Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

That's correct about platelets. Every so often on one of my regular visits I was told they were collecting platelets as well. Similar to they way every so often they would collect leukocytes (white blood cells).

I'm not sure that none of the products go to transfusions, but I do know that many of the products go to making medication and for research.

The program I was on, called the "Anti-D" program, harvested antigens keyed to the RH+ factor. These made their way into medications as a way to prevent Hemolytic disease of the newborn.

Well, last I checked there is a Federal level law that forbids the use of blood products gained for compensation in transfusions. Whether or not that applies to medicines derived from those products I don't know. But the idea behind the law is that the most important part of the disease screening process is the questionaire filled out by the person being drawn. If they are getting compensation, and only get it if their blood products are accepted then they have incentive to lie on the questionaire. This puts the blood supply in jeopardy.

Though the stricture is frequently gotten around. Federal employees for instance get 1/2 day off for donating blood. Though they actually get that just for going down to donate, whether they get turned away or not. I had a guy almost come over the teching table at me when I turned him down at a Trek convention in Denver. The con gave out free memberships to the next con as a reward for donating. They guy paid for the con ever six months that way. When I turned him down (as I recall he'd had asprin in the last 3 days or something like that) he went ballistic and said obviously he'd have to lie next time. So I told him I was entering a note that would list him as a permanant deferral, which was the standard policy at the blood center I worked at under those circumstances. He actually started coming over the table at me, but was restrained by some security people before he did any damage or got hurt himself. The previous yelling had them close at hand and waiting. So not only did he screw up his ability to get his free con membership anymore, he got kicked out of that one too. :)

My left arm is scarred enough they have problems getting a vein there' date=' so I have them use my right arm now.[/quote']

Yeah, I have a fair amount of scar tissue on both arms. Though not so thick as to make it really difficult to get the stick done. But it does scare some phlebs off. Though I do have large well anchored veins.

And I have always loved the E&M part of [a certain physics textbook], which remains largely untainted by the physics education storm troopers who mutilated mechanics.

Amusing outtakes from work emails, chapter 97.

It depends what kind of grader he is. If he's the kind that just puts a cryptic mark somewhere in the vicinity of the wrong answer, he won't need that many. If, like I used to before I stopped caring, he actually takes the time to write helpful comments so the dimwits have a last chance to learn something, then there is not enough red ink in all the world.

Except maybe in Washington, D.C.