Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

If this is to clean up a virus' date=' I'd overwrite the drive. At work, I've seen at least one virus remain even after we re-formatted and re-imaged the drive. Something like Darik's Boot & Nuke (http://www.dban.org/) will work just fine, and it's freeware.[/quote']

If it were me, I'd use a drive utility from the manufacturer to do a low-level format (like "write zeroes to drive"), turn the computer off (some bugs can keep themselves safe in RAM while the format is happening), then boot straight from the install disk.

If it were me' date=' I'd use a drive utility from the manufacturer to do a low-level format (like "write zeroes to drive"), turn the computer off (some bugs can keep themselves safe in RAM while the format is happening), then boot straight from the install disk.[/quote']

Not everyone has those disks... and writing zeroes to the drive is exactly what utilities like Boot & Nuke do.

No, really, is this necessary? As I understand it originally the word "men" was genderless (inclusive of both genders) and only became associated specifically with the male gender around the time of the Middle Ages (will have to check the reference to be accurate).

Also in the Bible, when it mentions that G-d made man in his image, this included both genders and also includes the soul/spirit of a person -- his/her divine/spiritual self.

So why, why, why, are we destroying the language we all use to communicate to appease a minority?

It's not necessary; it's an overt act of social aggression by a particular group.

I don't use the word quoted in the original post, and I never will, except in discussions of attempts at social control by small groups.

Not everyone has those disks... and writing zeroes to the drive is exactly what utilities like Boot & Nuke do.

But DBAN says in it's description that it will do that to *all* drives connected to the computer (and IIRC it is a multi-pass data shredder, not just a zero-writer). Sometimes you might want to only wipe a single drive, or a single partition on a single drive (though that option might be only on more advanced software).

Drive utilities can often be easily downloaded from the drive manufacturer's site. And often there is a good amount of cross-compatibility. For instance, a utility from W.D. will often correctly report Maxtor/Seagate drives & be able to write zeros to them.

No, really, is this necessary? As I understand it originally the word "men" was genderless (inclusive of both genders) and only became associated specifically with the male gender around the time of the Middle Ages (will have to check the reference to be accurate).

Also in the Bible, when it mentions that G-d made man in his image, this included both genders and also includes the soul/spirit of a person -- his/her divine/spiritual self.

So why, why, why, are we destroying the language we all use to communicate to appease a minority?

It's not destroying my language. I just refuse to use (IMO) nonsense words like womyn and hir.

It's not necessary; it's an overt act of social aggression by a particular group.

I don't use the word quoted in the original post, and I never will, except in discussions of attempts at social control by small groups.

It's not destroying my language. I just refuse to use (IMO) nonsense words like womyn and hir.

In case you were wondering where I encountered it it was here...(spoilered, just in case)

The Miss Lez Pageant, self-billed as a "wildly provocative alt-beauty pageant for queer womyn
I stopped after the 7th picture (of about 46)

I use womyn on occasion. Primarily when I am being satirical about political correctness.

Anything can be cured. All it takes is the right rub or brine and a big enough smokehouse.

Great!

...Cure my lack of money for me? :D

I don't want bacon and eggs. But I'll eat bacon and eggs. Bistro food is crap and we've overdone the Diner.

I love bacon and eggs. It's like a tasty grease-bomb to the tummy.