Galactic Champions

Blue

Anyone else got it?

Oh, I could come in here, post a review on what I've read so far, chat about the fine graphics, the inclusion of characters from the present in the far-flung future of champions 3k. I could do that.

But you'll have to settle for a simple Nanny-nanny-nya nya!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Galactic Champions

Anyone else got it?

Oh, I could come in here, post a review on what I've read so far, chat about the fine graphics, the inclusion of characters from the present in the far-flung future of champions 3k. I could do that.

Why must you torture us so?

Fiend.

Ah, that's better. My dark appetite hath been sated.

Between my City of Heroes habit and the latest handful of comics, I only gave Galactic Champions the once over and a read of the first chapter. So far, :thumbup: , as one might expect.

I can honestly say this: I've never had a run of game products from any company ever that lived up to the quality and usefulness of the stuff that Hero has put out beginning with 5e.

I stopped by my FLGS hoping to see Galactic Champions sitting

there on the New Products shelf. But alas, I was denied.

So I blew some money on little plastic superheros with clickey

bases. I loves me my little plastic superheros. I shall strive

again upon their next shipment day to acquire the long, long,

awaited papery goodness that is Galactic Champions.

Anyone else got it?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Let me just say this: I wish I was starting my current campaign now, because I would definitely have worked more of these characters into it. In particular, the human members of the future Champions would not be difficult to fit into a modern day campaign, and would certainly help answer the frequent request for high-powered CU heroes to pit against the mega-villains.

As it is, though, some of the alien menaces in GC will indeed be stopping by contemporary Earth to complicate my PCs' lives. :eg:

Unfortunately I couldn't read more at lunch :(

Sorry, I'm a dearth of information. I hope to have a report soon.

All I got to do was read some of the villains and the update of Defender (But since I didn't have my other books with me I couldn't do a true comparison).

Dang! Why is it that DOJ/Hero is in the Bay Area(where there's no more than a half dozen major gaming stores), but they can't get the books out locally a little quicker? We seem to have to wait the same length of time that everyone else does. guess it's the distributor bottleneck again....curses!

I asked my comic shop about it (I hate hate hate the local gaming shop) and the guy replied "Well, it's on Order" which means Atlantic(?) actually shows as it being out now, odds are it'll be there Weds when I pick up comics. Wish it had come in this week (very light week, only 3 comics (4 if you count my Son's copy of Teen Titan's).

I found the book very interesting, with more actual writeups than other supplements of late. Mechanon 3000 IS a beast, but given the conception behind it, I'd almost say he's a tad underpowered. Sovereign reminded me of Ozmandias from Watchmen. There was also a Hero representation of an "Elder of the Universe" who seemed much stronger than any of the Marvel characters of the same inspiration. The heroes were also nicely done....powerful without being ridiculous about it. Many of the character concepts...especially the villains...could be appropriated to more standard campaigns without too much trouble. (Echo for example.)

Rob

picked it up--looks pretty good.

1. the writeups are pretty imaginative.

2. Mechanon 3000--heh

3. thought the setting details were well done, the explanations halfway decent.

4. some advice on high level superhero campaigns--and it only took 22 years to get around to it :)

quibbles:

1. no Malvan ultradreadnought(and not really much detail on the difference between ATRI 12 and ATRI 13 and 14)

2. slightly fewer writeups than I expected

3. no solo hero writeup in the 4-digit range(thought there'd be one exemplar at least)

4. book shorter than advertised(176 pages advertised, rumored longer due to additions, then comes out at 144 pages plus ads and index?)--really wanted more material on high level gaming

overall, a solid product, if not quite what I expected.

1.) Since all of the Doj books take place in the same Universe is there a "history bridge" or some timeline info that answers some of the questions as to what happens/happened when the magic ran out and super heroes couldn't function anymore?

2.) Does the future know the horror of a Foxbat 3000?

So is Mechanon (and Defender?) the only familiar face in this book or are others from the modern-day Champions universe out there as well?

In case anyone doesn't want to know in advance, SPOILERS:

There is a new Defender, but he's a Harmon, and very similar in motivation to the original.

There's a new holder of the title and power of Firewing, with a somewhat different goal.

OTOH the Slug has survived into the far future, but he's pumped up over the past thousand years.

1.) Since all of the Doj books take place in the same Universe is there a "history bridge" or some timeline info that answers some of the questions as to what happens/happened when the magic ran out and super heroes couldn't function anymore?

2.) Does the future know the horror of a Foxbat 3000?

1.) Most definitely. It goes into a fair bit of detail, and specifically addresses the fate of several of the major players from the contemporary CU.

2.) Not yet. ;)

SPOILERS:
Hey, thanks! :)

Well, despite the unfortunate lack of Foxbat ;), this sounds good to me.

Hehe. I had been thinking about creating a new (the second guy in LL's post) for the GC timeline, or even letting a player do so. Looks like there might be no need to, now.

A few more questions, if I may...

How many new villains and heroes are there? What are they like? Which of them has the most points? And how many points does s/he have? :D