Galactic Champions

Blue

Re: Galactic Champions

A few more questions, if I may...

How many new villains and heroes are there? What are they like? Which of them has the most points? And how many points does s/he have? :D

I'll have to look, but one guy at ~1100 had a 250 point Cosmic VPP. And he has an example use that I would chastise a player for attempting.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

250 point cosmic VPP? What'd they do, bring back the Infinite Man?

(God, I hope not. I have nothing against cosmic VPPs... I use them myself. I *do* have something against lame, and man, was he it.)

IIRC, the guy's name is Arcane, responsible for opening up the magic again through a science mishap. I looked him over, and he didn't strike me as too bad, but I haven't done a thorough reading or analysis of anything yet.

He's a villian that would of annoyed the hell out of some players I know. Very powerful, but stays in the back not doing much unless threatened directly. I haven't looked over the rest of his team yet, but I know one has a SPD drain. (A power that I hate with a passion. Bookkeeping hassle, plus a bad convention experience once)

So far, I like the book. I'm feeling nostaligic and wanting to run a space game now.

Unless he's got SPD 4< and virtually no defenses outside his pool, a villain like that would annoy the heck out of *me*.

I mean... 250 point cosmic VPP. With any remotely sane character build on my part, the first hit the bad guy gets on me will be the one that kills me.(*) So unless he's got the same limitations as the Doctor from AUTHORITY (i.e. --he's totally normal outside his cosmic VPP, and if you can catch him on his blind side you could beat him to death with a bar of soap in a sock), it's just plain not manageable.

Consider the example of the Supreme Serpent. Sure, in 99+% of the campaigns out there, the players are never going to meet him. He's too well hidden, and works at too many removes.

But if the players ever *do* confront him, he's not going to be obliterating them with his pinky finger. Ol' Roger will put up a respectable fight, but if you can put his back into a corner, he *can* be beaten down.

This guy? Well, when I get the book for myself (faster, game store! faster!), I'll take a look at the full stats. Right now all I know is what I've been told here... but what I've been told here fills me with foreboding.

(*) Even Takofanes' 150 point cosmic VPP is survivable. The first hit will almost inevitably *KO* me, but it's not going to take me straight from 'healthy brick' into 'carbon ash'. I'll at least live long enough to have fun RP'ing "Escape From The Dungeon Of Takofanes!".

250 point cosmic VPP? What'd they do, bring back the Infinite Man?

(God, I hope not. I have nothing against cosmic VPPs... I use them myself. I *do* have something against lame, and man, was he it.)

Dude....there's at least a half dozen guys in Galactic Champions who'd beat the Infinite Man to a bloody pulp....if not more. These new "cosmic entities" are better fleshed out than the Infinite Man ever was though.

Unless he's got SPD 4< and virtually no defenses outside his pool, a villain like that would annoy the heck out of *me*.

I mean... 250 point cosmic VPP. With any remotely sane character build on my part, the first hit the bad guy gets on me will be the one that kills me.(*) So unless he's got the same limitations as the Doctor from AUTHORITY (i.e. --he's totally normal outside his cosmic VPP, and if you can catch him on his blind side you could beat him to death with a bar of soap in a sock), it's just plain not manageable.

Consider the example of the Supreme Serpent. Sure, in 99+% of the campaigns out there, the players are never going to meet him. He's too well hidden, and works at too many removes.

But if the players ever *do* confront him, he's not going to be obliterating them with his pinky finger. Ol' Roger will put up a respectable fight, but if you can put his back into a corner, he *can* be beaten down.

This guy? Well, when I get the book for myself (faster, game store! faster!), I'll take a look at the full stats. Right now all I know is what I've been told here... but what I've been told here fills me with foreboding.

(*) Even Takofanes' 150 point cosmic VPP is survivable. The first hit will almost inevitably *KO* me, but it's not going to take me straight from 'healthy brick' into 'carbon ash'. I'll at least live long enough to have fun RP'ing "Escape From The Dungeon Of Takofanes!".

Not to worry. Arcane has powers besides his VVP(though that's where most his abilities come from). His stats and defenses are also good and have nothing to do with the VVP either. I DID find it interesting a being made of pure magical energy still needs to breathe. Go figure. He'd be a tough fight for most groups...specially as he has pretty tough(and in one case....very tough) allies as well.

Rob

OK, so we're talking Mordru here, in his classic Silver Age Legion persona. Great villain to read about, but God, trying to put him in a game would be touchy...

Well, Mordru did at least have the 'completely freak out if buried' weakness. Does Arcane here have that kind of kryptonite?

Dude....there's at least a half dozen guys in Galactic Champions who'd beat the Infinite Man to a bloody pulp....if not more. These new "cosmic entities" are better fleshed out than the Infinite Man ever was though.

... I never thought I'd say this about the "New Sentinels" campaign I'm in, but we're gonna need more points. :)

I mean... 250 point cosmic VPP. With any remotely sane character build on my part' date=' the first hit the bad guy gets on me will be the one that kills me.(*)[/quote']

Well, the example heroes are tougher as well and I think the GM is supposed to use restraint with the 250. Plus that's only 50d6... yeah, i know, autofire NND KA, etc...

The example powers for his pool for the most part didn't use up the pool even if I object to the +100 PRE power.

OK, so we're talking Mordru here, in his classic Silver Age Legion persona. Great villain to read about, but God, trying to put him in a game would be touchy...

Well, Mordru did at least have the 'completely freak out if buried' weakness. Does Arcane here have that kind of kryptonite?

His psyche lims suggest someone easily distracted. There's almost too much going on inside his mind. As a note, I should add that the VVP isn't "completely" cosmic. It requires a half phase action. A small disadvantage to be sure, but it is there. Also, none of his characteristics are obscene(like Doctor Destroyer)...so he can be physically beaten. He's also grossly Overconfident....and a decent GM WILL make this a factor.

Rob

... I never thought I'd say this about the "New Sentinels" campaign I'm in' date=' but we're gonna need more points. :)[/quote']

Well....the "suggested" power level for heroes in this campagin setting was 700 points. Most of the heroes in the book were built very close to this total. As for the villains, they vary in power level, but this book has the highest point totals for characters ever seen in a Hero supplement bar none. There's at least 12 characters I can honestly say I hope I never actually have to meet...EVER.

Rob

Yes, Arcane's physical stats are nowhere near as impressive as his magical abilities, and he does have some built-in drawbacks that could be exploited. I'd say he's also intended as the climax encounter for a major story arc, given his preference for working behind the scenes. I'd estimate that a PC team as powerful as the future Champions detailed in the book would have a good chance of taking him down in a straight fight, if they play it smart.

OTOH there is a true "cosmic entity" statted up with a 500 pt. fully Cosmic VPP, very similar to one of Marvel's "Elders of the Universe"; but the suggestions for his use clearly put him in the realm of "plot device" for most scenarios.

Well....the "suggested" power level for heroes in this campagin setting was 700 points. Most of the heroes in the book were built very close to this total. As for the villains, they vary in power level, but this book has the highest point totals for characters ever seen in a Hero supplement bar none. There's at least 12 characters I can honestly say I hope I never actually have to meet...EVER.

Rob

You mean that in a good way, I hope. ;)

Yes, Arcane's physical stats are nowhere near as impressive as his magical abilities, and he does have some built-in drawbacks that could be exploited. I'd say he's also intended as the climax encounter for a major story arc, given his preference for working behind the scenes. I'd estimate that a PC team as powerful as the future Champions detailed in the book would have a good chance of taking him down in a straight fight, if they play it smart.

OTOH there is a true "cosmic entity" statted up with a 500 pt. fully Cosmic VPP, very similar to one of Marvel's "Elders of the Universe"; but the suggestions for his use clearly put him in the realm of "plot device" for most scenarios.

Yes....though as an avid comic reader....I'll say this character as written would be much more powerful than any of Marvel's "Elders". Only the Grandmaster comes close. In spirit though....pretty close.

Rob

well, on the points thing--this is supposed to be a universal rules system that allows you to write up and play almost any character inspired by your imagination, fiction, film, anime, comics, mythology, etc.--why do most supers games wind up relatively narrowly constrained in terms of point ranges(typically 40-60 active points, 200-400 starting points, and concluding well before they get to 700 points)?

So if GC can open things up a bit--fantastic. It's not good for a game system, or the people who use it, to get stuck in a rut, IMHO :thumbup:

Well' date=' Mordru did at least have the 'completely freak out if buried' weakness. Does Arcane here have that kind of kryptonite?[/quote']

I used the playtest file to run a "sneak peek" game at a local game day, and in there he had a psych lim that basically gave the PCs a chance to encircle him, coordinate attacks, and smash him into GMO land. I'm assuming it's still there, though I haven't tracked down a copy in the local stores yet.

well, on the points thing--this is supposed to be a universal rules system that allows you to write up and play almost any character inspired by your imagination, fiction, film, anime, comics, mythology, etc.--why do most supers games wind up relatively narrowly constrained in terms of point ranges(typically 40-60 active points, 200-400 starting points, and concluding well before they get to 700 points)?

So if GC can open things up a bit--fantastic. It's not good for a game system, or the people who use it, to get stuck in a rut, IMHO :thumbup:

There are also some optional rules included to allow superheroes to be more effective against starships and similar large-scale opponents, should the game group want that kind of epic action without requiring their characters be built on epic point totals.