Movies

Old Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Movies

"Hawk the Slayer", baby!

Going to look that one up on NetFlix right NOW! It's been way too long since I've seen that one. There was a DnD TV series too that was just about the best thing that could happen at the time.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make any movie fit any game system but since DnD fed off of most of the movies I'd bring up I can't say that this qualifies as to what you are looking for but it's good fun anyway.

Also "Clash of the Titans", "Krull" and "H R Puffinstuff"

"Hawk the Slayer", baby!

Going to look that one up on NetFlix right NOW! It's been way too long since I've seen that one. There was a DnD TV series too that was just about the best thing that could happen at the time.

Excellent movie! :thumbup: I'd give the elf a naked modifier advantage to turn any bow weapon into an autofire weapon.

"Hawk the Slayer", baby!

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make any movie fit any game system but since DnD fed off of most of the movies I'd bring up I can't say that this qualifies as to what you are looking for but it's good fun anyway.

Also "Clash of the Titans", "Krull" and "H R Puffinstuff"

Aw man! You beat me to it.

Hawk the Slayer rocks :rockon:

btw, what was the name of that TV movie with the "Heartbow"? I forget...

13th Warrior, Ladyhawk & Excalibur are some of my favorites.

IMO the movies that I listed are on the low side for magic. DnD really struggles with anything but high magic campaigns.

A campaign made entirely of warriors/rogues would be a hard sell to a DnD group. While it is possible to create different characters from the same class in DnD, it is by far easier in Hero...

Just for a frame of reference, what fantasy or near fantasy movies can you do easily in Hero but not so well in D&D?

So far I have:

Lord of the Rings (full series)

Pirates of the Caribbean

Conan

The Archer

Every Martial Arts/Kung Fu Movie Ever Made.

Pretty much any fantasy movie that was not inspired by D&D is easier to do in Hero. Hero is generic, D&D is specfic. D&D only does D&D well.

Robin of Sherwood would probably work better in Hero.

IMHO, you can do quite a respectable take on "Pirates of the Caribbean" if you use Green Ronin's Skull & Bones sourcebook. Honestly, you can do a lot of those films justice using the d20 system, unless by "D&D" you mean out of the box, as is, use all the rules, with no tinkering.

Hero is generic' date=' D&D is specfic. D&D only does D&D well.[/quote']

And even that is questionable.

I've engaged in this debate with a friend for the last 2 years. I play in his D&D game (because he's the only person besides me who will GM), and we finally had to agree to disagree because it was ruining game sessions.

Classes are a stupid idea. AC is a stupid way to simulate combat.

Now, before anyone jumps on me, I recognize that the system was created so 12 year olds could learn to play, and some compromises have to be made in that situation. I just feel horribly, horribly constrained by D20.

Once the game I'm in is over, I'll never go back.

My apologies for the rant. And for the record, no fantasy game I've ever run (and I think of them as big budget, special-effects-heavy epic movies) would be even remotely possible using D&D. The rules are just too setting-specific.

Aw man! You beat me to it.

Hawk the Slayer rocks :rockon:

btw, what was the name of that TV movie with the "Heartbow"? I forget...

From IMDB:

Archer: Fugitive from the Empire, The (1981) (TV)

The hero is given his mentor's bow (the Heartbow) which chooses its new owner when passed on. It fires arrows that blow up like grenades, but can only be wielded by the one chosen to wield her. The hero is a member of a nomadic tribe wiped out by the Draikian Empire's forces. He attempts to find the wizard Lazar-Sa who might be able to help him. He is joined by a thief looking for adventure and cash, and the daughter of a goddess, Estra, looking to revenger herself on Lazar-Sa for crimes against her mother.

What I want to know is why are there not coming out any new fantasy films!

With the massive sucksess that Lord of the rings was you should think that we would get a couple of knock offs atleast. I was full of hope after the trilogy. But all the fantasy films you talk of here comes from BEFORE the lord of the rings films. What do we get after? The scorpion king that's what. Hrmmmrm...

Ok back on topic: :yes: In the bargain bin of an local supermarcet in my old home town I once found the animated film Fire and Ice I was plesantly suprised.

Fire and Ice! Ahh.. Ralph Bakshi, for a little mescaline with your fantasy.

Wizards - When I was in high school/college, it was considered a classic geek film, with quotable lines and everything. "I'm glad you changed your name you son of a bitch." "They killed Fritz! Lousy stinkin fairies!" And horrible to model on D&D.

Excalibur

Krull

Harry Potter is fantasy, but not in line with everything else here.

Trencher - Comic book movies are filling in the escapist/empowerment slot in modern movies. It may be a year or so for it to start swinging back (though sweeping the awards SHOULD have brought out some grade-B fantasy action stuff at least).

What I want to know is why are there not coming out any new fantasy films!

With the massive sucksess that Lord of the rings was you should think that we would get a couple of knock offs atleast. I was full of hope after the trilogy. But all the fantasy films you talk of here comes from BEFORE the lord of the rings films. What do we get after? The scorpion king that's what. Hrmmmrm...

Ummm, they did.

Troy, King Arthur, and Alexander. All movies made to suck in the LotR fans, though not entirely fantasy movies, still pretty much in the same genre.

Holy Crap TKDGuy, you mean I'm NOT the only person who saw Circle of Iron?!?!??!

Yeah, I tried to run that in DnD and it didn't flow so well. In Hero it would be a cake-walk.

And yes, the first thing that came to mind after the first post was "Hawk the slayer with the autofire elf and one armed autofire x-bow guy!" Man...I have to find a copy of that...though it still brings me physical pain to watch jack Palance in that.

Ummm, they did.

Troy, King Arthur, and Alexander. All movies made to suck in the LotR fans, though not entirely fantasy movies, still pretty much in the same genre.

The King Arthur movie is pretty close, a small group of highly skilled warriors going against an entire army, in a fight that is not their own (said in a booming voice). It would have worked better if they hadn't pushed the 'reality behind the legend' shtick, maybe even dropped the Arthurian references altogether.

The other two were about epic wars, not the small group of adventurers. LotR had both, of course.

When i think of fantasy, I think of the small group fighting the good fight against all odds, with the Leader, the Loner/Misanthrope, the Jock, the Geek, the Brain, and the Good Looking One. Oh wait, I'm thinking of Battle of the Planets. Or was that Starblazers? Thundercats? Scooby Doo? No, no, it's the D&D cartoon. No wait, the X-men. Umm, Aliens? Now I'm all confused.

Holy Crap TKDGuy, you mean I'm NOT the only person who saw Circle of Iron?!?!??!

Yeah, I tried to run that in DnD and it didn't flow so well. In Hero it would be a cake-walk.

And yes, the first thing that came to mind after the first post was "Hawk the slayer with the autofire elf and one armed autofire x-bow guy!" Man...I have to find a copy of that...though it still brings me physical pain to watch jack Palance in that.

Well look no further. Hawk the Slayer is indeed available through amazon.com.

"Mark and Remember"

And it's been a long time, but wasn't the elf's entire 'jump, pull and fire' move repeated. I don't remember it as just the firing part, it was more like a movement loop wasn't it?

Well look no further. Hawk the Slayer is indeed available through amazon.com.

"Mark and Remember"

And it's been a long time, but wasn't the elf's entire 'jump, pull and fire' move repeated. I don't remember it as just the firing part, it was more like a movement loop wasn't it?

Nah, he rapidshots like an AK on full auto. ;) Check the video near the bottom. LIVE THE ADVENTURE! THRILL TO THE MUSIC!! (Or somethin'...)

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/hawkslayer/

This site provides hours of entertainment BTW, and I recommend it most highly.

Nah, he rapidshots like an AK on full auto. ;) Check the video near the bottom. LIVE THE ADVENTURE! THRILL TO THE MUSIC!! (Or somethin'...)

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/hawkslayer/

This site provides hours of entertainment BTW, and I recommend it most highly.

SO FRIGGIN SWEET! Thank you, OH THANK YOU!

However, I don't see good ol' Crow reaching for another arrow. God that Disco music during the battle is the SHIZZNIT!

SO FRIGGIN SWEET! Thank you, OH THANK YOU!

However, I don't see good ol' Crow reaching for another arrow. God that Disco music during the battle is the SHIZZNIT!

True, he never reaches back for another arrow. He has that old "Arrows teleport to the string" schtick that 2e used to justify increased fire rates. ;)