Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Pimping my latest literary aspiration.

The Metal Men!

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/137656-on-the-other-hand-10-the-metal-men.html

mmhdr_size3.jpg

I bought and read a few of the Metal Men comics back in the early 1960s ('63-'65). I had no idea it only started in '62. I guess I knew about the latter-day animated series, but I've never seen an episode of that.

The technical errors, some of them, I did notice back in the day (I was a terribly geeky 1st-2nd-3rd grader), but there were always lots of factual problems in comics that you chose to ignore. Case in point: faster-than-light travel is a trope, so it gets used, even though it's an utter impossibility and everyone knows it. Also, a few of your criticisms are anachronisms for that date. For example, I don't think awareness of the toxicity of mercury (or lead, for that matter) was anything like what it is now: more or less everyone got the mercury out of the vial in the classroom and played with it some back then. I know we did the literal "stepping on the mercury" thing in school as late as 1972 or '73. And tin? Below 13 Celsius it wants to be a nonmetal (see tin pest about this), so Tin ought to be wearing sweaters most of the time. Ah well...

I always wondered why they stuck to the set of elements they did. As an 8-year-old, I thought a radium Metal Man would be cool as ****, even though radium is a rather uncommon element (to get 100 kg for a piece of robot, you'd need to refine about a hundred billion tons of rock ... talk about expensive), and the radiation level it would make would be fantastically deadly. That wouldn't have mattered to me; it would have been coooooooool to have a Radium Metal Man.

Not sure if I'm back, just coming around for a quick checkup.

Just hanging out in Portland for another month, though setting up our residency for Oregon so that we have some sort of address. Will be staying in the Seattle area for about a month while the tiny house gets finished, and then hitting the road, probably end of May or in June.

Not sure if I'm back, just coming around for a quick checkup.

Just hanging out in Portland for another month, though setting up our residency for Oregon so that we have some sort of address. Will be staying in the Seattle area for about a month while the tiny house gets finished, and then hitting the road, probably end of May or in June.

I are in Portland!