Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to reading the first five issues of All-New Captain America (nee Falcon).  They alternate back and forth between completely unrelated story arcs!  How the f_k am I supposed to keep track of comics when stories are split across multiple titles and titles are split across multiple stories?!  If I'd read these one at a time I'd have been hopelessly confused.  Instead I'm just confused and annoyed.

One of the reasons I gave up. Every team has several books and story lines are sprinkled liberally through multiple titles. So even if I wasn't turned off by the crap storm that is the editorial directions and themes presented I'd not be able to afford the hobby. 

• 4 weeks later...

And then trying to change them, and then acting surprised and upset when they don't change.

Or do....

As opposed to the men, who are surprised and upset when their wives do change.

Or don't....

Lucius Alexander

I had a palindromedary before I had a wife. Now I no longer have a wife but I still have a palindromedary.

The 100th anniversary of The Gallipoli campaign has just been celebrated. I thought our Australian correspondants would have said something.

It is a couple of months off until the centenary of Henry Mosely's death at Gallipoli, one of the great losses of science. There was no Nobel Prize in either Chemistry or Physics in 1916, perhaps because the committee had already selected Mosely for one of them, but the Prize doesn't get awarded posthumously. The event also led to the policy that important scientists would not be allowed to serve on the front.

My local MP lost out in the election. However the Conservatives now have a majority and can do more or less as they please. Sadly I see this all being a repeat of John Major's government in 1992 to 1997. The Labour party was all but wiped out in Scotland but the Conservatives had nobody there so they can safely ignore what the SNP (Scottish National Party) wants to do. There won't be another referendum on Scottish Independence  until the next governement which is 5 plus years away. IF Labour had gotten in, then maybe the SNP could have done something. As it is they can ignored for good or ill. It will then have to be seen whether they can hold onto the 56 seats they won up from 6 previously. I doubt it. I see them losing half of them back to Labour and the Liberals. You will pardon me if I feel the future is gloomy for a while.

Sympathies. Seems like the ghosts of Margaret Thatcher and John Major stalk the land like two giant stalking things.

The prediction was for another coalition. Instead the Conservatives have a majority, albeit a small one. Which means a possible return to what bedevilled the Tories when in power in 1992-97. I can't see everyone else putting up any sort of coherent resistance to anything the Tories do for 5 years. Labour need to wipe out the SNP next time around. They were punished for being anti-independence last year. The ex-SNP leader said that the Scottish Lion had roared. To which the rest of the UK can say, 'big deal, you had yourchance, you blew it'.

Funny thing is John Major attacked Cameron just before the election.

Besides, the German bankers still think all the underclasses are living much too high on the hog, and everyone needs to be made to remember the Blockades and what *real* thrift and soul-building discomfort is. And what good is being a banker if you can't make everyone around you feel miserable and acknowledge your superior resources?