The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

OddHat used to eat Ostrich burgers when they had them at Fuddruckers. A few years ago they stopped carrying them so he switched to buffalo burgers. Late last year or early this year they went out of business and OddHat misses them a lot. He says they had the best burgers you could get around here.

OddHat used to eat Ostrich burgers when they had them at Fuddruckers. A few years ago they stopped carrying them so he switched to buffalo burgers. Late last year or early this year they went out of business and OddHat misses them a lot. He says they had the best burgers you could get around here.

They're still around, at least in DC. Buffalo burgers, Salmon burgers, Elk burgers, etc. There's a place in DC called Bobby's Burger Palace that offers turkey burgers as a sub for their regular burgers.

Soooo....Some people make it very hard to be compassionate.

My girlfriend (squee) works for a non profit family homeless shelter; she used to be a big deal project manager in New York but after her divorce she threw that away to work on something that helped her soul...she worked in an orphanage in New Deli for 3 months immediately following her split.

So now she's on the left coast working in the Portland area and she's the night person. The only one. She works from 2-10 and most of the time things are good, or at worst annoying. Yesterday some woman verbally abused her because they had arrived late and had to eat their free meal outside (kitchen was closed for the night) and when the angry homeless mother (the non-profit only accepts those with children) came back with her husband...he punched Sabrina in the stomach when her back was turned.

So, she calls the cops and files a report and family gets the heave ho. I'm so pissed off I can't see straight because she works alone with no security. She's getting some mace (apparently it was verboten to carry it in New York so she never had any). Luckily someone is leaving soon and she will probably move to the day shift in September.

Gonna be a long 4 months.

Venting done.

The family "gets the heave ho"? No arrest? No assault and battery charges? WTFrell?

I often get turkey burgers at Ruby Tuesday that are pretty good. Although they usually get smeared with mayo' date=' which defeats the purpose.[/quote']

The simple incantation "No mayo." usually works. :P

Tend to prefer mustard, myself.

As an American I would like to say that most of us will eat anything not nailed down -- but I can't find anyone who'll eat lutefisk' date=' ok, maybe on a dare.[/quote']

There's a big enough Scandahoovian community here that it is eaten reasonably often.

No, not by me.

The simple incantation "No mayo." usually works. :P

Tend to prefer mustard, myself.

Ditto. I tend not to like mayonnaise on any hot foods, 'cause mayo gets kinda nasty when it warms up.

Strangely, though, I don't have this problem with, say, sour cream in Mexican or psuedoMexican (aka Taco Bell) food.

A good mayo tastes like eggs and vinegar, but I don't use it on everything. I used to know how to make mayonnaise from scratch, which was important the one time I was making Thousand Island dressing and needed some, but none was available. The ingredients were!

I had a lawn once. Now I have weeds' date=' and bare dirt.[/quote']

Pave it with gravel and make a rock garden. Soothing and low maintenance! :D

put in one of the "non-clumping" (relatively) buffalo grass varieties. some only grow to 6 inches high, perfect for a personal meadow.