The New Circle

OddHat

Re: The New Circle

Heres an NPC I came up with for Worldsmaker Global Guardians http://www.globalguardians.com.

I came up with the background and a character sheet, then Jack and the NPC guys promptly took that mess of an attempt and rebuilt him much more elegantly for I have to thank him greatly.

Black Lion is intended as a slightly sympathic, honourable villian who's out pursuing his own goals. That and being a fun foil against any swordsman/knights out there as he's willing to challenge them to single combat.

Heck I'd run him straight up in a fantasy hero game as a uber villian the charaters have to defeat in some climatic battle.

For higher level verisions I'd add a magic multipower filled with some classic death knight/anti paladin type powers like plagues, death touches etc as his main new power boost. That and buff him out in terms of stats, skills, and DCs.

This brings me to the mystic villian of the night, Black Lion

blacklion.php

Cheers, David

PS: How exactly do I imbed a webpage into a post like you've been doing Killer Shrike.

Interesting character' date=' but wouldn't it go more simply with a Multiform?[/quote']

I think that Multiform was not used for one or more of the following reasons:

1. The character is insane 24/7 and there is no "base form" to tranform to/from.
  2. The character is actually two characters who are twins with powers that work in nearly opposite conditions.
  3. Multiform almost requires a "base form" to be logical and based on either of the first 2 options it doesn't really fit them. A third form seems odd too.

HM

Guest Skaramine

Well' date=' technically speaking, a Multiform's 'base form' *can* be of equal point value to its alternate one... or just 1-2 points higher...[/quote']

But the first two considerations skew the "multiform" complex.

'Sides... I ain't hot on Multiform.

Well' date=' technically speaking, a Multiform's 'base form' *can* be of equal point value to its alternate one... or just 1-2 points higher...[/quote']

True, but based on the special effects of the powers for the character(s) it is highly unlikely that the GM would really need to run both characters at any one time (assuming that they are "twins"). I think this particular writeup was done in a sort of GM's shorthand. Assuming it is just one character, the switch is not really under the character's control since it is just a reaction to day/night/moonlight conditions. As such it doesn't appear to be an example of how to build a player character. It is a NPC. As such it is probably the simplist way to describe the character in one writeup where space might be an issue (the posted character is actually a link to Killer Shrike's website which must surely have space issues from time to time)

HM

Guest Skaramine

True' date=' but based on the special effects of the powers for the character(s) it is highly unlikely that the GM would really need to run both characters at any one time (assuming that they are "twins"). I think this particular writeup was done in a sort of GM's shorthand. Assuming it is just one character, the switch is not really under the character's control since it is just a reaction to day/night/moonlight conditions. As such it doesn't appear to be an example of how to build a [u']player[/u] character. It is a NPC. As such it is probably the simplist way to describe the character in one writeup where space might be an issue (the posted character is actually a link to Killer Shrike's website which must surely have space issues from time to time)

HM

Though, if the guy falls on the ground at the demarcation line at noon during a full solar eclipse...

Well... splitting headache radiation accident city, here we come...

I think that Multiform was not used for one or more of the following reasons:
  1. The character is insane 24/7 and there is no "base form" to tranform to/from.
  2. The character is actually two characters who are twins with powers that work in nearly opposite conditions.
  3. Multiform almost requires a "base form" to be logical and based on either of the first 2 options it doesn't really fit them. A third form seems odd too.

HM

Yup. The character is fight club esque -- one body, two distinct personalities, each w/ different ability sets.

I thought it might be interesting to do it as one character with an EC and limited abilities rather than Multiform as an experiment. Villain by day, hero by night. Seemed amusing as well to have the night form trying to track down the criminal day form -- reminded me of the end portion of FC.

Theoretically, if the character ever came to grips w/ his problem (plot element), and the disads of one or the other form were bought off, you'd have one very powerful character on your hands, an impressive force for either law or crime, depending on which personality become dominant.

True' date=' but based on the special effects of the powers for the character(s) it is highly unlikely that the GM would really need to run both characters at any one time (assuming that they are "twins"). I think this particular writeup was done in a sort of GM's shorthand. Assuming it is just one character, the switch is not really under the character's control since it is just a reaction to day/night/moonlight conditions. As such it doesn't appear to be an example of how to build a [u']player[/u] character. It is a NPC.

Correct.

As such it is probably the simplist way to describe the character in one writeup where space might be an issue (the posted character is actually a link to Killer Shrike's website which must surely have space issues from time to time)

HM

Actually, space is not an issue. I have many gigabytes to spare.

Though, if the guy falls on the ground at the demarcation line at noon during a full solar eclipse...

Well... splitting headache radiation accident city, here we come...

That would be an interesting plot point, and might be the beginning of Halvor realizing the truth about Harold.

To be clear however, Harold doesnt take control every day; he comes out every once in a while. He might come out three days in a row, and he might stay submerged for a few months at a time.

It also depends on what Halvor's sleep schedule is like. Though typically nocturnal, if Halvor is up during the day a lot it prevents Harold from coming out -- he only comes out when Halvor is asleep during the day.

Make it a mystical Braniac parrallel and post away!

It's a bored dimensional conqueror who moonlights as a superhero in this dimension to pass the time. Half the points are for perks which only come in to play in his own dimension. He has a set of shtick powers in a MP, a massive VPP which is much harder to use outside of his home dimension, and a giant adamantite colossus that he "pilots" inside(it looks like a spartan warrior clad in Hellenized plate)--his "Machina". His weaknesses, aside from susceptibility to boredom, are that he was abused as a child deity, and tends to collapse when physically assaulted by any powerful male foe; that almost all of his active powers require him to gesture with his hands and fingers, and thus a simple entangle could disable him; and that his machina is too huge to be useful in many situations, requiring him to do without its formidable protection.

I've gone through two writeups already, and was working on the "final" version when my newer PC crashed :(

Missed this post previously.

Overall, I like Gentleman Jim. Interesting background, maybe not a character I'd use "as is", but he could be an interesting adversary for a Champs session.

Looking at the character critically, he's tough , but not unstoppable.

If the PCs go by the brute-force angle. GJ's desolid is vulnerable to psionics, which means a classic "psychokinesis" type character could grab him with a 20 str TK (GJ's Str is 15) and GJ would have a difficult time escaping (no t-port) and his HKA and martial arts would be useless. At this point you'd just have to carry him to a church or holy site (assuming the PCs knew about this limit) and he's done. In a mystics style game, I would expect that at least one character would have a VPP and probably be able to rationalize and whip up a magical entangle that affects desolids.

I think Killer Shrike intended GJ to be used with a certain degree of subtlety and not intended for a knock-down drag-out fight ala Grond.

True

In HeroSphere, GK would definitely "wreck shop". The only real danger with a character like this, is that a that a newbie GM might see GJ and throw him(unedited) at a party that couldn't deal with him. I think this was what ChuckG was concerned about. In any case, that's not Killer Shrike's concern and frankly, there've been much nastier characters posted on this board.

Again, excellent character and I might use a slightly modified version in a silver-age villain group (Legion of Doom, Masters of Evil hybrid)

Glad to hear you like it.

Some points gathered from the preceeding many pages of commentary

a) Perhaps Ill change "Dangerous Ghostly Scoundrel" in the Campaign use section to very explicitly state "Dangerous Ghostly Scoundrel -- to be used with caution vs higher pointed characters".

B) The Inivis will be amended with a note: "Visible to Detect Spirits/Souls/Ghosts, Regardless Of SFX" as a 0 Point lim.

c) Amoral will be clarified to read Amoral Swashbuckler Mentality (as opposed to the anti-hero Swashbuckler Mentality of Robin Hood styled characters), so that it is obvious rather than inferred.

A mystic PC from an old Campaign that might be of use.

Sin

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6 HTH damage

28 DEX 54 15- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

20 CON 20 13-

12 BODY 4 11-

12 INT 2 11- PER Roll 11-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

26 COM 8 14-

8 PD 6 Total: 8/20 PD (0/12 rPD)

8 ED 4 Total: 8/20 ED (0/12 rED)

5 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

6 REC 0

40 END 0

35 STUN 8 Total Characteristics Cost: 153

Movement: Run: 6"/NC"

Swim: 2"/NC"

Cost Powers END

36 Devil Skin: Armor (12 PD/12 ED)

7 Demon Blood: Life Support , Longevity: Immortal, Safe in Intense Heat

14 Succubus Kiss: Transfer 2d6 (Body to Body), Can Transfer Maximum Of 22 Points (35 Active Points); Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power:Skin contact required Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) 3

16 Devil's Blessing: Luck 4d6 (20 Active Points); An ally gains 4d6 Unluck when invoked Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)

60 Black Magic: Variable Power Pool, 40 base + 20 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available:Black Magic Only Limited (-1/2)

30 Pandemonium: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: (60 Active Points); OAF (-1)

3u 1) Blade Edge: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

2u 2) Hellfire Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4) 6

2u 3) Summon Demon Swarm: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Backlash (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Limited Power:Power moves at 10' Per Segment and can be attacked Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Extra Time Delayed Phase (-1/4) 6

1u 4) Blood Tracking: Mind Scan 9d6 (45 Active Points); Neither Character nor Target Can Attack Through Link (-1), Limited Class Of Minds:Humans Only Subset of a class (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Must have drawn blood on target Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) 4

2u 5) Hell Gate: Teleportation 16", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (59 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Side Effects: Characters take 3d6 Ego Attack, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power -1/2) 6

2u 6) Hell Gate: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Side Effects: Characters take 3d6 Ego Attack, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power -1/2) 6

Martial Arts: Heavy Weapons Sword Fighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 1) Overhand Chop -2 +1 STR +4d6 Strike

4 2) Slash +0 +2 STR +2d6 Strike

4 3) Thrust +2 +0 STR +2d6 Strike

5 4) Lunging Strike +1 +0 STR +v/5; FMove

5 5) Defensive Parry +1 +3 Block, Abort

Perks

5 Money: Well Off

30 Follower (x20, 25 Base, 25 Disad)

Skills

6 PS Sorceress (EGO-based) 16-

3 Persuasion 14-

4 KS: Demonologyy 13-

5 KS: Occultism 14-

6 AK: Hell 15-

7 Seduction 16-

1 Streetwise 8-

7 Interrogation 16-

9 +3 with Swords

16 +2 with All Combat

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 297

Total Cost: 450

300+ Disadvantages

15 Distinctive Features: Disturbing feeling, Extreme beauty (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Demonic Magical Aura (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)

10 Hunted: The Forces of Heaven 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Viper 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

25 Susceptibility: Holy Ground 3d6 damage, per Phase (Uncommon)

5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Angelic Powerse (Uncommon)

5 Reputation: Dangerous Vigilante 8-

10 Reputation: Demon Queen 11- (Extreme (Known Only To A Small Group))

20 Hunted: Her "Husband" 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)

15 Psychological Limitation: Thrill Seeker (Common; Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Cold and self centered (Common; Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Thinks nothing of using Lethal force (Common; Moderate)

5 Physical Limitation: Someone unaware of how the "real" world works (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)

Total Disadvantage Points: 450

Background: “Father, why is there evil?†Maria Sertis asked her voice quiet and respectful. She realized the near blasphemy of the question but it felt necessary, particularly now.

â€Because without darkness they light fades to meaningless. Without shadow there is no contrast. All things must balance.†He answered, just as softly and kissed his daughter on the lips. “Do you understand?â€

She smiled and nodded. How could she have questioned? Assured of her purpose, Maria lay back, the stone cold against her naked back and waited. The dagger fell. There was light, pain then a sensation of falling as the voices of the coven thundered in her ears, fading as she young Maria plummeted into Hell.

Maria lost her name along with her soul. She no longer needed it. All she needed was her new husband and master, a prince of Hell. He molded the girl in his image and empowered her, granting her black and damned blade to use in his name. She was his lover, his guard and executioner. She hunted down his enemies and spread fear among the damned souls of the pit. She reveled in the power and glory of it, truly finding herself at home for the first time.

Then she was called before her demonic mate. His anger was great, but not directed at her. Several powerful, evil souls had escaped their prison and made it back into the mortal world. Each of these 13 souls had taken a small piece of artifact whose combined power could tip the balance of power in Hell. And destroy even a demon prince. But, the woman once known as Maria was no demon prince though she had nearly their power.

“I am sending you back.†He caresses her cheek, claws drawing thin bloody welts down her pale flesh. She shivered in pain and purred at the pleasure. “You must find them for me. I entrust you with that task.â€

“Of course, my Lord,†the woman once known as Maria whispered, looking forward to the thrill of the hunt already. “I will do it, but how? My mortal life ended and it is not in the power of the Dark Lords to create life…â€

He chuckled and the temple/fortress shook. “Don’t humans have a saying? Rules are meant to be broken?†And so he reached into her chest and drew out her whimpering, pulsing essence…

Nine months later, in the same temple to darkness Maria has been sent to her reward years ago another girl lay, trembling and naked, on the same blood darkened slab. She screamed as well but it was not a death cry, but cries of life, of labor. And Maria reentered the world in blood, born from this girl’s womb, in a tiny body created just for this purpose. Created in an act of base, loveless lust and warded to remain soulless the infant frame made the perfect vessel for Maria’s rebirth. It would have to grow, but what were a few short years to the immortal Dark Lords?

She grew up quickly and strong, schooled in the mystic arts by her “husband’s†cult as well combat by various tutors. On her 18th birthday she was presented with yet another gift, her black blade Pandemonium or at least a version of it. Pandemonium existed in many realms and times, each version a shadow of the true weapon which did truly exist yet, but its evil was so powerful it echoed throughout time and space. Taking this a sign, she began her mission, taking the name “Sin†as an ironic joke; she began to comb the underworld searching for the escaped souls. Sin become known as a somewhat violent vigilante crimefighter and she kept up the image as it made things a bit easier, and she enjoyed notoriety.

Sin’s mission brought her into conflict with Los Angeles Knights fairly quickly. One of her targets was shared by the super team and she couldn’t hope to best them all at once. So Sin joined them, with the intent of betraying them. The target escaped and she remains with the Knights for the possible assistance they could provide. And, though she is loathe to admit it, part of her enjoys having the first human companionship she’s had that wasn’t either terrified or worshipful. She has also come to enjoy their shared battles and “adventure†along with other pleasures of the world. The adulation and respect of the masses feels good. Ironically, Sin has become “corrupted†and when her hellish lord and master realizes this, things will become very intense very quickly.

Powers: Sin is a powerful sorceress, skilled with occult magics and dark spells. She’s able to come up with enchantment to suit almost her every whim and has a few innate spells cast on her person that protect her and allow her siphon the life energies of others to heal herself. Her “Devil’s Luck†is a blessing is from her dark master and grants her good fortune, but only at the cost of another when she choose to activate it. Pandemonium is a deadly weapon her hand, able to slice threw most mundane defenses, strike directly at a target’s soul, follow any being it has drawn blood from and cut up a gate to Hell itself to either allow a small swarm of demons to escape or let its wielder by pass physical distance.

Personality: Sin is calculating and cool headed. She is always looking for an angle or advantage in battle or life itself. Most of what made Maria human has faded, but its beginning to awaken with the more exposure she has to the real world. She occasionally smiles and laughs honestly out of glee rather than malicious amusement and feel such things as compassion and empathy. These moments confuse and, to a degree, frighten her.

Quote: “What evil lies in the hearts of men? Let’s have a look at yours and see...â€

Notes: Sin's Followers are various flunkies, cultist and worshippers. Her Transfer is built using a House Rule that Attributes raised to starting levels do not fade. It would have to be rebuilt into a more complicated construct to be "tournament legal" in Fifth Edition.

Yup. The character is fight club esque -- one body' date=' two distinct personalities, each w/ different ability sets.[/quote']

So, does STUN & BODY &tc. damage carry over from one to the other when Sol & Nocture switch?

Also, I think a Braniac analog is a good suggestion -- the New Circle's rogues' gallery needs to be expanded. Although perhaps with a few lower-point villains (which pseudo-Brainiac isn't likely to be...).

Re: big post

But here's the list I put together of the characters. I doubt I'll have time to update this as more are posted - so I'll attach the .txt file of this list if anyone else wants to do so.

Okay, let's see if I get this right this time...

Last night, from my home computer, all those links to individual posts were working fine. Today, from work, I get an error message trying to pull up the individual posts from the links.

Anyone else have that problem?

And any suggestions on how to edit the url's to fix it?

Thanks.

edit: And now they all work again, for no discernable reason. Computers are weird.