Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

The enemy, the ultimate enemy, was wage growth. The employer would rather live in a postapocalyptic hellhole, fighting for the last drop of "go juice" then pay another cent to the working classes, the paper assumed.

Or, rather, told people to think. Because only wage repression could keep investment income growing faster than inflation, and so keep the kind of people who read The Economist happy.

Hey, they were only off by 65 years or so.

Bureaucracy thrives on giving people the run-around.

I had to get a printout of my transcripts for a job application. Why I have to do that when I graduated 20 years ago is beyond me. But I paid the fee at one building and trekked across campus to where the records are kept and waited a half hour before my turn. Now there's a student pin number which I don't have since I'm no longer a student. The clerk wouldn't even try to help me until I demanded a refund. After all, no service, no money. The clerk became much more helpful after that.

You can blame the identity thieves for that one.

I applied to one job a couple of months ago where I needed to submit hard copies of my resume, transcripts, a five page cover letter addressing each job requirement, three letters of recommendation, and two forms, via snail mail. For an IT position.

You can blame the identity thieves for that one.

I applied to one job a couple of months ago where I needed to submit hard copies of my resume, transcripts, a five page cover letter addressing each job requirement, three letters of recommendation, and two forms, via snail mail. For an IT position.

One job I applied for was asking for high school info.  (I think that is 30 years out of date by now?)

Semi-tangent, I'm so glad that the medical people lately are fine with me emailing a scanned copy instead of insisting on a fax.

Vondy Wrote:

head-scratcher: why do community colleges treat everyone like they are 18 years old?

I have a different rant about this from a decade ago, but...

"You need to talk to a counselor."

"Why?"

"You might not graduate if you don't talk to a..."

"Stop. I am 41 years old, married, a father, employed, and have a BA plus 75."

"I still think you should talk to a counselor. You'll want..."

"Do tell, what is it I want?"

"Sir?"

"I'm here to take five classes specified by my employer for work purposes."

"You don't want to graduate?"

"Madame, with respect, I told you I've already graduated from a real university."

"Well, the guidance department can help you decide what classes..."

"Does the guidance department sign my paycheck?"

"Sir?"

"I told you I'm taking the classes my employer specified."

"Well, if you don't think you need it you don't have to. But I'd really recommend..."

"Just register me for the class, would you?"

I think the bureaucrats have to justify their jobs somehow.

... What would the speed of sound be in a neutron star?

Look for "speed of sound in nuclear matter". I find references to papers dealing with that as far back 1979.

Hmm. 1988 paper points out that with existing theory (and this is a nuclear theory question) there are problems because in some regimes the theory predicts v_sound > c ....

But the speed of sound in nuclear matter is important for the physics of supernova explosions and we don't know it all that well ....

Interesting question!

L. Marcus wrote:

Today, the 17th of May, is Norway's National Day. It commemorates the day in 1814, when the modern Norwegian constitution was adopted at Eidsvoll -- they celebrate 200 years as a sovereign state.

Huzzas are in order!

I take it they weren't invaded by Napoleon during this time?