Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Hmm. Five-star restaurant here in Seattle offering a 4-course dinner deal for $45 a plate, $85 if you get their wine pairings too. I've been there before, and you can drop $125 a plate with very little effort ... and it's worth it if you're into good food.

Hmm. Five-star restaurant here in Seattle offering a 4-course dinner deal for $45 a plate' date=' $85 if you get their wine pairings too. I've been there before, and you can drop $125 a plate with very little effort ... and it's worth it if you're into good food.[/quote']

Which restaurant? Just curious if it's one of the ones we made trips for in the past.

I've been living in one place for too long, perhaps. I got my 5-gallon blood donor pin today. I got past 4 in Austin before I moved away from there; add a couple gallons in eastern WA, and another 1+ in Indiana. It only took me three separate terms in residence here to get to 5g.

I've been living in one place for too long' date=' perhaps. I got my 5-gallon blood donor pin today. I got past 4 in Austin before I moved away from there; add a couple gallons in eastern WA, and another 1+ in Indiana. It only took me three separate terms in residence here to get to 5g.[/quote']

Cool beanios! :thumbup:

I got to 5 gallons at the hospital I used to work for, but then again I was doing plasma and platelets every 4 weeks. :)

I used to donate plasma/platelets religiously twice a week. I was on a special progam that paid significantly more than the regular plasma. Unfortunately, when I moved to a new city to take a promotion, I couldn't continue doing that (too far away and no center w/ same plan here). So in taking my promotion and increased salary, my actual total income went down.

I used to donate plasma/platelets religiously twice a week. I was on a special progam that paid significantly more than the regular plasma. Unfortunately' date=' when I moved to a new city to take a promotion, I couldn't continue doing that (too far away and no center w/ same plan here). So in taking my promotion and increased salary, my actual total income went down.[/quote']

I'm assuming that you're talking about just plasma, as you can't donate platelets that often. Your body just doesn't make them that fast. And really you shouldn't donate plasma that often unless you are taking specific medications, and taking in large amounts of fluids.

And as a note, I was talking about actually donating, rather than selling. Blood products that are sold rather than donated cannot be used for transfusions. Most of the plasma that the for pay plasma centers collect gets used by the makeup industry, or at least it did when I worked for the blood center in Denver. Selling plasma is a decent way to make some extra money, but for the most part it doesn't help save any lives. Though I'll grant that some of it gets used for research, most of it gets used for commercial purposes.

(Sigh) I last donated in 2001 and I almost have my 4 gallon pin, but I fear my donating days are over because the last almost 20 times I tried I was rejected mostly because I get scared and my pulse and blood pressure shoot way up. This is only a problem at Blood Donation though. Blood tests don't phase me. Another problem is since 2001 many have tried, none have succeeded in getting blood from my arm. Blood Testers must use my wrist or hand to get anything.

I'm assuming that you're talking about just plasma, as you can't donate platelets that often. Your body just doesn't make them that fast. And really you shouldn't donate plasma that often unless you are taking specific medications, and taking in large amounts of fluids.

And as a note, I was talking about actually donating, rather than selling. Blood products that are sold rather than donated cannot be used for transfusions. Most of the plasma that the for pay plasma centers collect gets used by the makeup industry, or at least it did when I worked for the blood center in Denver. Selling plasma is a decent way to make some extra money, but for the most part it doesn't help save any lives. Though I'll grant that some of it gets used for research, most of it gets used for commercial purposes.

That's correct about platelets. Every so often on one of my regular visits I was told they were collecting platelets as well. Similar to they way every so often they would collect leukocytes (white blood cells).

I'm not sure that none of the products go to transfusions, but I do know that many of the products go to making medication and for research.

The program I was on, called the "Anti-D" program, harvested antigens keyed to the RH+ factor. These made their way into medications as a way to prevent Hemolytic disease of the newborn.

My wife has to go via butterfly needle most times. She asks for the most experienced person and explains her vein are a problem.

Me, they just wave a needle at my arm and the bag is full.

Ah. Large vein near the surface that doesn't move around?

I used to be a Phlebotomist. :)