Movies

Old Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Movies

Ummm, they did.

Troy, King Arthur, and Alexander. All movies made to suck in the LotR fans, though not entirely fantasy movies, still pretty much in the same genre.

Well they are not just made to suck in the LotR fans it is also made to suck in as many non-fantasy fans as possible.

I define a film as a fantasy film if magic exist in its story, it is a loose definition but there you go, and no you do not need big battles to make a fantasy film (but it helps) and yes by my definition Harry Potter and Star wars would be fantasy films.

What I would like to watch is some warrior/adventures types fight monsters and stuff. I am not picky.

Trencher - Comic book movies are filling in the escapist/empowerment slot in modern movies. It may be a year or so for it to start swinging back (though sweeping the awards SHOULD have brought out some grade-B fantasy action stuff at least).

I try to keep my ears open for rumours about any fantasy films in development but I have heard zip.

If you have heard anything I would like to hear about it.

D&D only does D&D well.
Of course, sometimes Hero does DnD better than DnD does - as with Turakian Age.

Note on the DnD movie: It violated DnD's rules in many places, and I still can't figure out what race the purple guy was... So if I wanted to simulate it down to the last detail I would not choose DnD.

Damn!

That's pretty bad, then. I figured D&D was the only movie that D20 could do right. There must be NO movie that couldn't be done better in Hero.

Damn straight!

Of course if you were to throw in anime, Record of the Lodruss Wars works really well in D&D (as it is based off of it).

Of course, it would work just as well in Hero...

My old favorite "the MAgic Sword."

its an old school movie with stop motion special effects. Its the movie that got me to start reading fantasy fiction

Check the cheap DVD racks at dollar stores and such.

I got my copy for a dollar.

The movie is fun, but dont expect too much

WARNING: I am extermely prejudiced in this area. D&D doesn't even work in D&D. I find that Hero is so much better at allowing you to have just the character you want, and by extension letting you model almost whatever you want. After I discovered Hero, I always hated being stuck with a character that wasn't just what I wanted.

Movies: I have to say I've only seen a handful of movies fantasy movies that weren't completely horrible.

1)Princess Bride. See Surbrook's excellent write-ups on his web page.

2) The first Conan movie. How cool was that. That was one of the best examples I can point to for the Armed Combat martial art in fantasy games. Also low magic:

Fire snake from Bow: RKA, NND or Indirect (?), Extra Time, Gestures, need a snake.

3) Ladyhawk. Multiform anyone.

4)Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. A lot of Wuxia is fantasy to me. If the Green Destiny isn't an artifact, I don't know what is.

Also: Flight, must touch a surface every 10" or so.

Missle Deflection with insane levels in Hero. If you haven't seen it, and you liked Crouching Tiger, go check it out.

There are some others, but I can'y bring them to mind right now.

Not sure if these have been posted yet, but some fantasy movies that come to mind:

The Sword and the Sorcerer: Besides the ridiculous "tri-sword" and cheesy story, it had some interesting ideas...The "tri-sword" wasn't one of them. :)

Metalstorm - The Destruction of Jared Syn: Basically a fantasy story wrapped in sci-fi trappings. I remember it was "really cool" as a kid.

The Ator Movies: Pretty horrible movies all in all, but there are certainly some nuggets that can be mined from them.

The Deathstalker Movies: See Ator above.

She (1985): Probably the last movie to have Sandahl Bergman as a main character; a post-apocalyptic setting with plenty of swordplay.

Steel Dawn: Patrick Swayze as a master swordsman in a post-apocalyptic world...Nuff said :)

Gor, Outlaw of Gor: Based on the book series of the same name (I've never read it). In fact, I can't remember much about the movies either...

Big Trouble in Little China: Modern-day fantasy by John Carpenter. Great martial arts, interesting characters and wholly entertaining. One of my favorites.

The Secret of Nimh: Pure fantasy animated story with the main characters being Anthopomorphic rats/mice. Interesting story and a lot of fantasy trappings.

Granted, not all of these movies are *good*, but I figured I'd throw them in the mix...

Scorpion King was fun to watch. You definately cannot do it in D&D. Burly assassins with long bows, teleporting thieves, mental powers linked to virginity, all that stuff cannot be done in D&D. Surviving being shot from a catapult can be done though.

While watching Fellowship for the umpteeth time last night I was thinking about this thread. During the fight in Moria, Aragorn is knocked down and out by the cave troll, and Frodo is knocked out by the cave trolls stab. The damage to Aragorn is unknown but Frodo has no bleeding wounds. Neither case can be simulated in D&D but make total sense in Hero.

In the last fight of the movies, Boromir is shot with a big-ass arrow and is unable to act for a few seconds (stunned), he recovers and kills a few more orcs, and is shot and stunned again. He utters his last words as he bleeds to death. The stunning and bleeding out, easy in Hero.

What I find most odd is that in D&D, you dont' start to bleed until you hit negative hit points.

All good choices. How about Highlander for the modern fantasy genre?

And Shadowpup: You own every kung fu movie ever made? Even Circle of Iron?

Edit: Excuse me. I just reread the entire post. Something didn't click in my mind the first time. :stupid:

*SHOCK* there is someone else who has seen Circle of Iron?!!!?

No' date=' it wasn't. There was no indication nor hint that it was magical. The throwing thing, maybe.[/quote']

Let's see: He wore it the wilderness for god knows how long. It never tore; it never got dirty; it never wore out, and there were no wardrobe malfunctions. That sounds like a magical loincloth.

I was told HBO originally stood for "Hey, Beastmaster's On!"

Let's see: He wore it the wilderness for god knows how long. It never tore; it never got dirty; it never wore out, and there were no wardrobe malfunctions. That sounds like a magical loincloth.

I was told HBO originally stood for "Hey, Beastmaster's On!"

Huh...I remember them playing C.H.U.D. endlessly in the early 80's....I must have missed the Beastmaster years. ;)