DEX is used too much

Guest taxboy4

Guest taxboy4

I love Fantasy Hero as a system (I bombard our city's RPG discussion board with my praise :)) but I think DEX is used too much.

We should have Agility and Quickness that make up the DEX skill.

Agility for how agile you are and...

Quickness for your reflex speed.

Its common to be quick but not necessarily agile.

I don't like how Dex is the sole base skill to affect base OCV and DCV. I want thieves (for example) to be agile etc without having a base OCV of 6 or 7!!!

Why can't Intelligent affect OCV or intelligence?

btw, i really hate hit points and love how FH does Body and Stun

Re: DEX is used too much

One way you could go is with Lightning Reflexes.

Gives your characters "effective" dex's for going first in a phase but other then that they have to buy everything else through skill levels.

(I personally like this idea since, especially in a Heroic/Fantasy game, your characters should be SKILLED not just have raw physical abilitiy).

We should have Agility and Quickness that make up the DEX skill.

I don't like how Dex is the sole base skill to affect base OCV and DCV. I want thieves (for example) to be agile etc without having a base OCV of 6 or 7!!!

I see your point but I really do not want more stats than Hero already has. Also, if we start breaking up DEX (Agility, Eye-Hand Cordination, Manual Dexterity and Quickness) then we would have to break up the other stats as well Reasoning, Knowledge, Education, ect.

If you would like your thieves to be agile without having an OCV of 7, but Skill Levels for all DEX related skills for 5pts instead of DEX itself. This may not seem obvious at first if you are coming from the assumption that Skill Levels explicitly mean training/experience. Just chalk it up as agility without combat effectiveness.

I am curious why you do not want an agile thief to have a good Combat Value? For me, the high DEX = Good CV is perfect for simulating the lightly armored, wily theif.

Guest taxboy4

I'm not saying I don't want a theif to have a good CV but by having Dex as a primary stat to generate his "clas" skills he is by default damn good with all weapons.

Simply by having high dex.

I'm thinking about leaving dex as is for all dex skills etc but having a different way to calc cv's - maybe unlink them in total from Dex - tho then I'd need to cheapen Dex cost down a little.

Ahhh this is a big a problem as Bloody Block.

Huh?

I am still not understanding why this is a problem. Anyone with a high DEX has good OCV/DCV. Of course they still need to buy weapon familiarities or they are at -3 with any weapons. Granted with a 7 OCV/DCV this still gives them a 4 OCV vrs. someone with a 10 DEX and weapon familiarity for a 3 OCV.

Give your thieves +2 Skill Levels with All DEX related skills for 10pts and leave their DEX at 10. Now all their 'class' skills are the same, but they are not as combat effective nor as fast. This is a lot easier than trying to change the game mechanics of DEX and trying to balance cost.

How long have you been playing Hero? Did you mostly play D&D before Hero? The reason I ask is because this sounds like you want to model D&D classes more closely where thieves are less effective in combat than fighters. If that is the feel you are going for I really think you should give the Skill Levels a try.

Re: Huh?

I agree with most of the other comments above. Even if you're trying to model D&D, how much does a fighter have over a thief as a starting character anyway?

Well, the fighter has a base attack bonus of +1, where the thief has 0. That's easily viewed as +1 OCV for the fighter. The thief ih D&D gets no bonus to hit from DEX, but the thief in Hero gets a bonus to hit, so there is a difference there, but the Hero fighter can buy, say, two levels with OCV only in HTH combat for 6 points. After the "speed rebate", that's what the thief spent on +3 DEX to get +1 OCV and DCV.

Remember that D&D blends two things into the chances to hit. It includes the combat skill thatenables both fighter and thief to connect (raw and trained skill, so DEX and levels in Hero terms) AND the likelihood of puncturing the target's armor/defenses (in Hero, this is damage and defenses, separate from the roll to hit). The thief is quite good at the former (assuming a high DEX)., but generally low STR and lightly armed, so he'll hit a heavily armored opponent, but his attack will often bounce off those defenses. A hit that does no damage, in Hero terms, but a miss in D&D terms.

If your concern is that DEX alone makes a thief too good in combat, maybe the answer is to make non-thieves better in combat.

In other words, sure a high-DEX thief may have a base OCV of 6 or 7, but maybe you tell him he can't buy any Combat Skill Levels (because combat isn't his specialty). But the lower-DEX warrior, who only has a base OCV of 4 or 5, can buy several Combat Skill Levels with his favored weapons, resulting in a final OCV of 8 or 9.

Defensively, the nimble thief has (and should have) a higher base DCV. But the warrior might wear armor that gives him more DEF and a use a shield that helps improve his DCV.

Guest taxboy4

If your concern is that DEX alone makes a thief too good in combat, maybe the answer is to make non-thieves better in combat.

In other words, sure a high-DEX thief may have a base OCV of 6 or 7, but maybe you tell him he can't buy any Combat Skill Levels (because combat isn't his specialty). But the lower-DEX warrior, who only has a base OCV of 4 or 5, can buy several Combat Skill Levels with his favored weapons, resulting in a final OCV of 8 or 9.

Defensively, the nimble thief has (and should have) a higher base DCV. But the warrior might wear armor that gives him more DEF and a use a shield that helps improve his DCV.

Good thoughts all but

1) Even tho i grew up on AD&D I detest its inflexibility , and don't get me started on Levels, hit points etc etc!! I do still think in rough class groupings tho :)

2) Answer me this, why should someone with good dex be better at fighting - attack, I understand might (should) be better at avoiding getting hit - I'm not convinced OCV and DCV should be linked to the same characteristic.

3) I have been playing Hero for about 18 months and love the game but it still isn't perfect

4) The idea re Thives having 10 DEx and buying +2 for all DEx skills for 10 points is a good idea but taking it to a logical conclusion why not unhook a lot of other things from dex and make them skill based purchases - for a very flexible system I think DEx is not that flexible - affects way too much.

2) Answer me this' date=' why should someone with good dex be better at fighting - attack, I understand might (should) be better at avoiding getting hit - I'm not convinced OCV and DCV should be linked to the same characteristic.[/quote']

I'm quite in favour of using dexterity to hit an opponent (one of my many qualms with D&D/D20). I feel it should be so because the attack roll (in HERO, as well as other games using the same logic for dex to hit) represents you connecting your weapon with the other guy. This is purely a contest between how quick you are with the weapon and how quick he is in moving away. Now, obviously, training has a big effect on the outcome here (on both sides), but at its core level it's a contest of speed.

Now' date=' obviously, training has a big effect on the outcome here (on both sides), but at its core level it's a contest of speed.[/quote']

DEX to some extent equalss natural, untrained skill. Levels show training.

TO TAXBOY4: What stat would you suggest replace DEX for OCV determination? In D&D, it would be STR, but that's becaudse STR punches through armor, not because it makes it easier to connect with a dodging target. CON, BOD, EGO, PRE, COM? Clearly not. Someone had suggested INT, but is being smarter equivalent to being better in combat? And now we have wizards with OCV superior to warriors.

DEX is the only relevant stat for OCV. Having faster reaction time and better eye-hand co-ordination logically assists in both avoiding attacks by others and landing blows on others trying to avoid being hit. [Even D&D acknowledges this half way by making DEX relevant in missile fire.]

DEX is really the only thing that does outright represent agility and quickness; splitting the two becomes a matter of buying things like Lightning Reflexes or Skill Levels. As a side-note, I actually think of Speed as 'reflex time'; how often you get to react to the environment around you.

Heck, you could even have a thief who took a Psychological Limitation: Panics In Combat, CVs are halved, so that 20 DEX only gets him a 4. This definitely screws his survivability, though, since his DCV is likely his only defense, where a 14 DEX fighter can be wearing armor, *and* can use the points that a thief spends on 'thiefing skills' on Martial Arts and Combat Levels.

2) Answer me this' date=' why should someone with good dex be better at fighting - attack, I understand might (should) be better at avoiding getting hit - I'm not convinced OCV and DCV should be linked to the same characteristic.[/quote']

I've toyed with the idea of breaking up DEX into Agility and Coordination, with the former determining DCV and the latter with OCV (at least for missile weapons).

3) I have been playing Hero for about 18 months and love the game but it still isn't perfect

That's for sure.

4) The idea re Thives having 10 DEx and buying +2 for all DEx skills for 10 points is a good idea but taking it to a logical conclusion why not unhook a lot of other things from dex and make them skill based purchases - for a very flexible system I think DEx is not that flexible - affects way too much.

One of the ancient unresolved debates about the Hero system is the importance of DEX. DEX is hooked into OCV, DCV, SPD, and a good number of skills, and as such it's a really good deal for 3 character points.

Guest taxboy4

DEX to some extent equalss natural, untrained skill. Levels show training.

TO TAXBOY4: What stat would you suggest replace DEX for OCV determination? In D&D, it would be STR, but that's becaudse STR punches through armor, not because it makes it easier to connect with a dodging target. CON, BOD, EGO, PRE, COM? Clearly not. Someone had suggested INT, but is being smarter equivalent to being better in combat? And now we have wizards with OCV superior to warriors.

DEX is the only relevant stat for OCV. Having faster reaction time and better eye-hand co-ordination logically assists in both avoiding attacks by others and landing blows on others trying to avoid being hit. [Even D&D acknowledges this half way by making DEX relevant in missile fire.]

I toy with not having any base stat and only skill base but that doesn't allow for natural attributes - I suspect I prefer a mix of stats - not just Dex

It might be helpful to examine DEX's effect on the DCV of a Thief vs. the effect for a Fighter. A Fighter wearing armor and a helmet will have problems that the Thief will not:

• encumberance from heavy armor can lower DCV
  • helmets may impair perception (sight and/or hearing) and unperceived attacks will lower your DCV (-1 to 1/2 DCV)

This is where the distinction between Thieves and Fighters gets very fuzzy when using the HERO system. It is primarily a distinction of how the characters are played instead of what "class" they are.

And not to disregard OCV. The same high DEX Theif might have a great base OCV and even the weapon familiarity to use that Great Sword but if he doesn't have the minimum STR he will lose OCV accordingly.

2) Answer me this, why should someone with good dex be better at fighting - attack, I understand might (should) be better at avoiding getting hit - I'm not convinced OCV and DCV should be linked to the same characteristic.

On point 2, you and I will have to agree to disagree. I believe DEX reflects agility and eye hand coordination and should be the base for hitting and avoiding being hit. This has never really been a problem for me since 'fighters' just load up on DEX and/or Combat Skill Levels.

On point 4, many agree that DEX is too cheap. Of course many argue that a few other stats are too cheap as well.

If you want to take the time to break out DEX and rebalance everything to your liking then go for it. Everyone has their own house rules. I was merely offering a 'quick fix' that would not require too much extra work.

2) Answer me this' date=' why should someone with good dex be better at fighting - attack, I understand might (should) be better at avoiding getting hit - I'm not convinced OCV and DCV should be linked to the same characteristic.[/quote']Because that's how it is in the real world?

Go get in a few fights...

Having grown up in the inner city I can say with confidence that you'll find the faster people have a serious edge over everyone else - even the strong ones.

Look at professional fighters - they muscle up for speed, not power. Power is important, but speed comes first. Boxers don't look like WWE stars for a reason.

Guest taxboy4

Because that's how it is in the real world?

Go get in a few fights...

Having grown up in the inner city I can say with confidence that you'll find the faster people have a serious edge over everyone else - even the strong ones.

Look at professional fighters - they muscle up for speed, not power. Power is important, but speed comes first. Boxers don't look like WWE stars for a reason.

WEll there is some truth to that, and being a good ol country town boy, I have been in a few fights - from my own experiences the winning factor in a street fight was not so much speed but to

1) Hit first and often (while the other guy(s) were still posturing

2) Ability to take a punch

I found my 6'2" 120kgs allowed me to win each time combined with a frenzy of punching, kicking and yes biting.

if u were small but speed 4 dex 20 against my speed 2, (lol!!) it didn't seem to help as i could take pretty much anything - course when drunk i didn't feel much pain either.

Now I've finished my pissing contest - in reference to the dex point, being fast will help but i know i can punch very hard and fast but i cannot avoid very much - so u could say my ocv and dcv were not equal.

I would like a mechanism to seperate out these values.

Also people with good timing and eyesight are better with missle weapons and guns than a dexterous person so how does the dex work there?

How about this?

I would like a mechanism to seperate out these values.

Also people with good timing and eyesight are better with missle weapons and guns than a dexterous person so how does the dex work there?

Let's see, DEX gives you OCV, DCV, SPD, Skill Levels with DEX Skills and Combat Reflexes. Someone help me if I have missed something.

• DCV can be bought for 5 points per 1. OCV can be bought for 8 points for all combat but could also be used for DCV. It would seem reasonable to me that you could charge a straight 5 points for just +1 OCV.
  • SPD is 10 per 1.
  • Skill Levels with DEX is 5 per 1.
  • Combat Reflexes are 1 per 1.

So give everyone

OCV: 3

DCV: 3

SPD: 2

Skills based on DEX: 11-

Combat Reflexes: 0 (or base 10 for determining who goes first)

...and let everyone buy up from there. Remove DEX altogether. Drains target specific abilities. Am I forgetting something?

For Agility vs. Hand-eye coordination...

• +1 w/Agility Skills = 3pts
  • +1 w/Hand-eye coordination Skills = 3pts

Define which skills go where and do not allow the 5pt skill.

It will require a little more accounting and make Drains more effective but I do not think it should break anything else. Does that help?

Guest taxboy4

Re: How about this?

Let's see, DEX gives you OCV, DCV, SPD, Skill Levels with DEX Skills and Combat Reflexes. Someone help me if I have missed something.

• DCV can be bought for 5 points per 1. OCV can be bought for 8 points for all combat but could also be used for DCV. It would seem reasonable to me that you could charge a straight 5 points for just +1 OCV.
  • SPD is 10 per 1.
  • Skill Levels with DEX is 5 per 1.
  • Combat Reflexes are 1 per 1.

So give everyone

OCV: 3

DCV: 3

SPD: 2

Skills based on DEX: 11-

Combat Reflexes: 0 (or base 10 for determining who goes first)

...and let everyone buy up from there. Remove DEX altogether. Drains target specific abilities. Am I forgetting something?

For Agility vs. Hand-eye coordination...

• +1 w/Agility Skills = 3pts
  • +1 w/Hand-eye coordination Skills = 3pts

Define which skills go where and do not allow the 5pt skill.

It will require a little more accounting and make Drains more effective but I do not think it should break anything else. Does that help?

Sounds good, but wouldn't i have to give points back or does extinquishing 10 dex points give the base stats you mentioned above.

Its very obvious that the designers of the Hero system meant for Dex to represent both reflexive ability and eye/hand coordination.

Having a dextrous theif in Hero certainly means that not only will he be good with his Dex skills (most theif skills being dex based, but not all) but will be good in combat and fast as well.

I don't see where there is a problem. Absolutely every theif in fantasy fiction is quick and agile. Everyone that I've read about. Silk from Belgariad. Tasslehoff from Dragonlance. Shadowspawn from Theives world. Jimmy from Riftwars Saga. All of them.

Sure, a high Dex theif can hit more often than the moderately high Dex Fighter, but his weapons are usually so light (using nothing heavier than a longsword and usually a shortsword or long-dagger) they have trouble punching through armor as one poster mentioned above. Fighters may hit less often, but when they do, whatever they hit feels it. If its mortal, chances are its dead in a hit or two. Unless they hit a vital spot (which theives tend to go for...what do you think Backstab represents) they have to hit their enemies four or five times before they go down. And god-forbid if the Theif gets hit. If he gets hit, he's going down. And in Herioc level combat, there's a good chance he's not getting back up again without a resurrection spell handy...

Thus, if our Theif isn't working with a High Dex, he's probably dead meat.

The Hero system already has a mechanic built in so that one can customize any characteristic to their desire. Simply put limitations on Dex if you want your theif to be good with Dex skill and dodge well, but not have better fighting ability than the Fighter. Though in my opinion its unessecary.

I'd build my Theif with a moderate Dex (Dex 15), Dex Skill levels (+2 10pts) and some DCV levels (+2 or +3) so that he would be quick, but not overly so. He'd be quite good with his Dex skills (14 or less) and he's be damned hard to hit (DCV 7 or 8 before dodging) but he wouldn't be any better than the group Fighter (OCV 5) in combat.

Thats all you need to do really..sit down with your players and explain to them how you want each character to specialize in their chosen profession...at least at the start of the game.

• 2 months later...

I have an idea for you. Instaed of splitting up the

DEX attribute, split the costs a little. DEX should only cost

1 point per level (maybe 2 for a high powered game),

and has absolutley no efect on OCV and DCV. Instead

OCV and DCV either only cost 1 pt per level or can

only be bought up with CSLs.

(though everybody might

start out with a base 3 OCV/DCV.

Doing this could solve your problem for your high OCV/DCV

thief character. I saw this written down somwhere

before in one of the hero books

before, but i cant remember which one it was (i think it was

in a sidebar).

Well i hope this helps you.

My basic problem with the cost of DEX is the cost of CSLs. It's simply not worth it to buy +1 with all combat for 8 points, when it costs 6 points for +1 DCV AND OCV from +3 dex (including rebate from SPD, unless that isn't high). This ends being useful once you hit NCM, of course. Playing supers is a different story.

I'd wanna see either an increase in the cost of DEX or a decrease in the cost of CSLs before I was willing to buy any more than 2- or 3-point CSLs (or 5-point ones with limitations. They're neat. My personal favorite is DCV levels with 'requires successful presence attack').

And yes, I know that point-economics shouldn't be such a big motivating factor. Yet it is, yah? I'm not going to buy my DEX up above where it should be. I can't remember the last time I made a 75/75 character with 20 DEX (actually, I do - a very young Tolkien elf). But if I do buy what's appropriate for my character, I'd rather not feel ripped off. I shouldn't HAVE to choose between powergaming and character-appropriateness.

Oh, as for the argument 'hand-eye coordination and agility tend to go together in Fantasy literature'... well, so do physical toughness, health and strength. Yet we have three stats for them...

Personally? I dunno what to do. Splitting DEX might be good. Might introduce too many problems (especially in HD, unless you're good at template design).