't think of myself as lacking in the hygene department. Heck I got looks of shock and amazment when some of the women at work were asking me about my hair and I said that I just wash and condition it every day. Most of them couldn't beleve that I do that EVERY day, since they have less that I do and THEY don't wash and condition every day.

*shrug*

You really only need ONE stranger to say "EEEEEWWWWW!" at you before you start conforming, as far as shaven legs are concerned. And, considering that hair on one's legs comes at about the same time as one is becoming extremely self-conscious about one's body (early teens, in other words), that's a lesson that sticks.

I started shaving my armpits last summer. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I actually sweat a bit less, and what I do sweat doesn't soak in my pit hair and make me feel sweaty. Damn site more comfortable too.

I'd shave my chest ... but I keep getting these visions of accidentaly shaving my nipples off and that just squicks me out...

I'd shave my chest ... but I keep getting these visions of accidentaly shaving my nipples off and that just squicks me out...
For a person ho doesn't mind "women's cycles" that's jsut funny. :D

Actually the reason even for athletes is extremely questionable' date=' the significance in adding speed (which is the cyclists' excuse, not sure about swimmers) seems unlikely, it seems more to be a matter of highlighting muscle definition, really, i.e., as with women, a form of vanity (though I'm not saying anything at all against it (PS - in fact in general I think hairless is a better look even for men), I'm just mentioning it).[/quote']

Supposedly it does add some amount of speed for swimming. But it was much better for the psych out than anything else. It did feel different while swimming though.

Bicycling: Made the bandaging easier, that's for sure. Don't think it did anything for speed or the actual scrape.

---

Why American women started shaving:

Marketing. Straight Dope

p.s. Just popping in and saying hi. Was looking up something. ;)

I started shaving my armpits last summer. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I actually sweat a bit less, and what I do sweat doesn't soak in my pit hair and make me feel sweaty. Damn site more comfortable too.

You could use Nair's product for men.

I'm tempted to post that pic of the Energizer Bunny again' date=' but the last time I did that I made keyes_bill cry... :no::([/quote'] Instead of the Energizer Bunny, why not the Playboy Bunny. I'd like to see him cry :eg:

I'm re-reading The Price of Glory, sort of on the 90th anniversary of the Verdun in WW1. There's sort of a drive-by quote of Asquith's, about the War Office keeping three sets of figures, 'one to mislead the public, one to mislead the Cabinet, and the third to mislead itself'. Somewhere I've thought that before about a different organization and time....

The term is over, with the stake driven through the heart. Course grades are in.

Feel goods: The student who sent me a begging email right after the final asking for a C (lest he flunk out of the university) did well enough on the final to earn a C+. The woman who was aceing everything continued, nailing a 140 out of 140 on the final.

Annoyances: Large number of people seem to have blown off the course late in the term. I find it difficult to explain a 2 out of 140 on the final otherwise.

sign outside a dog grooming shop up the steet:

*picture of a dog in the window*

"This dog is smarter then Bush"

People who do not have a basic grasp of the English language are NOT allowed to call other people stupid. Ever.

Holy crap we have morons in this country.

sign outside a dog grooming shop up the steet:

*picture of a dog in the window*

"This dog is smarter then Bush"

People who do not have a basic grasp of the English language are NOT allowed to call other people stupid. Ever.

Holy crap we have morons in this country.

Yeah, I'm always amused by someone correcting someone else's spelling or grammar, and there's a spelling or grammar mistake in THEIR post. It makes me chuckle.

Someone posted this in a grammar community I'm in:

I really like 24, but address is spelt wrong. I am not a grammer nazi, I swear, I just noticed that when I was about to grab it

:snicker:

At one point the WSU College of Education had a page that said, "Spelling and grammer [sic] are important." It was there for a while, and then was taken down. We had some point-and-laugh moments about that.