Galactic Champions

Blue

Re: Galactic Champions

Ah' date=' so they bumped up the standard level hero point total to 700?? Hmm, the Champions 3000 might be a closer match to the New Sentinels than I suspected. . .[/quote']

Well, GC is meant to allow for "cosmic" action, and 700 points is the suggestion in FREd and the Champions line for "cosmically-powerful superheroes."

Some of the future Champions are certainly among the mightiest NPC heroes to ever appear in published Champions books. The only ones I can think of who might surpass them would be Vincent Dimitrios from Mystic Masters, and Nuada of the Silver Hand from Kingdom of Champions.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, GC is meant to allow for "cosmic" action, and 700 points is the suggestion in FREd and the Champions line for "cosmically-powerful superheroes."

Some of the future Champions are certainly among the mightiest NPC heroes to ever appear in published Champions books. The only ones I can think of who might surpass them would be Vincent Dimitrios from Mystic Masters, and Nuada of the Silver Hand from Kingdom of Champions.

I was hoping for at least one "sky's the limit" iconic NPC hero with a cape and random consonant on their chest by now...

oh, and 4th ed. Harbinger o' Justice was 975 points...

Viperia(either version) could probably be adapted to represent a hypercompetent solo hero, too.

Mind Titan from the 4th edition Champions Universe was pretty tough if I remember correctly.

Rob

There's a new holder of the title and power of Firewing, with a somewhat different goal.

OTOH the Slug has survived into the far future, but he's pumped up over the past thousand years.

Great! One of my favorite 'bits' in the Hero Universe backstory is the endless war between the arrogant, militaristic Malvans and the Lovecraftian Elder Worm.

And -- a meaner, nastier Mechanon? 250 point VPP? You can't accuse GC of taking it too easy on the poor heroes. (Then again, the caliber of a hero is told by the level of the opposition...)

I was hoping for at least one "sky's the limit" iconic NPC hero with a cape and random consonant on their chest by now...

oh, and 4th ed. Harbinger o' Justice was 975 points...

Viperia(either version) could probably be adapted to represent a hypercompetent solo hero, too.

Check out Reality Storm for a 905 pt. iconic NPC hero with a cape. Hope you don't mind an eagle on his chest instead of a consonant. ;)

Harbinger's max Damage Class was less than most of these new heroes. It's his vast array of Skills and Skill Levels that really piled on the points.

Mind Titan was pretty tough, but not quite in this class.

In one of my past campaigns I made Viperia (4E version) the twin sister of Captain Australia (from HERO System Almanac I), so they shared most of the same powers.

Check out Reality Storm for a 905 pt. iconic NPC hero with a cape. Hope you don't mind an eagle on his chest instead of a consonant. ;)

Harbinger's max Damage Class was less than most of these new heroes. It's his vast array of Skills and Skill Levels that really piled on the points.

Mind Titan was pretty tough, but not quite in this class.

In one of my past campaigns I made Viperia (4E version) the twin sister of Captain Australia (from HERO System Almanac I), so they shared most of the same powers.

Hmmm....I remember Mind Titan having a 10d6 EGO Attack and Duplication, which is plenty tough to me, but to each their own. I want to get Reality Storm, but money is tight....so it was either Galactic Champions or RS....and I don't think I made the wrong choice. I'm pleased with the product....though I'll probably just adapt the characters to use in my modern day campaign. I've never seen the Hero System Almanac...so I've no clue as to its contents.

Rob

Yep. Though I don't see how he gets much done in the Assembly with all the posting to message boards...

High SPD, baby, high SPD...

:D

No, still haven't picked it up just yet, I went to the store inbetween them getting TUB (which I got) and this one not being out yet. Will pick it up this weekend.

Going by their descriptions, Hyperion and Albion should be in that range or higher, too.

Look on page 30.

The Prime Minister of the General Coucil Assembly is a Mon'dabi named.....

ZORNWILL

I'll bet he's just waiting for his chance to become Emperor, because he's secretly

Lord of the SSSSSith

(Okay, even I found that painful.) :o

One element I'll definitely be adapting to my modern day (mostly-) CU campaign is the GC version of the Star*Guard. At this level of power they're much closer to the Green Lantern Corps than the version presented in Digital Hero, which is just what I'm looking for. :)

One element I'll definitely be adapting to my modern day (mostly-) CU campaign is the GC version of the Star*Guard. At this level of power they're much closer to the Green Lantern Corps than the version presented in Digital Hero' date=' which is just what I'm looking for. :)[/quote']

Gotta agree there. It would require almost no retconning, too.

Another note of interest: aside from the experienced Champions roster ( which, going by descriptions, sounded to be at least in the 700 point range, probably a good deal bigger on skills and such at least ), there seem to be other indicators that yes, powerful heroes exist. Notably, Bulletproof ( who was apparently about that powerful even back in the 1940s ), and King Marus ( enough magical might to dimensionally shift an entire city when the mana levels are already plummeting ).

Okay, been reading more. Like what I see. Wish Galactic Federation were getting a book sometime soon.

Like most of the background events for the end of the Champions era, especially how the Champions grew into genuinely mighty heroes. Felt Takofanes' demise was very anticlimactic, though.

Also, a curious discovery: the VPP section gives explicit sanction ( subject to GM override as always, naturally ) for constructs consisting of an attack power with limits, and combat levels bought as powers to boost the damage, beyond the normal AP limit of the VPP.

Okay, been reading more. Like what I see. Wish Galactic Federation were getting a book sometime soon.

Like most of the background events for the end of the Champions era, especially how the Champions grew into genuinely mighty heroes. Felt Takofanes' demise was very anticlimactic, though.

I know what you mean, but who was going to take him out? Witchcraft sacrificed herself to beat Tyrranon and no way can Takofanes fit into a non-magical cyberpunk or sf setting. Still, with magic back, some nutcase could find a way to revive him! :eg:

I can certainly understand why the finale for Takofanes (and Dr. Destroyer, for that matter) would be anticlimactic for some people. I daresay lots of Champs players will change that for the course of their own campaigns.

For my part, though, I rather savored the irony of the two most powerful, arrogant and insufferable megalomaniacs in the CU going out with a whimper instead of a bang. :P

Haven't read the Viper bits, but it seems that Slug and others that survived wound up sleeping it off. Maybe Tak' didn't accept it and just refused to settle?

Could be that magic was needed to keep him going, but for the others using magic at the time to put to sleep would work. Afterall there were others that weren't magic that managed such as the Empyrn's and Cataran.

Well, Nama, Viperia and the Slug were all living organisms. They gained extraordinary powers through the presence of magic, but it doesn't seem like their lives depended on it.

Takofanes was a corpse, sustained by nothing except magic. Also, going by the description of Tak's mindset at the beginning of The Mystic World (soon to be in a FLGS near you)... I'm not sure he would have comprehended what was happening, or been willing or able to adapt to it if he did.

Well' date=' maybe there's an Ear and Foot of Takofanes floating around...[/quote']

LOL! :D

"Once I take off my shoe, you shall fall before my Undead Footodor of Doom!"

Well, Nama, Viperia and the Slug were all living organisms. They gained extraordinary powers through the presence of magic, but it doesn't seem like their lives depended on it.

Takofanes was a corpse, sustained by nothing except magic. Also, going by the description of Tak's mindset at the beginning of The Mystic World (soon to be in a FLGS near you)... I'm not sure he would have comprehended what was happening, or been willing or able to adapt to it if he did.

LOL! :D

"Once I take off my shoe, you shall fall before my Undead Footodor of Doom!"

Well, its not undead, but my feet fall under a similar catagory.

So Takofanes really was brain-damaged? 'Cause old Kal-Turak the Ravager was like Doctor Destroyer brilliant, apparently. He would have understood.

*sigh*

I feel sad. Such an epic villain... and such a long, slow, degenerative ending.

Well, I guess it's true. The Dark Side really *does* have less fun. :)