SF Novels for Star Hero?

Nyrath

I was mulling over various SF novels that would be good inspiration for Star Hero campaigns. Perhaps you can think of others.

Many of these are out of print, but copies can be found at http://www.bookfinder.com

:saturn:The Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis. A Star-Wars-esque type space opera, but with sinister overtones. Example: there are laser beam swords. "Ah! Light Sabers!" But with a sinister overtone. The swords have needles in the hilts that are inserted into your palm. It seems that the swords are powered with human blood. Ick. And not just anybody's blood either, if you are not of the royal blood-line the sword will induce an incurable cancer.

:saturn:The Helmsman series by Bill Baldwin. A flashy space opera set in a thinly disguised re-telling of World War II, Battle of Britain and everything. Our hero is a hot-shot combat starship helmsman, but he regularly does covert missions on occupied planets, test flies experimenta Q-ships, and has a secret romance with the King's niece. Very cinematic.

:saturn:The Corridors of Time by Poul Anderson. A time travel novel. In the far future, two cultures are locked in combat: a matriarchal nature-oriented warrior cult and a patriarchal mechanistic military culture. They are engaged in a time war. Most major historical events back to cave man times are the results of these future cultures meddling with history in an attempt to destroy the other culture. Nifty gadgets include a "diaglossa", a sort of universal translator that fits in your ear, and an energy pistol with a built in force field.

:saturn:The Fires of Paratime by L E Modesitt, Jr (recently reprinted in an ominbus Timegods' World). Another sort of time travel universe. The inhabitants of the planet Query can travel through time and space with the power of their mind. So like all good parasites they live high off the hog by swiping high tech goodies from various cultures through the galaxy and through history. The main character is a young time diver named "Loki", the current head of the time divers is named "Odin-Thor". Gee, where have I heard those names before? This novel starts slow, but past halfway, you'll find it so exciting that you cannot put it down.

:saturn:the Retief novels by Keith Laumer. Retief is a junior operative for the Terrain Diplomatic Corps, but he has the skills of James Bond and a certain flair for action. His stories are often funny, but full of scenario ideas.

:saturn:the Dominic Flandry novels of Poul Anderson. Sir Dominic Flandry is an operative of the decadent Terran Empire, trying his best to enjoy the good things in life while attempting to ensure that the inevitable fall of the Empire and the Long Night of babarism happens after his lifetime. Lots of futuristic James Bond style action.

Any other novels?

Re: SF Novels for Star Hero?

Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (reprinted in The Complete Paratime) by H Beam Piper. Time travel by the master. Kalvan is accidentally dropped into another timeline by the interaction of another line's time machines. The other stories in Paratime are related to the use of the time machines by the other timeline.

The Mote in God's Eye, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Cool universe, with an interesting alien race that is guaranteed to be a competitor with humans.

Little Fuzzy and other Fuzzy novels, by H Beam Piper. A universe much like Traveller, with contragrav and and gunpowder. Other novels that interlink with Piper's Future History include Four Day Planet, Space Viking, and Lone Star Planet.

The Mote in God's Eye' date=' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Cool universe, with an interesting alien race that is guaranteed to be a competitor with humans.[/quote']

This is one of my all time favorites. There is a companion book that takes place at the same time called King David's Spaceship, by Jerry Pournelle alone. It gives another perspective on the politics of this uninverse.

Interrestingly, this story is the closest since the old Animated series that Niven has or probably will ever get again to writing a Star Trek type story. The crew of the MacArthur really reminded me of the old classic Trek crew.

:saturn:Space Viking by H. Beam Piper. After the collapse of the Terran Federation, worlds that still have starship levels of technology found that it was easier to send Space Viking ships to raid less fortunate worlds than manufacture goods for themselves. Of course this tended to ruin the economies of the Space Viking planets but in the short run it was lucrative.

:saturn:Space Viking by H. Beam Piper. After the collapse of the Terran Federation' date=' worlds that still have starship levels of technology found that it was easier to send Space Viking ships to raid less fortunate worlds than manufacture goods for themselves. Of course this tended to ruin the economies of the Space Viking planets but in the short run it was lucrative.[/quote']

I think this universe (maybe another one by H. Beam Piper?!?) was the basis of the universe that Mote in God's Eye is set in since Jerry Pournelle was given the rights to one of Piper's universes's and I know that it was used as the foundation canvas that Pournelle and Niven then painted their stories on top of.

I think this universe (maybe another one by H. Beam Piper?!?) was the basis of the universe that Mote in God's Eye is set in since Jerry Pournelle was given the rights to one of Piper's universes's and I know that it was used as the foundation canvas that Pournelle and Niven then painted their stories on top of.

Well, the other one you are thinking about is THE COSMIC COMPUTER aka JUNKYARD PLANET.

Yes, Jerry Pournelle was given the rights to Piper's works.

No, MOTE and the rest is not based on Piper. Pournelle wants to do some novels in Piper's universe, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

MOTE has starships moving by a type of "jump" drive while Piper has ships taking prolonged periods of flight through hyperspace. MOTE has ships defended by the Langston force-field, Piper's ship have no force fields, just collapsium armor plate. MOTE has starships armed with laser cannon in addition to nuclear warheads while Piper's ships have no energy weapons at all. The culture in MOTE has a strong Roman Catholic presence, where it is conspicuous in Piper by its absence.

the 5th Foreign Legion series by Andy Keith

the Warstrider series by William H Keith

the Starfist series by Sherman and Cragg

any of the Battletech books, especially the Mike Stackpole ones

I wont talk about the Spaceways series, which would probably only work for reference if your running a Flesh Gordon RPG...

for pulpish stuff, theres also the Perry Rhodan books, theres over a hundred of those, just counting the ones that were translated over here.

Lt Leary Commanding, and with the Lightnings

Hammers Slammers

for alternate history/sf sorta, I highly recommend 1632 and its sequels

Santiago wasn't too bad. The author of Santiago recently released the sequel...The Return of Santiago. I haven't read that one yet...I'm still too busy reading my tome..."The Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1-?"

If you drop the Starfleet aspect from "The Best and Brightest" and the "S.C.E." series, you might have something worthwhile as well.

Well, the other one you are thinking about is THE COSMIC COMPUTER aka JUNKYARD PLANET.

Yes, Jerry Pournelle was given the rights to Piper's works.

No, MOTE and the rest is not based on Piper. Pournelle wants to do some novels in Piper's universe, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

MOTE has starships moving by a type of "jump" drive while Piper has ships taking prolonged periods of flight through hyperspace. MOTE has ships defended by the Langston force-field, Piper's ship have no force fields, just collapsium armor plate. MOTE has starships armed with laser cannon in addition to nuclear warheads while Piper's ships have no energy weapons at all. The culture in MOTE has a strong Roman Catholic presence, where it is conspicuous in Piper by its absence.

I stand corrected. thanks for the info! :o

:saturn:Shadowline by Glen Cook. The great interstellar mercenary-princes have their agents watching battles on scores of worlds. If any soldier showing uncommon bravery is killed in battle, the Valkyri units swoop down and retrieve the body. The Mercenary House's advanced medical technology can bring the dead back to life. The revived soldier gratefully joins the Mercenary House and is unusually loyal thereafter. The novel chronicles the sudden downfall of the Houses. The entire novel is a veiled re-telling of Wagner's Gotterdammerung, which tells the story of Raganarok, the end of the universe in Norse Mythology.

The Humanx Commonwealth novels by Alan Dean Foster. I've used this as a setting for several Star Hero campaigns over the years.

John D

I've read the Humanx Commonwealth books myself and I agree that they're wonderful. They're so wonderful that GURPS has a book out on them.

I'd also like to suggest E.E. Doc Smith's Skylark of Space series.

The Vor novels by Lois Bujold. She's actually set up a very interesting universe' date=' one that could easily be used as a setting for a Star HERO campaign.[/quote']

REALLY great series! But it would be hard for me to run or play in. Her universe is so vivid in my mind I would be constantly having to prevent myself from "correcting" the other players when they did something "wrong". ;)

I second the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. Some of the best science fiction I've ever read.

The prequel books to Mote in God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle (Mercenary, West of Honor, Go Tell The Spartans, and Prince of Sparta) are also very good, if you want military fiction.

The War World series, set in the same universe, is a collection of short stories and novels by various authors (including Harry Turtledove). Also a seriously good read.

The David Drake series mentioned above now has a third book out (The Far Side of the Stars, IIRC). This series just keeps getting better.

E.E. Doc Smith's Subspace Explorers series (2 books) is also good, though hard to find.

The Voices series by David Feintuch is quite good. An interesting universe, with a lot of homage to C.S. Forrester and the Napoleonic era.

How about the Uplift stories by David Brin (multiple galaxy government with talking chimps and dolphins and near unlimited alien races) or the Known Space stories by Larry Niven (for a much smaller community of stars)? The Myth books by Robert Asprin are a great choice if you want a Fantasy/Sci Fi/Comedy series (although it tends much more towards fantasy). Obviously, there is always the Star Wars and Star Trek novels, movies, games, etc...

Brett

I'm suprised no one's mention the Enderverse by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Ender's Shadow

And there are some other's I'm forgetting...

I believe the third book was Children of the Mind. I enjoyed Ender's Game, made it through Speaker for the Dead and stopped reading the series at that point.

Alan Dean Foster wrote some pretty good SF novels, will look up some titles when I get home.