The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

There are few legitimate reasons for ever doing any program in COBOL.

Unfortunately supporting existing code is one of those reasons.

My understanding is that the new, updated version we're getting ready to release isn't written in Cobol. Fortunately, I'm not a programmer, so I don't have to deal with it. :D

Damn' date=' that sucks, sorry.[/quote']

Consider it practice or a test run.' date=' a chance to finally hone your skills for the big day.[/quote']

Is he going to charge you again?

If not, that still really sucks. It would've been nice if he had made it clear that no one could pass unless he had supervised the test ahead of time.

If he is planning on charging you to re-do a test that was invalid because he didn't show up, I would personally seriously consider moving to another dojo if there is one that you would trust around.

Anyway, just my knee-jerk reaction to a situation that I obviously don't know all the details of. :D

Thanks for the support guys. I was wrong to air out my dirty laundry, since it is disrespectful to the Grand Master. I regret my lack of judgement. But I do appreciate your well wishes.

Thanks for the support guys. I was wrong to air out my dirty laundry' date=' since it is disrespectful to the Grand Master. I regret my lack of judgement. But I do appreciate your well wishes.[/quote']

Well, it's not like you're airing something in a manner which really comes back, I wouldn't feel badly given that.

Thanks for the support guys. I was wrong to air out my dirty laundry' date=' since it is disrespectful to the Grand Master. I regret my lack of judgement. But I do appreciate your well wishes.[/quote']

He didn't show a heck of a lot of respect for you, your classmates, or all your hard work, either, so I'd call it a wash.

No, he didn't. However, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm not defending tkdguy's master, but old school martial arts instructors don't see students as customers or colleagues. Instead, they see them as having the incredible privilege and honor of being allowed to learn whatever hints of technique the master reveals to them. As such the master views the students almost with contempt.

I've learned under both types of instructors and while the more modern, customer-oriented type is much easier to deal with, the old school teaching method has its advantages.

No, he didn't. However, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm not defending tkdguy's master, but old school martial arts instructors don't see students as customers or colleagues. Instead, they see them as having the incredible privilege and honor of being allowed to learn whatever hints of technique the master reveals to them. As such the master views the students almost with contempt.

I've learned under both types of instructors and while the more modern, customer-oriented type is much easier to deal with, the old school teaching method has its advantages.

Ummm...that's not entirely accurate.

I've worked with a lot of the "old guard" masters -- Ming Lum, Wally Jay, Ji Han Jae, In Sun Seo, Mike Young...to name a few -- while there are certainly some that behave in the way you describe, the majority of them had more respect for their art than that. Yes, they would beat on your both physically and mentally (the good ones still do ;)), but there was always respect involved. Both ways. Very much like a father-son relationship...albeit a very, very strict father.

They lead by example. If they say they will be somewhere, they are there. No excuses.

We have a fairly odd mix of old and new in our school -- both masters were brought up very much in the old school (they've been studying about 40 years apiece) and their teaching styles reflect that. But they also view each of us (especially those of us that have been with them a while) as friends. We hang out, go drinking after class, etc. Our TKD master is an extremely old-school Korean stylist. If you go to the kukkiwon in Korea, hiis picture will be one of the few sets of blue eyes on the wall. He trains very hard (even with cancer, freshly-rebuilt shoulders, and any number of other issues) and expects us to follow.

There is never any disrespect involved. Part of the training is supposed to be making you strong enough to avoid that kind of thing.

Ummm...that's not entirely accurate.

I've worked with a lot of the "old guard" masters -- Ming Lum, Wally Jay, Ji Han Jae, In Sun Seo, Mike Young...to name a few -- while there are certainly some that behave in the way you describe, the majority of them had more respect for their art than that. Yes, they would beat on your both physically and mentally (the good ones still do ;)), but there was always respect involved. Both ways. Very much like a father-son relationship...albeit a very, very strict father.

They lead by example. If they say they will be somewhere, they are there. No excuses.

We have a fairly odd mix of old and new in our school -- both masters were brought up very much in the old school (they've been studying about 40 years apiece) and their teaching styles reflect that. But they also view each of us (especially those of us that have been with them a while) as friends. We hang out, go drinking after class, etc. Our TKD master is an extremely old-school Korean stylist. If you go to the kukkiwon in Korea, hiis picture will be one of the few sets of blue eyes on the wall. He trains very hard (even with cancer, freshly-rebuilt shoulders, and any number of other issues) and expects us to follow.

There is never any disrespect involved. Part of the training is supposed to be making you strong enough to avoid that kind of thing.

You forget how old Old Man is - he's referring to the masters of a 1000 years ago when he says "old school"! :eek:

To be fair to the Grand Master, he actually does like and respect me. He's even asked me to work for him a couple of times, although I declined because of confliting responsibilities. Of course, he didn't take it personally. He still invites me to come over to Redwood City to train with him. I just need to get some free time to do so.

I don't rightly know. He can be vey forgetful at times, and he hasn't been in very good health lately. He also held his own test late in October. My class had been planning for November, and we weren't ready for his exam.

Having said that, I pretty sure this wasn't a "revenge" thing. He can be touchy at times, but he's never malicious.

NP. It happens. I won't tell if you don't. ;)
Agreed. Now if TDKGuy gave us the GrandMaster's e-mil address we could personlly reply. since tht is unlikely to happen, we can't very well get TDKGuy in trouble by blabbing.

(and beside TDKGuy is a mod of NGD.com :fear: ... one has to respect mods.)