A cure for Drogen Lar. Deironing Ironclad, your opinions welcome

Hermit

Everyonce in awhile a player has their character really surprise you but in a good way. Let me explain the situation.

The Fabulous Four had just finished "Fatal Attractions" adventure. While the hero group is in Chicago, I put the adventure in Millennium City. The ended up having a guest appearance from Defender, and were invited to Homestead later on. One character, Brainwave, is a talented young scientist with a myriad expertise in chemistry, biology, and neurlogical stuides.

When she discovered Ironclad's story of how not all Perseid were organic metal, Brainwave became very intrigued (Scientific Curiousity is part of her nature) and eventually broached an idea to Ironclad (after asking Defender's advice) that she might, just MIGHT, with the help of the Champions, her own contacts (and Dr. Silverback as well, when Defender mentioned him) be able to reverse the process that turned Lar metalic. He could be a normal perseid again.

As a GM, I was impressed. I mean, the player just had a completely logical character roleplaying moment crop up, one that didn't just have supers sitting around reacting to the next crime. What's more, the Fabulous Four are (obviously) a homage to the Fantastic Four. This smacked of "Curing the Thing" and delighted me because of that.

However, ultimately the choice is Ironclad's. Do you think he would agree to it? And as a GM, how possible should I make this? If successful, in my gameworld, the Champions may never be the same again. Drogen might lose his powers and try to go home (and face imprisonment for desertion?), or perhaps he'd stick around and still try to fight crime. Either way, it would seem the Champions would be looking for a new brick.

Your thoughts on whether ironclad would agree to researching a cure, and for that matter, what the other Champions would think of it, are appreciated.

Re: A cure for Drogen Lar. Deironing Ironclad, your opinions welcome

Well, as far as I can see from the little description of Ironclad's personality, there's no real incentive for him to want to lose his current form. He doesn't seem to consider himself a freak or have any other Thing-like angst, and he genuinely appreciates the ability to help others that his powers give him.

The only motivation I can think of offhand would be if his metal form inhibits certain physical pleasures (fill in your own blank), but Ironclad hasn't given any indication of that, nor that he's inclined to actively pursue any opportunities at this time. Could be an interesting direction to take the character, though.

It is your game. It is your group's game. Ironclad is NO longer a published charcter, he is a part of YOUR game and what the publishers or us think really doesn't matter.

I think if the story is more dramatic, more interesting, then yes! YOUR Ironclad DESPERATELY wants to be non metallic, even if it means losing his stature as a hero, his power as a paranormal alien. It might mean retiring Ironclad from active duty (but as an alien consultant? ambassador?, why not). It means bringing in a replacement, perhaps, for the Champions... which makes YOUR Champions different than everyone elses.

I also think that saying that Ironclad ISN"T interested is a Negative reward for the player who really stepped up to a new level, a great subplot. Reward the player by continuing with this subplot... it might (and shouldn't be easy), but I think it is very cool bit.

Strictly speaking, I don't see Ironclad going for it. However, assuming you don't want to get rid of Ironclad as an active hero, a better idea would be for him to think long and hard on it, eventually agree to let him try. . .

. . .and then some emergency comes up, the Champions sans Ironclad ( who is in preparation for the procedure ) leave to deal with it, get into trouble, and before the procedure is actually started, Ironclad gets up, tearing out of the wires and tubes and stuff, running off to help save his comrades. And then, afterwards, telling the character that he's realized that, while there are some things he misses about being organic, he has discovered that there are things more important, like his ability to help others.

I would say run with it, because the player will be delighted. Don't forget (continuing the Thing analogy) this change IF it works does not have to be either stable or perminent.

I have lost count how many times Reed has seemingly found a cure for Ben but it has not lasted for whatever scientific reason.

Do the same, have it work but he still reverts back, whenever the story needs him to.

rgds

Torch

You could make it so that Lar does not desire the procedure, then while visiting the two groups are called to battle Herculan and a group of exiled aliens (possibly former Malvan Gladiators). During the fight, Ironclad is hit with a device/compound that begins to poison or break down his metallic form. Brainwave puts her mind to finding his cure, thus not invalidating her great RPing.

Does Brainwave have a boyfriend/husband? Whether she does or not you could still have the cure at least seem to work and then Lar falls in love with her (a la the Florence Nightingale Effect). If she is receptive to his advances things could go well...he accepts Storn's proposed Ambassadorial post and the two begin a true wild-wind romance...of course at some point the cure could become a curse (his Perseid physiognomy is completely alien afterall) and he becomes obsessed with spending EVERY waking moment with her or he becomes paranoid and emotionally abusive. This begins to affect her and the team for some great Roleplaying. If she does have a boyfriend/husband, can you say Perseid-Stalker???

Just my two cents, I'm sure that whatever you and your players come up with will be great.

Well, as far as I can see from the little description of Ironclad's personality, there's no real incentive for him to want to lose his current form. He doesn't seem to consider himself a freak or have any other Thing-like angst, and he genuinely appreciates the ability to help others that his powers give him.

The only motivation I can think of offhand would be if his metal form inhibits certain physical pleasures (fill in your own blank), but Ironclad hasn't given any indication of that, nor that he's inclined to actively pursue any opportunities at this time. Could be an interesting direction to take the character, though.

That's because, in my opinion, Ironclad is one of the blandest, most cardboard characters in 5th ed.

Hermit and that group have a come up with a subplot that takes that bland, cardboard and adds something quite spicy.

That's because' date=' in my opinion, Ironclad is one of the blandest, most cardboard characters in 5th ed. [/quote']

I'd have to agree. Of course, the same thing could be said for his 4E precursor, Obsidian, who had no distinctive personality traits. Maybe high-mass, alien bricks are just supposed to be boring.

I'm currently working on developing more of a personality for Ironclad in my campaign, as he and one of the PCs have a connection (she's Malvan, and he was of course among the Malvan gladiators). It's proven difficult. Most of the Champions come with clear personalities, or have them due to the way my campaign diverges from the official CU (for example, in my campaign world, the 4E Champions - Seeker, Quantum, Solitaire, etc. - all existed, and took part in the Battle of Detroit. Defender was there too, but got knocked out of the fight early, and thus was the last surviving member of his team, as the other Champions all died -along with so many others - fighting Dr. Destroyer. He's thus the grizzled veteran of the new team, who still carries lots of feelings of loss and even some survivor guilt). The one I'm really having a tough time coming up with something distinct for Ironclad.

Well, and then there's the question of why the hell Nighthawk wears that ridiculous-looking headgear...

Sounds like a great seed for stories. I had a GM that would have ran with that. As Storn wrote, this is your game and if it makes sense in your campaign world then do it. The published material can only take you so far. Also, slight changes to their personalities can occur because of experiences that they had. So while the Ironclad that started adventuring might be fine with being metal, he might slowly but surely grow tired of it, wishing of the simple pleasure of being able to hold anything in his hands without having to be amazingly careful that his casual strength would not destroy it. He might not be able to sleep in the same bed as a loved one because if he rolled over he could cripple them.

Thank you all for your input so far.

Yes, Brainwave is an item with fellow teammate (and NPC, there are only 3 players in this small group) Firepower. While I can see Ironclad falling for her, he just strikes me as too honorable to do anything save keep his attraction to himself. Impact was interested in meeting Ironclad, and a romantic situation could arise there IF the player of that character chooses to, though so far Impact is not the settling down sort.

I find myself agreeing with Storn in that I don't want to discourage Brainwave's player by simply having him shrug it off. Inititive like this should be rewarded in more ways than one. However, as others have said, there is little in Drogen's write up to suggest he wants to have his powers stripped. He likes a good fight, considers himself more invincible than he is, etc. His anger over his transformation seems to be directed more at the betrayal involved by his superiors rather than becoming a freak. That isn't to say that can't be there, but it isn't mentioned.

So, after reading all your great posts, what I'm thinking of doing is bringing in a villain. Either Interface or Cataclysm (female Dr. Doom homage) and having them find out about Brainwave's idea/plan. To any villain, the removal of a super hero is a good thing, so perhaps a few 'nudges' Drogen's way are in order. He has a code vs killing (I guess after the arena he swore "Never again") and a heavy frame. What happens if Ironclad finds himself suddenly stumbling more and causing more damage? Maybe he'll be set up to topple a wall down onto a small child nearly killing the tyke. Disgusted with himself, Drogen might indeed announce to Brainwave and the others "Do it!"

What's more, this gives which ever villain I use a chance to spy on the heroes and by doing so learn not only the reversal process, but maybe guess how to cause the initial effect. Will it work on humans? If not, oh well, what's a few more goons? If so, then voila... behold a metalic army ready to be unleashed.

Every hero MC (Or Chicago) has will be sorely needed, and there Lar now normal, may sit on the sidelines (or fight ineffectively in the fray) until someone theorizes that he holds the key to victory (Perhaps his body can naturally drain the metalic bonding from the soldiers by taking into himself, or maybe if he agrees to be altered again, the metal army is vulnerable to his attacks). Either way, the Perseid will become Ironclad again.

And Brainwave has a new reason to be furious with which ever villain for taking her attempt to help a man and turning into a manipulative grab for power.

A lot depends upon the player proposing the cure.

As to Ironclad's "honor", remember, in this guys own background he ran away from his problems twice...rather than deal with them. Just becasue a character (or person) is honorable, doesn't mean they always are that way...

I like the direction Hermit is going, but since some people may want to try it a different way...

I also like Metaphysician's idea, so will propose an alternate to it:

The cure is a series of 3 treatments, administered a few days apart.

First Treatment

When Ironclad is immersed in the chemical solution and bombarded with the "DeIronic Rays", he reverts back to his normal Persiad form.

Overjoyed at being able to touch and feel again, Ironclad embarks upon a whirlwind tour of the Earth, determined to experience everything. He goes to the beach, looses a bunch of money in Vegas, and goes skydiving. In short, acts like he has no responsibilities at all...

Second Treatment

A slightly intoxicated Ironclad (in normal Persiad form) shows up, for the treatment. Having learned of his normality, one of his enemies shows up (Firewing, VIPER). During the fight, Ironclad hides...and discovers to his shame, that he has become a coward without his invulnerability. The players have to beat up the villain for him. (Note: If going with Hermit's idea of a villain stealing the process, this is a good place to have them show up)

He considers not going through the second stage, but decides to. A slightly more somber Ironclad leaves, and isn't seen for several days. During this time, the Champions attempt to locate him, for some strange reason.

Third Treatment

Ironclad shows up again, eating a bunch of junk food. He seems slightly depressed, and seems anxious to get the whole thing over with. Just as he is about to go into the Chemical bath again, and get bombarded by all those groovy rays, the Champions contact him again.

In classic FF fashion, alien invaders are threatening the Earth again, and the Champions need Ironclad to fly their V-Jet. Knowing that stopping the treatment at this stage would cause him to return to being metallic, Ironclad uses this excuse to escape from the treatment and join his friends.

Aftermath

Ironclad returns to his metallic state, slightly more knowledgable about humanity and himself.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Thought: Maybe he'd ask for the ability to turn it off and on instead?

I mean, he likes having superpowers, but always having them can be a bit of a bummer. So an on/off switch.

Thought: Maybe he'd ask for the ability to turn it off and on instead?

I mean, he likes having superpowers, but always having them can be a bit of a bummer. So an on/off switch.

I had thought of that one myself, but it seemed a bit TOO advanced for even Dr. Silverback's techniques... I did think perhaps, as sort of a karmic reward for his sacrafice the ablity to do so might develop from the second infusion/empowerment. After all, by now in my campaign the champs have a few Exp points (Yeah, I try to assume the NPCs of the world are growing some as well).. so maybe Ironclad will be able to buy down the frequency of his physical limitations to reflect this.

Then again, I like Colosus so was thinking maybe I'd gotten biased :)

Guest WhammeWhamme

I had thought of that one myself, but it seemed a bit TOO advanced for even Dr. Silverback's techniques... I did think perhaps, as sort of a karmic reward for his sacrafice the ablity to do so might develop from the second infusion/empowerment. After all, by now in my campaign the champs have a few Exp points (Yeah, I try to assume the NPCs of the world are growing some as well).. so maybe Ironclad will be able to buy down the frequency of his physical limitations to reflect this.

Then again, I like Colosus so was thinking maybe I'd gotten biased :)

Pts wise, this would put limitations on his powers, so it's probably a net saving.

And I'm sure we can technobabble our way through this... :D

Giving it more thought, I don't see Ironclad being against the research, per se. Even if he doesn't want it now, he might expect to retire some day and try to lead a normal life. Knowing it can be done might be a great thing. One day, he might want to take that magic pill.

It does open up other interesting plots. For example, a villain learns of it and tries to steal the research or manages to use it against him. Does Ironclad then work to be returned to his metal state to do good? Does he end up with two formulae to allow him to change back and forth? Does his system develop an immunity to it after a few applications meaning he eventually gets stuck in one form or another? Does his desire to do good weigh heavily against any sort of desire to be normal?

You can also have DEFENDER create a Battlesuit that mimics Ironclads original abilities, while alowing him to remain Normal. Then you could follow through on the Reversion Sub-Plot, the Mad Scientist Transforming him back Sub-Plot, and the "Granted" abilities Sub-Plot.

One of the players in my campaign like his characters background and personality, but not his Powers. He was "Granted" abiltities by a Mystic Master Supervillian and created a new form. It was a great RP experience. I had tricked the player into telling me how he would build the character now and then set up an adventure where it happened.

Cheers

QM

You can also have DEFENDER create a Battlesuit that mimics Ironclads original abilities, while alowing him to remain Normal. Then you could follow through on the Reversion Sub-Plot, the Mad Scientist Transforming him back Sub-Plot, and the "Granted" abilities Sub-Plot.

QM

Now that's VERY Thing and Reed like, I remember when Reed made a cured Ben a rocky exoskeleton. :) Thanks

Or for the ideal solution, it can turn out that the mutating effects of being encased in living metal have also engendered a genetic residue sub-effect of [insert comic book technobabble here], allowing spontaneous mentally-triggered reversion and remission!

Or, to put it in plainer terms, Ironclad gets his abilities back -- but now he's like Colossus, and goes from 'metal' to 'normal' form at will, and back again.

Hey, it's comics. Happy ending! :)

Everyonce in awhile a player has their character really surprise you but in a good way. Let me explain the situation.

The Fabulous Four had just finished "Fatal Attractions" adventure. While the hero group is in Chicago, I put the adventure in Millennium City. The ended up having a guest appearance from Defender, and were invited to Homestead later on. One character, Brainwave, is a talented young scientist with a myriad expertise in chemistry, biology, and neurlogical stuides.

When she discovered Ironclad's story of how not all Perseid were organic metal, Brainwave became very intrigued (Scientific Curiousity is part of her nature) and eventually broached an idea to Ironclad (after asking Defender's advice) that she might, just MIGHT, with the help of the Champions, her own contacts (and Dr. Silverback as well, when Defender mentioned him) be able to reverse the process that turned Lar metalic. He could be a normal perseid again.

As a GM, I was impressed. I mean, the player just had a completely logical character roleplaying moment crop up, one that didn't just have supers sitting around reacting to the next crime. What's more, the Fabulous Four are (obviously) a homage to the Fantastic Four. This smacked of "Curing the Thing" and delighted me because of that.

However, ultimately the choice is Ironclad's. Do you think he would agree to it? And as a GM, how possible should I make this? If successful, in my gameworld, the Champions may never be the same again. Drogen might lose his powers and try to go home (and face imprisonment for desertion?), or perhaps he'd stick around and still try to fight crime. Either way, it would seem the Champions would be looking for a new brick.

Your thoughts on whether ironclad would agree to researching a cure, and for that matter, what the other Champions would think of it, are appreciated.

I think a OIHID would be a cool idea for him personaly

• 3 weeks later...

Update, Brainwave's player has been spending most of her earned exp. points in... you guessed it, her Science Skills ;)

The group has returned to Chicago, and is at the the "Under Construction" part of the storyline. This gives me time to have certain things start to unravel for Drogen if I so choose :eg: