Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

In case someone has forgotten about it:

Wayback machine

I never knew it existed. But now I'm glad I know.

Interesting to find that one of my favorite sites of the past now belongs to a horse ranch (?!) and another, in the days before I frequented it, was devoted to alternative fuels.

Lucius Alexander

And a swayback, I mean, wayback palindromedary

There comes a point when telling yourself "Sure' date=' he's bigger, stronger, faster, and better trained than I am, but I'll just go for the knees or ankles because attitude is everything" just smacks of whistling in the dark.[/quote']

When you're a real life DEX 6, turn it into a tech-based INT roll battle. Let HIM make the mistake of bringing superior tae kwon do to a precision guided munitions battle.

When you're a real life DEX 6' date=' turn it into a tech-based INT roll battle. Let HIM make the mistake of bringing superior tae kwon do to a precision guided munitions battle.[/quote']

"Master, what do you do when facing a foe whose skills are superior?"

"I shoot him. Preferably, from behind."

Gah! Today was only slightly more fun than a root canal. :thumbdown

I hear people say things like this a lot, but I'll have to say my only experience with a root canal was pretty much a positive thing. Before I had it done I was in a lot of pain. The procedure itself was painless, and afterwords no more pain. Granted there are probably a number of things that I'd rather have been doing, but a shortish procedure that got rid of some pretty intense pain is high on my list of good things... :)

I hear people say things like this a lot' date=' but I'll have to say my only experience with a root canal was pretty much a positive thing. Before I had it done I was in a lot of pain. The procedure itself was painless, and afterwords no more pain. Granted there are probably a number of things that I'd rather have been doing, but a shortish procedure that got rid of some pretty intense pain is high on my list of good things... :)[/quote']

It took 4 visits and drilling/cleanings to get mine done. Since then, if a tooth gets that bad, I have it pulled.

It took 4 visits and drilling/cleanings to get mine done. Since then' date=' if a tooth gets that bad, I have it pulled.[/quote']

Ick. It might have helped that I went to an endodontist to have it done. Overall I had the initial treatment of the tooth by an emergency dentist, the root canal done by the endodontist, and then the crown by the guy who is now my regular dentist. A total of four visits, but the fourth was just putting the crown in place. I've got one other crown, but that one didn't get a root canal first. The cold sensativity on that one has pretty much gone away by now.

Hm. My root canal was done in one whack, though there was a multi-year delay between the initial problem (the toothache started at dinner late Friday evening the day I finished college ... I dealt with it all weekend and got the emergency taken care of Monday) and the root canal & crown.

The root canal wasn't painful, but it reinforced my relief that I've never done recreational drugs. Both times I've been under general anesthesia (wisdom tooth removal and the root canal) I had what fall under the category of "bad trips". During the root canal I got the paranoid suspicion that the dentist was extracting my entire central nervous system out through that tooth, so as I sat there for two hours while the work was going on I had a mute argument with myself over that.

I've had two root canals. While I wouldn't want to repeat either procedure, I am glad to have full crushing power at my disposal. They didn't hurt as badly as people say; I barely felt a thing. But then, the dentist kept checking with me, to make sure I couldn't feel anything.

Sometimes, though, I wish I could afford getting all my teeth turned to crowns. I'm very prone to cavities, and I HATE fillings.

Turns out I have extra nerves in my mouth. It happens, and it isn't rare. And it totally explains why, when my dentist would start drilling when I was a kid, and snapped at me, "Stop squirming; you can't feel anything!", I COULD feel it, and it HURT.

Well. Thank goodness for laughing gas.

My root canal last year went fine' date=' but I did have to tell the dentist I have a tendancy to shake off anesthesia quickly. Thankfully he paid attention to when I signaled "it's starting to wear off"[/quote']

My endodontist was quite on top of the whole procedure. I felt nothing more than a slight twinge during the whole procedure, and nothing more than minor pain afterwords. Which Advil took care of quite nicely.

He also had some really cool equipment. :D

You get both pronounciations of "Route" in the US. :)

I once had a lady get furious that I pronounced it that way (as if fleeing). I kept using it that way, and she kept trying to correct me. It was amusing, apparently the idea of a word having more than one correct pronunciation was beyond her grasp. I probably should have appeased her, but the imp on my shoulder and I were in solid cahoots at the time.

Turns out I have extra nerves in my mouth. It happens, and it isn't rare. And it totally explains why, when my dentist would start drilling when I was a kid, and snapped at me, "Stop squirming; you can't feel anything!", I COULD feel it, and it HURT.

Well. Thank goodness for laughing gas.

This is why it took 4 visits. near the end of the first they discovered a second nerve in the tooth and had to take care of it too, but was running out of time.

And they have to shoot me twice with novacaine before they can begin to drill and I still feel it.

Coding the color "pussy willow" for a product we'll be stocking this spring (and coming up with an appropriate abbreviation of 6 or fewer characters) has driven me to distraction. On the other hand' date=' I COULD justifiably giggle AND work, for the first time in YEARS.[/quote']

Hey, at least it's a color. Just imagine how much worse the situation would be if you were coding for, say, scented candles.