The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Actually' date=' I'm more a mass-destruction kind of guy. I don't really want anything smaller than a 175mm howitzer.[/quote']

that would be rather fun, but I'd be happy with a 50-60mm mortar, I think.

I read an article where a guy had found and purchased a "new in box" WWII reduced range 60mm mortar training kit. I don't remember whether it had a sub-caliber sleeve, but it used re-usable rubber projectiles, and iirc a .38 special case for propellant.

I think the range was 50-200 yards, or some such.

Just enough to have some fun.

Living in WA, I can't even get a suppressor or MG with a Federal Tax stamp, unfortunately.

Oh well.

that would be rather fun, but I'd be happy with a 50-60mm mortar, I think.

I read an article where a guy had found and purchased a "new in box" WWII reduced range 60mm mortar training kit. I don't remember whether it had a sub-caliber sleeve, but it used re-usable rubber projectiles, and iirc a .38 special case for propellant.

I think the range was 50-200 yards, or some such.

Just enough to have some fun.

Living in WA, I can't even get a suppressor or MG with a Federal Tax stamp, unfortunately.

Oh well.

Man, that sounds like a hoot.

As an undergrad at UW, I had a three-man slingshot that we would shoot with on campus. Threw a small water balloon up to about 60 yards, just about completely silent. Choose your spots carefully and no one can see you. The thing coiled up and fit in my parka pocket easily, where it looked like I'd wadded up my gloves and left them there. It's not all that accurate -- we never hit a person, but we could make sure our target knew they'd been shot at by the "splat" within 10 feet of 'em.

We had a huge amount of fun with it, shooting around campus. UW campus is just about ideal setting for it, too.

Man, that sounds like a hoot.

As an undergrad at UW, I had a three-man slingshot that we would shoot with on campus. Threw a small water balloon up to about 60 yards, just about completely silent. Choose your spots carefully and no one can see you. The thing coiled up and fit in my parka pocket easily, where it looked like I'd wadded up my gloves and left them there. It's not all that accurate -- we never hit a person, but we could make sure our target knew they'd been shot at by the "splat" within 10 feet of 'em.

We had a huge amount of fun with it, shooting around campus. UW campus is just about ideal setting for it, too.

A mini Funnelator, huh? :) I never actually got involved with one there, but the thought...

I wonder how a water balloon stuffed full of paintballs would work? :eg:

while aspiring to be an engineering college some of us built potato guns... the prize was the guy that built the propane power version.

We're moderately sure we broke the sound barrier with one test fire. Though there was no evidence of a projectile anywhere so we've no idea what the actual range was.

Too expensive. A water balloon filled with water and then a few drops of permanent ink or dye mixed in is a lot cheaper!

Uh...how do I know? Well... :whistle::angel:

I had a dispenser bottle (like the plastic mustard bottle at a hot dog stand) that was full of fluorescent pink tempera paint. Very rarely we'd put a shot of that into the balloon before filling it up with water. Gotta be especially careful of your ammo handling when you do that, though.

I also recall going to the Safeway near midnight one Saturday, going to the produce section, and getting 8 or 10 tomatoes that were pretty sorry, going bad. (Any overripe produce works, of course.) Then on our way back to the dorms, we launched the things into the chaos of Greek Row.

And we could drop balloons into the tennis courts, too, from a sunken area in front of the dorm where were just about completely unobservable even by day. Being the guy doing the drawing, I never saw it happen, but several of our "forward observers" described expressions of incredulity on the players as a water balloon smashed into the forecourt as a volley was going on.

I had a dispenser bottle (like the plastic mustard bottle at a hot dog stand) that was full of fluorescent pink tempera paint. Very rarely we'd put a shot of that into the balloon before filling it up with water. Gotta be especially careful of your ammo handling when you do that, though.

I also recall going to the Safeway near midnight one Saturday, going to the produce section, and getting 8 or 10 tomatoes that were pretty sorry, going bad. (Any overripe produce works, of course.) Then on our way back to the dorms, we launched the things into the chaos of Greek Row.

And we could drop balloons into the tennis courts, too, from a sunken area in front of the dorm where were just about completely unobservable even by day. Being the guy doing the drawing, I never saw it happen, but several of our "forward observers" described expressions of incredulity on the players as a water balloon smashed into the forecourt as a volley was going on.

McMahon hall?

Arrgh.

I was having a great day... Got a couple oif checks ion the mail, went to the bank and made my balance larger than its been in years. I got some cash back, went to Trader Joes, bought myself a sack of luxury foods I don't often get, and headed home to get ready for my Dress Rehersal...

And found my/my semi-ex's rat, Skitter, lying gasping for air, with blood crusted around her eyes and nose.

I held her, cleaned her, tried to warm her up and get her hyrated and called my sis, a former AHT major and lifetime petstore person.... and she told me that it was probably hopeless.

I left Skitter with my mother, and went to work.

Now I have a sweet little 6 month old rat to bury.

I hate days like this.

Arrgh.

I was having a great day... Got a couple oif checks ion the mail, went to the bank and made my balance larger than its been in years. I got some cash back, went to Trader Joes, bought myself a sack of luxury foods I don't often get, and headed home to get ready for my Dress Rehersal...

And found my/my semi-ex's rat, Skitter, lying gasping for air, with blood crusted around her eyes and nose.

I held her, cleaned her, tried to warm her up and get her hyrated and called my sis, a former AHT major and lifetime petstore person.... and she told me that it was probably hopeless.

I left Skitter with my mother, and went to work.

Now I have a sweet little 6 month old rat to bury.

I hate days like this.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I hate losing pets. I love them all so much that the thought of losing one pains me. When Herc got out, I never thought we would get him back. I'm so glad we caught him again. I'm sorry for the loss.

McCarty ... I was in 122 McCarty for three years.

I think I was in 508 Haggett for my year in the dorms. I was also a townie at Phi SIgma Kappa, wayyyy back in 84/85.

When I tried to go back I lived up by the UCC and up at 5227 Brooklyn.

:)

I used to work at the Plaid Pantry there at 50th and Roosevelt. :idjit:

I think I was in 508 Haggett for my year in the dorms. I was also a townie at Phi SIgma Kappa, wayyyy back in 84/85.

When I tried to go back I lived up by the UCC and up at 5227 Brooklyn.

I used to work at the Plaid Pantry there at 50th and Roosevelt. :idjit:

84/85 isn't that far back ... I was a dormie all four years, '74 - '78. I never went as far northwest as 50th & Roosevelt, though my daily commute takes me past there every morning nowadays. :eek: The Herfy's at 50th & Brooklyn was the site of many an idle hour. Sadly, in the last couple of years they've knocked it down and replaced it with a Walgreen's. :thumbdown

84/85 isn't that far back ... I was a dormie all four years' date=' '74 - '78. I never went as far northwest as 50th & Roosevelt, though my daily commute takes me past there every morning nowadays. :eek: The Herfy's at 50th & Brooklyn was the site of many an idle hour. Sadly, in the last couple of years they've knocked it down and replaced it with a Walgreen's. :thumbdown[/quote']

I haven't been in the old neighborhood for a couple years.

Outsider used to live above the Fin and Feather pet shop on 45th, the one that isn't there anymore. :eek:

Thanks everyone.

Not much that can be done about it... sometimes they just die.

In this case at least it was quick... as far as we can tell she hemmoraged from a previously unknown tumor. Day before yesterday she was her usual hyper happy self, then she just checked out.

life isn't fair, and that sucks... but what are you gonna do about it?

Skitter, RIP

That is too bad about your pet. It sounds similar to what got one of our cats last month. :(

This seems to have been a bad week too...

We lost another cat to a Coyote, it looks like. :mad:

Time to get the rifle out and try to get up early enough to spot the Yellow Dog.

I like Coyotes, but that is two cats in two months, one was my favorite, the other was a sweety too.

My Dad sent me one of those disease scare articles today. He thinks OddHat and I are going to get Diabetes, if we aren't two of the eight million-odd people who have had it for years and don't know it yet.

It's not easy being the only ones in our family on my side who are overweight.

I lost 22 pounds since before Gen Con 2004, but have gained back 8. This is my fourth attempt to lose. I have 50-odd pounds to go.

I wanna be a Giant Lizard and lose 70. Then I'd be back to my tenth grade weight. But I'll settle for 50. Or even 40.

I'm afraid this will never happen. I'm afraid I'll be chubby the rest of my life. That makes me very cranky.

The pretty blonde who waited on us at Outback Steakhouse tonight had had four kids, including a set of twins, and she couldn't have been more than a size six. THAT'S NOT FAIR !!!!!!! :mad: She even takes frequent advantage of her employee discount, as her husband loves the Outback. D@MM%T ! I'm cranky !

I have always been, and still am, a VERY picky eater. I take medication that acts as speed and kills my appetite and makes swallowing difficult at times. I have NEVER been a big eater. My only vice is sweets. I've been walking through Markets, CVS and the Farmer's Market bakery section chanting my mantra under my breath: You don't need it, you don't need it. And I don't buy it.

D@MM&T ! I've been doing my best !!! SO WHY AREN'T I THIN ???!!!!??

YES ! I'm NOT a jolly fat lady. :mad::thumbdown

Today I yelled at a coworker. I normally don't yell at my coworkers, and this one is one of the nicest people in the company, so you'd think this is the last person I'd yell at. But she's been doing the schedule for a month and she still doesn't know what she's doing. She's doing a lot of things wrong, and it's messing up the rest of us. It seems I'm not the only one complaining about her performance.

As for the company itself, it has become a Mickey Mouse operation since the corporate take-over. Our upgrades are more like downgrades, and we're constantly short on supply of everything. We have to order everything from the other side of the country and often get turned down for even the most basic needs because we're "over budget." I was even told not to work too many hours because the company was over budget on labor! :mad:

I have always been, and still am, a VERY picky eater. I take medication that acts as speed and kills my appetite and makes swallowing difficult at times. I have NEVER been a big eater. My only vice is sweets. I've been walking through Markets, CVS and the Farmer's Market bakery section chanting my mantra under my breath: You don't need it, you don't need it. And I don't buy it.

D@MM&T ! I've been doing my best !!! SO WHY AREN'T I THIN ???!!!!??

In my experience, diet ranks a distant second to exercise when it comes to losing weight. Don't get me wrong, you can't get away with eating pizza three meals a day while exercising and still expect to lose weight--but neither can I expect to lose much weight if I eat only broccoli for months on end if all I do is sit on the couch. What's been most effective for me is combining running, (heavy) weightlifting, and cutting back on fast food, pizza, and dessert.

Now what really inspires crankiness is if you're one of the people who reached what I call the catch-22 point--being too heavy to be able to exercise easily. Once you reach a certain weight, you can't run or jump rope effectively, which means that now exercise isn't just going to be unpleasant, it's going to be expensive--because now you may have to buy a bike, or a gym membership, to have access to non-joint-destroying means of effective exercise. (If you're really lucky you live someplace like Wisconsin where outdoor exercise is like unto suicide for six months out of the year.) I read articles here and there that describe how walking and leg lifts can improve your health; surely they are better than nothing, but for me to lose weight I need to really sweat three or four times a week.