Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Just finished Margrave of the Marshes which is the autobiography and biography of the British DJ John Peel. It is both because John died having written about half of the book. The other half was written by his wife and family. If you ever heard him on the radio or saw one of his rare TV appearances the then tone of the book is similar to that.

He was important as having broken artists in Britain like Marc Bolan, Nirvana, The White Stripes, The Fall and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

He is sadly missed.

He was important as having broken artists in Britain like Marc Bolan' date=' Nirvana, The White Stripes, The Fall and Siouxsie and the Banshees.[/quote']

His fix-it skills must have been amazing. Artists are really difficult to repair once you've broken them.

I've never seen an advantage of things like iTunes over WinAmp or the like.

The only real advantage is that iTunes works with my iPod, which winamp does not.

Beynod that it breaks down simply into preferences of programs. I happen to like the interface of iTunes. i don't know what the latest incarnation of Winamp has for features in working with your library but the smartplaylists of iTunes are damn cool.

The only real advantage is that iTunes works with my iPod, which winamp does not.

Beynod that it breaks down simply into preferences of programs. I happen to like the interface of iTunes. i don't know what the latest incarnation of Winamp has for features in working with your library but the smartplaylists of iTunes are damn cool.

You don't have to have iTunes to work with an iPod, do you?

PS - what's the "smartplaylist" do?

PPS - I wasn't implying it was anything other than personal pref, I was just referring to my own, that's all, not making a larger statement

More cancerous brain damage:

I see the thread titled Best way to make a spider mine? and ...

• At first, I wondered why you'd have to dig underground to get a source for spiders.
  • Next (NB: this was right after reading the "Now this is vile" thread) was "You're seeking commitment, romance, and carnal knowledge of arthropods?!?"

You don't have to have iTunes to work with an iPod' date=' do you? [/quote'] Yes and no, but mainly yes. To put music on the IPod you need iTunes. Also you use iTunes to set an option to "use disk mode" which means you can then use your iPod as a hard disk and back up important files etc. A 30 Gig iPod is much better for transferring huge files than a 2Gb pen drive. Also note that you can only put music (inc Itunes store) files on a iPod. This is a requirement imposed by the record labels to prevent piracy. To get music files off the iPod you need one of the many shareware/freeware utilities found on the Net.

PS - what's the "smartplaylist" do?
Let just say that I have a 5,000 song playlist and I've added meta data to every song in my library. For the albums that were released in the 60's, 70s, 80s etc and added genre information to each song. With a smart playlist I can create a playlist that uses that year metadata I added to find all the "60s" songs and add them automatically. Ditto for the 70s, 80s etc. So far I have 3 smart albums: 60s 70s, 80s. I can also create a "punk" smartlist and all the punk albums/songs/artists are automatically added to it. Ditto for other genres.

Lets say that I go on a buying spree and buy 50 albums. These new albums get automatically added to the smart playlists depending on the metadata recorded for them without me manually adding them. So the new Sex Pistols album from the 70s get added to the 70s smart playlist and the Punk smart playlist.

Most metadata stored int he ID tags can be used to create smart playlists. Some smart playlists I have are "Top 25 Most Played", "Recently played" and "MPEG" (listing my MP3 songs)