Shamrock- Scorpia... Ever Connect These Two?

Magmarock

Both are super powered villains.

Both are Irish.

Both are IRA Terrorists.

Both have Secret IDs.

GMs, have you ever connected these two villains in your games?

Are they comrades, foes, lovers, rivals?

Do they get along or ignore each other?

Details please! I am rebuilding Shamrock for my 5th Ed campaign (actually, just building up from what he was in 4th and making him a more rounded character). I am looking for insight on how these two people will react to each other.

Thanks,

Mags

Re: Shamrock- Scorpia... Ever Connect These Two?

Bear in mind the British Government would try to eliminate with extreme prejudice any IRA supervillain.

If as both Scorpia and Shamrock did fled and became just ordinary crooks, that's one thing. Fighting for the cause is another.

Neither came across the other and Scorpia was a mainstay in Terror Inc for us

I haven't. But if I did, I picture a kind of Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy relationship.

But then I've started to pick up the Batman: Harley & Ivy comic by Bruce Timm, which is pretty funny, so I'm in that vein right now.

Well....despite their obvious similiarities.....look at their differences. Scorpia doesn't exactly make friends you know. Even if she did, who would want to hang around with a psychotic high maintainence woman like her? She'd slit your throat on a whim. Yes, I know Shamrock would probably be immune to her powers, but that's not the point. The two are just not even remotely alike in terms of personality.

Rob

If the two had any sort of relationship, I suspect it would be one of suspicion or even hatred. When last we heard of Shamrock (in Classic Enemies) he was still an active supporter of "the cause." Scorpia in CKC is explicitly described as using it as an excuse to exercise her bloodlust, and jumped ship when a better situation presented itself. Shamrock might well consider her a traitor.

In my old Champs campaign I did have Shamrock connected with Scorpia and Terror Inc. and for the most part, this didn't sit too well with the IRA, seeing themselves as freedom fighters who really didn't want to be connected with a group known as "Terror Inc."

SR was also connected to the Federation Of Atlantia [from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement], a fictitious country ruled by the well-meaning son of a former master super-villain.

Again, many in the IRA were not happy with Shamrock's other connections as they felt it gave the wrong message and that he was turning into too much of a "celebrity" (not dissimilar to perhaps how the mafia felt about John Gotti and how the PLO occasionally feels about Yasir Arafat), all of these notions were fostered behind the scenes by Leprechan (from International Enemies).

Scorpia is a psychopath.

Shamrock, whether or not you agree with his cause, was essentially a freedom fighter, who went underground for his own safety. On the other hand, he also became a common criminal, that is, a renegade.

Your choices with Shamrock basically stem from whether or not he is still associated with the Cause. If he is, he won't touch Scorpia with a stick (unless it adds to his Strength damage). If he isn't, he may or may not.

In my CU, he is an occasional associate of Assault, who has allies on both sides of the law. Neither are exactly friends with Scorpia.

Just thinking about things, though... If you want to go with the current CU, it's conceivable that Shamrock might begin to associate with Eurostar. They don't have _quite_ the same image problem Terror, Inc. had. Of course, we also don't know exactly what bees Fiacho has in his bonnet.

My thinking was this: They are both near the same age and they both grew up in Belfast, not to mention the other similarities I listed in the first post. Now I realize that Belfast is a big place and people can go their whole lives living one block away from each other in a city and never meet, but these are just too many coincidences for me to ignore, at least in my campaign.

Also, I don't believe that Scorpia was always so bloodthirsty. Something must have happened in her life for her to become as twisted as she is. I think that, over time her behavior escalated and she will continue to get meaner. It's a working theory at best. In the game I'm running now, Scorpia was captured (she's at The Guardhouse, north of Scotland, waiting for her trial) and the next time the group ran into Fiacho, they were surrpised to see Shamrock with him (mainly because no one knew I rebuilt him for 5th). It was an interesting encounter. :D

Mags

My thinking was this: They are both near the same age and they both grew up in Belfast, not to mention the other similarities I listed in the first post. Now I realize that Belfast is a big place and people can go their whole lives living one block away from each other in a city and never meet, but these are just too many coincidences for me to ignore, at least in my campaign.

Also, I don't believe that Scorpia was always so bloodthirsty. Something must have happened in her life for her to become as twisted as she is. I think that, over time her behavior escalated and she will continue to get meaner.

You are correct that they are likely to know each other, whatever their current relationship.

It seems fair enough that Scorpia went off the rails in stages. There is plenty of trauma around in that kind of conflict. And escalation of her behaviour seems like enough.

Sooner or later she is likely to wind up dead.

Now, here's a thought: how old are they? Remember, the IRA has been on ceasefire for about a decade now. Scorpia and Shamrock can't be under thirty. Thirty-five or so seems more likely.

They've been on the run a looong time.

Presumably they couldn't go for an amnesty even if they wanted one. Both would have lots of non-political warrants out for them that wouldn't go away when their political ones did. That suggests that Shamrock will probably eventually have to find a nice safe bolthole to retire in, like the Federation of Atlantia in the Strike Force campaign. I've already mentioned what I think will happen to Scorpia.

Actually in my old campaign the two hooked up briefly and violently as Scorpia used Shamrock in an attempted coup of Terror Inc (long before Steve & Co were in charge @ HERO - of course in my version it was Scorpia, Shamrock, Laser and Mechassassin v. Muerte, Gigante & Feur and the PCs leader had been kidnapped by Sorpia as the only man to have bested Muerte). The resulting brief union left Scorpia in stir and with child. That child is a hero named Dominator in current game run by another GM in our group.

I had Shamrock and Scorpia as former lovers...thet broke up for one of the innumrable reasons people break up. As for what made Scorps bonkers...many moons ago she was forced to off her one true love to protect the cause (she was given no choice in this) after that nothing seemed too far.........

As for what made Scorps bonkers...many moons ago she was forced to off her one true love to protect the cause (she was given no choice in this) after that nothing seemed too far.........

Yes... I've already alluded to a similar background event in my current campaign. So far, no one has picked up on it.

However, since Scorpia is in custody, two of the heroes- Dominis & Union Jack- have ran the old "Good Cop/Bad Cop" with her during an interrogation. I can't say more just yet, since they all come here to read the threads, but there are some interesting developments from it.

Mags

Heh...I remember a cool movie that had the actress who played the main squeze in "The unbearable lightness of being" played a crazed russian gangster who buried her boss alive and cut off her own arm to fake her death....I have her image stuck in my head ...but with a irish accent......I wish I could remember the name of the movie so I could rent it some time....

In the old CU sourcebook (1992), it says that "Shamrock has been romantically involved with Scorpia over the last few months. After troubles with the IRA, caused by his nemesis, Leprachaun, the ex-terrorist has begun spending more time with Scorpia and her team."

This was when Scorpia was still a member of Terror Inc. and the Asesinos were regular guests on Muerte's island.

In the new CU, I would say it's anybody's guess. IMHO, Shamrock would at least know her personally. I could also imagine that he could become a member of Eurostar (as if these guys would need another powerful member...). He's got nowhere to run, nothing to loose - desperation can do horrible things to a man, even a happy-go-lucky-guy like the big green one.