Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Corporate paranoia about drugs has gotten too far.

This week at the office, there was random drug testing and apparently one of the guys told us that they don't even let you take your own cup to piss in anymore. Rather than trust that you'll wash your hands first to ensure a clean sample, they expect a nurse to BE IN THE ROOM with you when you urinate and collect the sample directly.

We were talking about how this would work if they made us come in.

"Wow, I didn't know this was a full-service operation now."

"I'm sorry but I'm getting old and my grip isn't steady anymore. Nurse, could you hold this for me?" :eg:

" If I piss up the boss' nose, am I the one that gets fired for testing positive for cocaine?"

I wonder if the Dual-Slit Experiment has been done with other kinds of particles in place of Electrons' date=' like Protons or Neutrons?[/quote']

I know neutron diffraction is a pretty standard tool now. That's not the two-slit experiment, but it relies on the same physical effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I said good-bye to a friend of mine today--my good friend's brother' date=' actually, but a friend in his own right. Nicest guy you could ever meet. Played airsoft and warhammer. We talked about modding our cars a lot--he was always willing to do more radical things to his vehicles than I was to mine, but I really liked his Accord. You hear about guys who are quiet and dependable, but that cliché fit this guy perfectly. If you ever needed a hand, with [i']anything,[/i] you could call him. There are a lot of ways I wish I could be more like him. Christmas Eve he was walking back to the house with some of his family and he just instantly died for no apparent reason. Dead before he hit the ground. He must have set some kind of record for abrupt, unexpected, poorly timed deaths. Kid was 37.

I thought I would be all right at the funeral, but I was totally wrong. His family, my friends, weren't over it at all. There was just no time to prepare and no hint that it might be coming. I wept for an hour. Hell, I'm still not over it.

All I can think about is that Christmas morning there were a lot of presents waiting for him under the tree.

My prayers and sympathies, Old Man! :(

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob everybody.

I remembered this, got curious, and went after numbers.

From the FBI's crime stats page:

from here, the total amount of money stolen in bank robberies in 2010 was $28.8 million. That's taking the number of bank robberies and multiplying by the average value.

Here there are not so definite and crunchy a table, but looking at the figure, it looks like there was in 2010 about $11 billion in mortgage fraud.

So the banks in 2010 stole more than the robbers by about a factor of 400, and that's in mortgage fraud only by the FBI's own numbers.

I said good-bye to a friend of mine today--my good friend's brother' date=' actually, but a friend in his own right. Nicest guy you could ever meet. Played airsoft and warhammer. We talked about modding our cars a lot--he was always willing to do more radical things to his vehicles than I was to mine, but I really liked his Accord. You hear about guys who are quiet and dependable, but that cliché fit this guy perfectly. If you ever needed a hand, with [i']anything,[/i] you could call him. There are a lot of ways I wish I could be more like him. Christmas Eve he was walking back to the house with some of his family and he just instantly died for no apparent reason. Dead before he hit the ground. He must have set some kind of record for abrupt, unexpected, poorly timed deaths. Kid was 37.

I thought I would be all right at the funeral, but I was totally wrong. His family, my friends, weren't over it at all. There was just no time to prepare and no hint that it might be coming. I wept for an hour. Hell, I'm still not over it.

All I can think about is that Christmas morning there were a lot of presents waiting for him under the tree.

My condolences Old Man.

What can run but never walks' date=' has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?[/quote']

That's easy.

What has banks but never earns, has schools and yet never learns, lazily seeks the easiest way, yet never stops by night or day?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is sure Lucius has a character sheet for it actually