Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

I remember having my daughter tell me at the end of last fall term, after I asked what my students thought of me because she had several people she knew in my Solar Systems class, her reply was, "They think you're terrifying." That was not a member of the set of words I expected or even half-expected to hear. It brought to mind Robert Burns's To a Louse.

I remember having my daughter tell me at the end of last fall term, after I asked what my students thought of me because she had several people she knew in my Solar Systems class, her reply was, "They think you're terrifying." That was not a member of the set of words I expected or even half-expected to hear. It brought to mind Robert Burns's To a Louse.

We attended a lecture -- neuro-muscular antomy of the limbs, in two parts -- and on the first day the lecturer was very abrasive and demeaning. It happened that hia daughter was in our class, and she must have had Words with him, for the next day he started the second part with "I have been informed that yesterday I came across as unusually unpleasant. I must appologize -- I was merely aiming for regularly unpleasant."

• 1 month later...

I have a new column up I wanna share :)

On The Other Hand #6 … Matter-Eater Lad

Even as a kid (I was reading LoSH back ages 7 to 9 -- that's 1963-65 for the full glorious Silver Age context) it never occurred to me that MEL had a goofy, stupid power.  (I am not sure I ever saw his origin story though; even back then my attitude was "Wait, everyone from this planet can do this?  That's not a superpower, that's a world full of people.  What dumb sort of world is it that only one of their people travels the galaxy?"  This applied to a number of Legionnaires, obviously, and I don't recall me thinking of MEL that way.)  The ability to eat anything is a novel joker of a power, letting you dispose of oddball things in an oddball way, as long you were OK with that stuff being absolutely unrecoverable.  Not real useful in classic comic-book combat, but something I definitely thought belonged on the roster with its ability to finesse your way out of some strange logical puzzles.

For comparison, in last Friday's session of a Feng Shui 2 campaign, we took a bad-guy henchman prisoner, and he proved to be resistant to our interrogation attempts.  In this campaign, I am playing Arrrgh, literally a demon from one of the Chinese hells, whom I've written about in a couple of Champions threads.  I asked offline whether we can extract more info from our captive if Arrrgh were to start biting chunks out of him literally and eating them in front of his eyes.  Our GM responded, in effect, with that will work until he dies of blood loss and you have a human body to dispose of.  To which my response was made with an in-character line: "If he dies, then I eat leftovers for a week.  I've had to do that before."  Now, how Arrrgh's fellow PCs will react to this is another question, but....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at the point where I view relationships like coffee. I must be missing something because other people love it so much, but I tried and I think it's just not for me.

Be careful. This suggests that you need more tenderizing, which true to the kitchen process of the same name, involves further repeated bludgeoning and irreversible material degradation.

• 3 weeks later...

Mightybec, on 28 Oct 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

I suppose there is a point in every man's life, when Weird Al parodies a song, and you have no idea what that song originally was, or who the artist that sung it even is...

I hit that point about 5 or 6 albums back. I haven't listened (on purpose) to much new music, since the mid-80's.

I heard a couple of tunes on iHeart radio, waited for the lyrics and then realized these were the originals, not Al's stuff. I was amazed at how they sounded exactly like his versions.

Moved to the correct thread