Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

To avoid the hassle of being pulled over? I dunno.

I do know that it takes some pretty bad driving behavior to get pulled over in NC. The last time I was pulled over, I'd just nearly sideswiped a police cruiser. (My windows had fogged up as I was pulling out, so I didn't see him until I was right on top of him.) I sheepishly apologized and explained I'd just gotten out of work, and he let me go.

The only other time I've been pulled over in NC was because the "No left turn" sign was blocked by a tree branch, and I was lost. It wasn't a one-way road, at least, and the fact that Josh had a map unfolded on his lap made my story that I was terribly lost a lot more plausible. He just pointed me on my way, and I found my way back with no further incident. No ticket then, either.

I get the impression NC cops really don't like pulling people over, and like ticketing them even less.

To avoid the hassle of being pulled over? I dunno.

Makes me surprised that anyone registers their vehicle in NC without first getting pulled over. :)

I do know that it takes some pretty bad driving behavior to get pulled over in NC. The last time I was pulled over, I'd just nearly sideswiped a police cruiser. (My windows had fogged up as I was pulling out, so I didn't see him until I was right on top of him.) I sheepishly apologized and explained I'd just gotten out of work, and he let me go.

The only other time I've been pulled over in NC was because the "No left turn" sign was blocked by a tree branch, and I was lost. It wasn't a one-way road, at least, and the fact that Josh had a map unfolded on his lap made my story that I was terribly lost a lot more plausible. He just pointed me on my way, and I found my way back with no further incident. No ticket then, either.

I get the impression NC cops really don't like pulling people over, and like ticketing them even less.

Cool. I've yet to actually get pulled over for anything since moving to CA. So I can't really comment on how anal the cops here are. Colorado cops on the other hand...

I got a ticket once for not turning from a lane that was marked as a right turn only lane. I drove that stretch of road every day on my way home from work, and the lane hadn't been marked as such previously. Turns out the city in question marks that lane as a turn only lane for a week 2 times a year as revenue generation. If you are a resident of their city they just give you a warning, but if you aren't they ticket you. The clerk who I paid for the ticket told me about it, along with the fact that she'd been bitten by it before, as she didn't live there. Probably the most annoying ticket I've ever gotten.

Yeesh.

Isn't that entrapment, or something?

I have deserved all of the tickets I've gotten. I also haven't been ticketed (and had it stick, at least) since 1995.

Well, the sign wasn't hidden or anything. I don't really know if there is anything illegal about it or not. I did what I'm sure they expect most people to: I just paid the ticket rather than wasting my time trying to fight it. If it hadn't been clearly (if newly) signed i probably would've fought it.

Cool. I've yet to actually get pulled over for anything since moving to CA. So I can't really comment on how anal the cops here are. Colorado cops on the other hand...

Depends on the areas of California. I had many issues with Santa Cruz cops.

Pulled over in more affluent areas when I had rather trashy cars.

I have found that tourist towns tend to see more enforcement as a revenue generator.

Depends on the areas of California. I had many issues with Santa Cruz cops.

Pulled over in more affluent areas when I had rather trashy cars.

I have found that tourist towns tend to see more enforcement as a revenue generator.

Ah, so pretty much like Colorado cops. ;)

One time I was driving home from visiting my dad. I lived in Denver, he lived in a fairly nice suburb (Lakewood). My car (a '77 Nova) had a tendancy to have the choke freeze, which would kill the engine. It did so about two blocks from my dad's house, just as I was getting ready to get on one of the main roads in the area. In the time it took me to try restarting it a few times, and then get out and take off the air cleaner (so I could get to the choke) two cop cars had pulled up. They asked me what I was doing there, I told them that I was driving home from my dad's house, who lived right up the street. They said that my car was blocking traffic (there were no other cars besides our three around) and that they would have to tow it. And that they would need to put me in custody. While they were saying this, I knocked the choke loose, put the air cleaner back together, and then walked back to the driver's side door. It was at that point I realized that the cop that had stayed back at his car had a shotgun out, though not pointed at me. I reached in and started my car (which started right up) and asked if I could just drive it home. They looked startled, talked for a moment, and then told me to get out of there.

Not too much later I got rid of that car, though it didn't have anything to do with that incident. :)

Ah, so pretty much like Colorado cops. ;)

One time I was driving home from visiting my dad. I lived in Denver, he lived in a fairly nice suburb (Lakewood). My car (a '77 Nova) had a tendancy to have the choke freeze, which would kill the engine. It did so about two blocks from my dad's house, just as I was getting ready to get on one of the main roads in the area. In the time it took me to try restarting it a few times, and then get out and take off the air cleaner (so I could get to the choke) two cop cars had pulled up. They asked me what I was doing there, I told them that I was driving home from my dad's house, who lived right up the street. They said that my car was blocking traffic (there were no other cars besides our three around) and that they would have to tow it. And that they would need to put me in custody. While they were saying this, I knocked the choke loose, put the air cleaner back together, and then walked back to the driver's side door. It was at that point I realized that the cop that had stayed back at his car had a shotgun out, though not pointed at me. I reached in and started my car (which started right up) and asked if I could just drive it home. They looked startled, talked for a moment, and then told me to get out of there.

Not too much later I got rid of that car, though it didn't have anything to do with that incident. :)

In Lakewood? yeesh.

Friend of mine got pulled over in Ken Carle for, essentially, not driving an expensive enough car.

I like Denver District 3 and 5. Sure they can be terse, but they're fair. and usually friendly or at least understanding.

Well, THAT sucks. :(

My condolences.

ditto.

Thanks.

I'm taking a "psychological impact" day and then hitting the pavement.

I hope you get one quickly. I'm sure that you will, you are a very capable person with a gift for writing.

I'll send a prayer your way.

and just to prove that occasionally Karma works on the other end of the spectrum

I woke up for work yesterday, got myself and my coffee down to the call center and walk in. I was expecting Tom (my supervisor) to be there, because the call center he usually works out of was experiencing a "planned power outage" (they were replacing a generator or something) I tossed him a cheery "Good Morning" - his reply was "We have no tools" I (being a bit cheeky) was "Oh good, so I can clock in and go get breakfast?" he said "No, you can have a personal day and take the day off. Our tools are gone because of the outage and won't be back up until tomorrow when the turn the power back on" - Oh! so I smile and took the day off... got lots of my sewing projects caught up...:P

In Lakewood? yeesh.

Friend of mine got pulled over in Ken Carle for, essentially, not driving an expensive enough car.

I like Denver District 3 and 5. Sure they can be terse, but they're fair. and usually friendly or at least understanding.

Lakewood cops at least used to have a rep for "shoot first and pretend you asked questions later", so I suppose I should be happy it turned out as well as it did. It probably didn't help that I'd just recently moved back to Colorado and didn't have CO plates yet.

I'm tired of people arguing that their favorite fictional character could beat another poster's favorite fictional character. It's even worse when they're not trolling.

Pft. You wish. Zornwil could clearly beat Death Tribble in a standup fight. Now maybe -- maybe -- if Death Tribble had time to prepare and access to his arsenal, then it would be a fair fight. Otherwise? No way.

I'm tired of people posting "so you agree with me" when they know that the other poster doesn't.

I'm glad you agree.

;)

I'm tired of people arguing with what they think the other poster meant, rather than what he actually posted.

Agreed. I know it is human to read what you want to see into things, but sheesh.

I'm tired of people posting "so you agree with me" when they know that the other poster doesn't.

I haven't had to face this one as often myself, but I've seen it happen to others. For me it's the false equivalences: This orange is the same as this apple, and we'll keep going back to the subject of the orange because I think I can win with it where I can't with the apple. Or an attitude similar to 'Bad and wrong people have also said what you just said, therefore you are bad and wrong, and so is your statement'

False equivalences suck.

Of course, who gets to define what IS a false equivalency just leads to another round of flames.

I'm tired of people arguing that their favorite fictional character could beat another poster's favorite fictional character. It's even worse when they're not trolling.

Err...

guilty. :o

I'm tired of people citing their many years of experience in X, when every other person in the conversation has at least as much experience.

I'm tired of people who believe that their expertise in one area applies to all areas.

I'm tired of the Internet.

All understandable. There are times I may have lent more credence to my personal experience than the experiences of others, though it isn't intentional. Human nature I suppose. I admit, I've gotten soured myself of late for similar reasons.

I am 36 years old. A child of the 80s. The video game generation. I remember Pong. I remember when Mario was just "The plumber." I used to know the lyrics to Pac-Man Fever. I played on the Atari 400, 800, and 2600.

But god help me... I can't beat level 2 of Frogger.

I feel your pain somewhat. I can't get past the second Chariot ride in Prince of Persia Rival Swords on this #$#$ing Wii.

From one perspective, I've killed more horses than Ben Hur on a bender.