The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I've hit 40 and feel like a complete failure.

Then there is the project we are working on where the goalposts keep moving.

And is it really too much trouble that if I have an interest in something or someone that the website does not suddenly go out of commission ?

Sheesh !

Hey at least you hit 40 before the whole failure thing! :straight:

Keep at it my fiery eyed friend!

This website isn't going anywhere! (is it? :angst:)

Is there a computer language anywhere that, out of the box, allows easy reading of string representations of dates and times? And also arithmetic operations involving those correctly?

Grr. I'm tired of reinventing this wheel every time.

PHP and MySQL are reasonably good at handling dates and times, but each in their own way--there's some friction when using both, as the default formats are different for each.

Doesn't help you much, I know.

I vaguely remember Fortran as handling dates relatively well, but I'm old and have memory corruption. I'd recommend scouring the web for library or cookbook date/time functions that you can drop in. You're not the only one who keeps rewriting that wheel.

I vaguely remember Fortran as handling dates relatively well' date=' but I'm old and have memory corruption. I'd recommend scouring the web for library or cookbook date/time functions that you can drop in. You're not the only one who keeps rewriting that wheel.[/quote']

I did it in C++ once (and fought a massive battle against the MFC CTime class doing it ... man, what garbage), and I'm just about finished with it in Python. Yeesh. You'd think no one had ever had to read a text date/time string from two different places, and compute a time interval between those in a coherent way. Happily, I am already conversant with the relevant definitions and conventions so I know what I'm doing, which is more than half the battle.

Is there a computer language anywhere that, out of the box, allows easy reading of string representations of dates and times? And also arithmetic operations involving those correctly?

Grr. I'm tired of reinventing this wheel every time.

Java ;)

SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("MM/dd/yyyy");

Date d1 = formatter.parse("12/01/2001");

Date d2 = formatter.parse("12/25/2005");

Does it parse times and differences as well? E.g.,

d2 = "11/20/2005 13:34",

d1 = "11/15/2005 09:24",

d2 - d1 = 5.17361 (or a tuple that is the equivalent of 5 days 4 hours 10 minutes)?

Sure...

long milliseconds = d2.getTime() - d1.getTime();

double seconds = milliseconds/1000d;

double minutes = seconds/60d;

double hours = minutes/60d;

double days = hours/24d;

double weeks = days/7d;

...and so on...

Whatever units you need...

Okay, I wasn't going to say anything, but I really need to blow off some steam.

On Saturday, Nov. 19, I tested for 2nd Dan. My classmates and I busted our asses from 11 am to 5 pm, often doing things twice because we were joined by other schools and instructors in the afternoon session. My instructor says we all did a great job, and we all passed. The other instructors congratulated us on a job well done.

Sounds great, except...

The Grand Master of our school had forgotten about the test and didn't show up. He's very apologetic about the whole thing. But he won't refund our money and wants us to go through it all over again under his supervision. And he'd have the final say on whether or not we pass.

Edit: I really shouldn't have said all this, but I am physically and mentally tired, and quite frustrated to boot.

On Saturday, Nov. 19, I tested for 2nd Dan. My classmates and I busted our asses from 11 am to 5 pm, often doing things twice because we were joined by other schools and instructors in the afternoon session. My instructor says we all did a great job, and we all passed. The other instructors congratulated us on a job well done.

Sounds great, except...

The Grand Master of our school had forgotten about the test and didn't show up. He's very apologetic about the whole thing. But he won't refund our money and wants us to go through it all over again under his supervision. And he'd have the final say on whether or not we pass.

Edit: I really shouldn't have said all this, but I am physically and mentally tired, and quite frustrated to boot.

Consider it practice or a test run., a chance to finally hone your skills for the big day.

Sounds great, except...

Is he going to charge you again?

If not, that still really sucks. It would've been nice if he had made it clear that no one could pass unless he had supervised the test ahead of time.

If he is planning on charging you to re-do a test that was invalid because he didn't show up, I would personally seriously consider moving to another dojo if there is one that you would trust around.

Anyway, just my knee-jerk reaction to a situation that I obviously don't know all the details of. :D

No' date=' he won't charge us again. But considering he was supposed to be there and wasn't, it would have been nice to pass us anyway, meeting up with us just to correct and clean up our technique. Now we have to do this all over again, except for the fitness test.[/quote']

Agreed. Much bummerness...