Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Maybe. All we got out of it was steal an English drinking song, scratch up some odd lyrics for it, and adopt it as a national anthem. After the Brits burned the White House and some other pieces of D.C. Doesn't sound like much of a win.

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,

A few sons of harmony sent in a petition

That he their Inspirer and patron would be;

When this answer arriv'd from the Jolly Old Grecian "Voice, fiddle and flute, "no longer be mute,

"I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,

"And, besides, I'll instruct you, like me, to intwine

"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

(...)

Ye Sons of Anacreon, then join hand in hand;

Preserve unanimity, friendship and love!

'Tis yours to support what's so happily plann'd;

You've the sanction of Gods and the fiat of Jove. While thus we agree Our toast let it be:

"May our club flourish happy, united and free!

"And long may the sons of Anacreon intwine

"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Anacreon_in_Heaven

Speaking of blue pills, has anyone seen the cackling mastermind who was threatening to force me to take the blue pill, leaving me stuck in a normal life in a 9 to 5 job with a normal family in a normal suburb in a "ticky tacky house" with all the other doctors and lawyers and business ex-ec-utives? Because now that I think of it, I haven't seen him since 1982, and I want to tell him that I've changed my mind.

Old Man said:

Which was better, or which was least bad?

I couldn't stop watching. One-liner density was very high.

It was a tossup. The movie only vaguely followed the book. You would have to read and watch and judge for yourself.

Book was written in 1982 by Steven King. Movie released in 1987.

The sheer awfulness of the World Cup has begun. They have Pitbull and Jennifer Lopez doing the theme song. Go to Youtube and look it up and despair !

Meh, I only watch things muted any more. And aren't the World Cup actual games like three weeks off?

I intend to watch as much of it as I can. I am by no means a football fanatic on the scale of those in South America or Europe, but I like the game.

And I am grimly hoping that USA can return the favor the Brazilians made to us in 1994, when Leonardo threw an elbow that literally broke Tab Ramos's face. This removed USA's playmaker midfielder from the field, hamstringing the offense, and putting him in the hospital for three months plus. Oh, Leonardo was red-carded and suspended for the duration of the tournament, but Brazil won the Cup anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Brazil have won 5 World Cups and been finalists twice more. Italy are the most successful European team winning 4 times and being beaten finalists twice. Germany however have won 3 times but been beaten finalists 4 times. The Netherlands are unlucky. Three losses in the final.

But from 1962 to 2006 the pattern was South America win, Europe win. This was broken by Spain who won the in 2010, succeeding Italy who had won in 2006.