Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Sweet! Thanks guys. Here is a pic during the break, just after the previous one.

Yes, I'm the guy standing taller than everyone else.

That's funny. I'd have sprinted around the hard cover behind you when the whistle blew, instead of standing there and engaging in a Bangkok rules shootout. What was the game, straight elim or something more interesting?

Yes and no, but mainly yes. To put music on the IPod you need iTunes. Also you use iTunes to set an option to "use disk mode" which means you can then use your iPod as a hard disk and back up important files etc. A 30 Gig iPod is much better for transferring huge files than a 2Gb pen drive. Also note that you can only put music (inc Itunes store) files on a iPod. This is a requirement imposed by the record labels to prevent piracy. To get music files off the iPod you need one of the many shareware/freeware utilities found on the Net.

Let just say that I have a 5,000 song playlist and I've added meta data to every song in my library. For the albums that were released in the 60's, 70s, 80s etc and added genre information to each song. With a smart playlist I can create a playlist that uses that year metadata I added to find all the "60s" songs and add them automatically. Ditto for the 70s, 80s etc. So far I have 3 smart albums: 60s 70s, 80s. I can also create a "punk" smartlist and all the punk albums/songs/artists are automatically added to it. Ditto for other genres.

Lets say that I go on a buying spree and buy 50 albums. These new albums get automatically added to the smart playlists depending on the metadata recorded for them without me manually adding them. So the new Sex Pistols album from the 70s get added to the 70s smart playlist and the Punk smart playlist.

Most metadata stored int he ID tags can be used to create smart playlists. Some smart playlists I have are "Top 25 Most Played", "Recently played" and "MPEG" (listing my MP3 songs)

Thanks much. I'm really surprised that you can't put music on an iPod without iTunes - totally unacceptable and part of what I hate about MS and Apple. If I do buy a portable music device, it definitely won't be an iPod then because I don't want the iTunes virus on my machine.

Thanks much. I'm really surprised that you can't put music on an iPod without iTunes - totally unacceptable and part of what I hate about MS and Apple. If I do buy a portable music device' date=' it definitely won't be an iPod then because I don't want the iTunes virus on my machine.[/quote'] Ummm, iTunes is now a virus? Nah... ;)

You can't put music on an Ipod without iTunes because

- iTunes (allegedly) creates the DRM on the songs you purchase from the iTunes Store after they have finished downloading. The DRM is a record company requirement against piracy.

- you can put music on your iPod that you have ripped from CDs but you go through iTunes to do it.

These are the two main reasons why iTunes is bundled with the iPod purchase. the iPod device itself has a unsophisticated OS and needs iTunes for some of the sophistication.

I personally don't consider the ITunes/Ipod thing to be all that bad. Whe you sync PIM info to a PDA like a Palm Pilot doen't you use a software program to do it with? If so, what is the difference with iTunes and the iPod?

That's funny. I'd have sprinted around the hard cover behind you when the whistle blew' date=' instead of standing there and engaging in a Bangkok rules shootout. What was the game, straight elim or something more interesting?[/quote']

The hard cover is the start box and dead box when you're eliminated. You aren't supposed to use it as a bunker.

Theoretically, it was center flag, but usually people just stop when the other team is eliminated.

Ummm, iTunes is now a virus? Nah... ;)

- iTunes (allegedly) creates the DRM on the songs you purchase from the iTunes Store after they have finished downloading. The DRM is a record company requirement against piracy.

- you can put music on your iPod that you have ripped from CDs but you go through iTunes to do it.

These are the two main reasons why iTunes is bundled with the iPod purchase. the iPod device itself has a unsophisticated OS and needs iTunes for some of the sophistication.

I personally don't consider the ITunes/Ipod thing to be all that bad. Whe you sync PIM info to a PDA like a Palm Pilot doen't you use a software program to do it with? If so, what is the difference with iTunes and the iPod?

I say virus just in regard to its installation against one's will with other applications, that's all.

Ummm, iTunes is now a virus? Nah... ;)

PS - my lack of interest in iTunes is that I don't see why I should be hostage to it when I can just buy a CD or from other sites download LEGAL unprotected music and make my own backups and put it on whatever player I like. That along with the scheme Apple has concocted with its tool and partners' tools to force-install iTunes.

Since Zorn mentioned his appreciation for action pics... I now offer this for your perusal. This was taken by a pro photog during the Vegas Open earlier this year. I'm not even in the pic' date=' but, it's still pretty cool.[/quote']

I still have to spread around rep before repping you, apparently, looks cool, thanks.

Well, of course, the argument would go otherwise, that it's a matter of property and licensing, which strictly speaking is a reasonable enough approach. There's lots of theories that all IP will be similarly protected, and tons of research continues on to attempt to create a "perfect" protection scheme by which everything electronic could be protected. Conceptually, I don't disagree from the perspective of a society obsessed with property rights. But from other perspectives, such as intellectual buliding and growth and cultural communication, it's a problem.

I say virus just in regard to its installation against one's will with other applications' date=' that's all.[/quote']

If you're refering to the iTunes must be installed with Quicktime that I hear all sorts of complaints about . . . that's only 1/2 true. Actually it's all false with a bunch of flash in front of it.

There is a link on the Quicktime Download page to just install Quicktime without iTunes. By making the bundled install the larger main link Apple hopes to sneak in a few other customers by osmosis.

But iTunes is by no means required to be installed with any other software Apple makes available.

Also - to get iTunes Store downloads to work on any device simply burn them as a normal Audio CD which strips the DRM (the DRM is encoded in the file type, which is a proprietary MP4 called Apple Lossless, and not by iTunes), then reburn the now normal audio CD in the desired format. Very little to no quality it lost in the process as Apple Lossless is actually a pretty decent format.

This does 2 things:

Backs up your music purchase (always a good idea).

Allows your music to be used with any device you happen to own.

I find iTunes to be no more intrusive than any other music organization program. I also happen to like the iPod form factors over most other MP3 players on the market.

The iTunes store and Apple DRM are another matter altogether.

If you're refering to the iTunes must be installed with Quicktime that I hear all sorts of complaints about . . . that's only 1/2 true. Actually it's all false with a bunch of flash in front of it.

There is a link on the Quicktime Download page to just install Quicktime without iTunes. By making the bundled install the larger main link Apple hopes to sneak in a few other customers by osmosis.

But iTunes is by no means required to be installed with any other software Apple makes available.

Also - to get iTunes Store downloads to work on any device simply burn them as a normal Audio CD which strips the DRM (the DRM is encoded in the file type, which is a proprietary MP4 called Apple Lossless, and not by iTunes), then reburn the now normal audio CD in the desired format. Very little to no quality it lost in the process as Apple Lossless is actually a pretty decent format.

This does 2 things:

Backs up your music purchase (always a good idea).

Allows your music to be used with any device you happen to own.

I find iTunes to be no more intrusive than any other music organization program. I also happen to like the iPod form factors over most other MP3 players on the market.

The iTunes store and Apple DRM are another matter altogether.

I know it's not required, but it also has been a co-install with another app, Nero or something, I forget which. It's just annoying. That wouldn't stop me from getting it if I had some reason, but I don't, and even if I did then DRM probably would stop me.

PS - I just realized what you wrote, interesting, so it doesn't enforce DRM on successive generation copies? That's a different matter, then.

PS - I just realized what you wrote' date=' interesting, so it doesn't enforce DRM on successive generation copies? That's a different matter, then.[/quote']

yes and no. The trick is the only way to remove DRM is to create an Audio CD, and since that format is older than dirt has no DRM on it, just take that to you your favorite ripping program (like, say, iTunes which is just throwing it back in their faces) convert to MP3 and voila - DRMless tracks.

The issue is really, that the only reason DRM exists on iTunes Store tracks is so that they could get the thing off the ground in the first place; the RIAA would never have sold them the rights to sell any music otherwise. Apple is saying "Right, anything you download from the store and keep in our Apple Format has DRM on it. Manage to convert your legally owned music away from that and well, we have no control over formats we didn't create ourselves you know . . . "

yes and no. The trick is the only way to remove DRM is to create an Audio CD' date=' and since that format is older than dirt has no DRM on it, just take that to you your favorite ripping program (like, say, iTunes which is just throwing it back in their faces) convert to MP3[/quote'] -- or any other format iTunes supports, if you use iTunes --
and voila - DRMless tracks.

yes and no. The trick is the only way to remove DRM is to create an Audio CD, and since that format is older than dirt has no DRM on it, just take that to you your favorite ripping program (like, say, iTunes which is just throwing it back in their faces) convert to MP3 and voila - DRMless tracks.

The issue is really, that the only reason DRM exists on iTunes Store tracks is so that they could get the thing off the ground in the first place; the RIAA would never have sold them the rights to sell any music otherwise. Apple is saying "Right, anything you download from the store and keep in our Apple Format has DRM on it. Manage to convert your legally owned music away from that and well, we have no control over formats we didn't create ourselves you know . . . "

Thanks.

I just got what I belive is japanese spam.

Subject Line Translated from Hiragana: Test

Email Body Translated: First Mail

Second email from same person: 456 (No Subject Line)

The other possibility is that's from someone trying to develop a japanese spam utility in the live environment. (I once had responsibility for the corporate's internal-spam utility, and I made very heavy use of the test environment, precisely because of messages like that.) If you don't care about what people think of you as you send junk out, though, ....