National Warrior Archetypes

Pegasus

I'm looking for the warrior archetype that best represents every country. I can only think of a few, and as always they are open to debate. I already have the easy ones, so I need some input from those who are more historically gifted than I. Here's how I'm starting:

America: Cowboy

Japan: Shogun

England: Knight

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: National Warrior Archetypes

I'm looking for the warrior archetype that best represents every country. I can only think of a few, and as always they are open to debate. I already have the easy ones, so I need some input from those who are more historically gifted than I. Here's how I'm starting:

Aztec warriors in Mexico.

Zulu warriors in parts of Africa.

Vikings in scandinavian countries.

Drug lords in Columbia. Oh, wait. Sorry, my stereotypes ran away with me.

France- Jean Paul Sartre

Germany - Skinny white guy in skin-tight black jeans and a turtle-neck. Monkey optional.

America - 450+ pound woman in skin-tight green pants and a pink halter top. At least 35 pounds of bodyweight consists of hair.

Japan - a small group of bone skinny sararimen in grey business suits. Wearing panties as face-masks optional.

England - Angry skinny college kids. Beer mandatory.

Australia - Widely grinning scuzzy beach-bum types. Beer inseparable.

Russia - Skinny, muscular yet unhealthy balding middle aged men in t-shirts and jeans. Vodka bottles actually form part of arm.

How about the native American warrior?

The archetypical image of the American Indian Warrior would be a Plains tribesman in war paint on the back of his Horse and kicking #@$! An image so ingrained, that other tribes not of the plains end up groaning when some hollywood movie has all indians of ANY Tribe depicted as living in teepees... again!

I know at least one Cherokee who would like to slap a few Hollywood writers :)

Canada's warrior archetype would obviously be the Mountie. The strong competent men of the law who never rest untill they catch their crook. Decked out in the classic red uniform of course, even though that hasn't been worn for actual field work for a century or so I think, now it's just a dress uniform. Oh and they're always completely polite at all times.

Japan should be "samurai." The Shogun was just the military dictator.

Knights are fairly archetypical for England, France, Spain, Germany, and any country with a strong history of feudalism and chivalry. However, the English longbowman was fairly archetypical for a while. Also, the Swiss pikeman and/or halberder would be a good choice, and from the same time period, the German Landsknechte (lit. "servant of the country") would be a good fit.

Italy could also use the Roman soldier, who's become almost a stereotype in his lorica segmetata, tower shield, helm, short sword, spear, and sandals.

The Beduin in robes with scimitar and long rifle is another good one for North Africa, as well as the Zulu warrior for southern Africa.

America's warrior archetype I think is the GI, who's rough looking, worn, tired, and fights like hell when needed. Summed up by that classic duo, Willie and Joe.

The archetypical image of the American Indian Warrior would be a Plains tribesman in war paint on the back of his Horse and kicking #@$! An image so ingrained, that other tribes not of the plains end up groaning when some hollywood movie has all indians of ANY Tribe depicted as living in teepees... again!

I know at least one Cherokee who would like to slap a few Hollywood writers :)

Just one?

Of course, you want some wrath from the Red Man, go and ask Indians what they think of the New Age and 'plastic medicine men'.

Myself, when it comes to the North American Indian warrior, I tend to think Pacific Northwest, the Apache ("If you don't think an Apache can tell right from wrong -- just wrong one, and see what happens."), and the Mississipians, who deserve waaay more exposure that they've ever gotten.

I have a few ideas

America: Native American Warrior...not that I have any problem with cowboys or marines but they were here 1st and they exemplify what this country is about as they were truly a free people.

Scotland: Celtic warrior, weaing of course traditional kilt and wielding a claymore

Guest Major Tom

Let's not forget Korea's version of the wandering Chinese knight -- the Hwarang

(not sure if that's the correct spelling or not).

I think Australia's warrior archetype would probably be the Bushman (remember

the scene towards the end of Quigley Down Under? One moment, the hills

around where Quigley's having his standoff with the Brits are empty, then the

next, the Bushmen've pulled their own version of the Rorke's Drift scene from

Zulu and have surrounded everybody).

Major Tom :bmk: