The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I got home from work tonight tired and still feeling worn out from working Black Friday and aside from going to bed the only other thing I want to do is watch this week's episodes of Naruto and IGPX (for those unfamiliar with IGPX, it's an anime made for specifically for Toonami. Think NASCAR with giant robots) which I had my VCR set up to record while I was at work. However I discover that my sister came into my room and basically F---ed up the whole thing so she could could watch f---ing Sixteen Candles!!! We have two other TVs with VCRs and she had to come into my room to watch a G-- D----ed f---ing teen angst movie!!!!!!!

I just needed to get that out. The past two days have been exhausting and those two shows where the only things I had to look forward to to help me relax.

That sucks, Spectrum! Tell her your room is off limits from now on.

As for the Nov. 19 test, this is how it went down.

We arrived at the school at 10:30 to warm up, then we began the test at 11:00. Here's what we did:

First we started with the physical fitness part of the test:

15 minutes jump rope -- I stumbled twice as much as anyone else, but I got through it.

100 push ups/2 minutes -- I made it in about 1:45.

100 leg raises/2 minutes -- I just made it.

100 roundhouse kicks/2 minutes -- I made it in 1:20, and I was pacing myself.

5 minutes joochoomsughi (horseback-riding stance) -- I got through it. http://www.hrksf.com/gallery/testnov2005/source/l1040407.html

Then we went to the actual tkd stuff:

Poomse (forms) -- I had hoped to do a little better; I rushed a little, and my back stance was bad.

This was the hardest part:

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/Tkskill/pomsae.asp?div=3&pomsae=210&serial=386

Here's the entire form:

http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/tkskill/pomsae.asp?div=3&pomsae=210

Meaning of Poomse (all) -- I did fairly well here.

One-step sparring (made-up) -- My instructor thought my technique could have been more refined, but he passed me anyway.

Olympic sparring: one on one (two-minute round, twice), one on two (one-minute round) -- Not too bad.

In the afternoon, we were joined by other schools. We had to do the poomse and one-step sparring again, plus:

Floor exercises -- These actually warmed me up again.

Freestyle sparring -- I sparred about 5 times, but it was no contact, so it was more about technique.

Board-breaking techniques: jump spin kinck & punch -- I nailed them, even if I broke a little skin on my foot during the kick.

The test ended at about 5:00, then we went to dinner.

Edit (to avoid confusion): This took place on November 19. We have yet to test with the Grand Master.

Thanks. Fortunetly Cartoon Network re-airs the previous episode of Naruto on Friday nights so I can getr caught up that way. Saddly IGPX isn't so I guess I'll have to wait for the repeat.

tkdguy, congrats on the test. I took Tae Kwon Do years ago when I was a kid and the belt tests weren't nearly anything like that. Of course it would be some years latter I could come to realize that it was a belt factory. They taught techniques and not much else. (i.e. they never explained the difference between a normal block and a knife hand block)

TDKGuy' date=' Congrats on the test, you passed right?[/quote']

Our head instructor passed us. The Grand Master was unable to attend, so we will in all likelihood have to go through a lot of it again. Fortunately, I doubt we'll have to do the physical fitness part of it (that's my head instructor's requirement, not the Grand Master's), so it should be less exhausting.

Bah! Speak to me not of your lousy movie opinions!

I need to smack my little brother in the head to see if his taste in movies improves. Well, if it just adjusts his attitude about people liking movies, that'd suit me fine too.

We were all home for Thanksgiving dinner and afterwards there was some random discussions as those of us there caught up with each other's lives.

Mine's simple, I work overnight, stay up too late in the mornings and then sleep til two hours before work starts again. Repeat all week, every week. On the side I do some gaming on the weekends, read and watch movies.

Anyway, we were talking movies and Eric was insisting I'd like Napoleon Dynamite. Said if you were patient there were some really funny bits in it. My response was "If I'm gonna watch a comedy I want to laugh more than twice."

Eric: "Geeze, Pat, you really need to give this stuff a chance."

Me: "No. If I'm not being entertained I'm not going to bother watching it."

Eric: "well, you should be more open-minded about these things. Napoleon Dynamite is this independant film that got a lucky break. You should support that kind of thing. We need more independant films."

Me: "NO! we need more good films. Just because it's an indy doesn't make it good OR bad. That has more to do with talent than funding."

Eric: "Well, I still think you're being too close-minded."

Me: "So what. I don't watch comedy to broaden my mind."

Anyway, despite not being around him for years the little weasel can get under my skin like few others. Lousy art-school punk.

Geeze, the last time I listened to someone other than my own instincts about movies I wasted 4 bucks after Agent X's wife said Anchorman was funny. It had maybe 15 minutes of funny. Pity it was an hour and a half long. Man, I freakin' hate Will Farrell.

Re: Bah! Speak to me not of your lousy movie opinions!

I need to smack my little brother in the head to see if his taste in movies improves. Well, if it just adjusts his attitude about people liking movies, that'd suit me fine too.

We were all home for Thanksgiving dinner and afterwards there was some random discussions as those of us there caught up with each other's lives.

Mine's simple, I work overnight, stay up too late in the mornings and then sleep til two hours before work starts again. Repeat all week, every week. On the side I do some gaming on the weekends, read and watch movies.

Anyway, we were talking movies and Eric was insisting I'd like Napoleon Dynamite. Said if you were patient there were some really funny bits in it. My response was "If I'm gonna watch a comedy I want to laugh more than twice."

Eric: "Geeze, Pat, you really need to give this stuff a chance."

Me: "No. If I'm not being entertained I'm not going to bother watching it."

Eric: "well, you should be more open-minded about these things. Napoleon Dynamite is this independant film that got a lucky break. You should support that kind of thing. We need more independant films."

Me: "NO! we need more good films. Just because it's an indy doesn't make it good OR bad. That has more to do with talent than funding."

Eric: "Well, I still think you're being too close-minded."

Me: "So what. I don't watch comedy to broaden my mind."

Anyway, despite not being around him for years the little weasel can get under my skin like few others. Lousy art-school punk.

Geeze, the last time I listened to someone other than my own instincts about movies I wasted 4 bucks after Agent X's wife said Anchorman was funny. It had maybe 15 minutes of funny. Pity it was an hour and a half long. Man, I freakin' hate Will Farrell.

I been managing to avoid ALL of Farrell's movies, I never liked him.

I am not really a "comedy" fan, a lot of them leave me cold or uncomfortable.

Our head instructor passed us. The Grand Master was unable to attend' date=' so we will in all likelihood have to go through a lot of it again. Fortunately, I doubt we'll have to do the physical fitness part of it (that's my head instructor's requirement, not the Grand Master's), so it should be less exhausting.[/quote']

Congrats on the pass (or half-pass, anyway) tkdguy. I've had cakewalk belt tests and nightmare belt tests, and yours was no cakewalk, so you should be pleased with your performance. But of course, you should never be satisfied with it. ;)

There are a lot of things I need to work on. The good thing about the retest (if and when it happens) is that I have time to do it right.

But thanks for the congratulations. I just finished the essay to complete the requirement and emailed it to my sister for proofreading. Hey, she offered.

Re: Bah! Speak to me not of your lousy movie opinions!

I been managing to avoid ALL of Farrell's movies, I never liked him.

I am not really a "comedy" fan, a lot of them leave me cold or uncomfortable.

I know better now. Pity, though. I like comedies. I like the Marx Brothers and I like dark comedy like Death Becomes Her & Heathers and I like brit-coms, though not all of them. However, I need to listen to the little voice in my head that whispers the plots of movies to me. He's usually right more often than other people. At least I have a useful voice in my head.