So speaking of Dr. Destoyer....

starblaze

Hey there, I was thinking about the thread about the Island of Dr. Destroyer and I was wondering if anyone here ran or played in the Day of the Destroyer adventure.

I had a group play in it once where they had to fight Deathstroke and the supervillian team in the adventure. I had a group that was primarily a mystic type team, everyone had to have a magic/supernatural background. This was OK, but no one had any technical skills so I had a government agent type super come along to help. He was called the Protector, sort of a Captian America/Iron Man hero.

The other characters where

Arcana, a sorceror with a magic VPP

Tombstone, a sentient stone Golem

Isgerd, an Asgardian Valkrie and

Corax, a Wereraven

The funny thing about it was in the final battle with Destroyer Protector got knocked out by DD's RKA (the rolled a 3), and the Vindicators had to simply destroy Sennacharib.

Re: So speaking of Dr. Destoyer....

Day of the Destroyer was a 3rd editon era published adventure. The cover showed Dr. D in his old armor sitting on a throne with the old Champions lying defeated before him. A hugle digital display was behind him counting down the time till he killed 25% of Earth's population.

The adventure starts with Dr. D appearing on television to give the world 24 hours until he activates his uber-weapon and kills a percentage of the earth. He then unleashes a horde of villians to attack major cities across the world, keeping the Heroes too busy to go after him. The adventure itself focused on investigation as the heroes have to try to track down scattered clues as to his plan and the location of his secret lair.

You fight a villian team en-route, then fight Gigaton & Destroyers minions at his secret lair, then the Dr. himself.

The funny thing about it was in the final battle with Destroyer Protector got knocked out by DD's RKA (the rolled a 3)' date=' and the Vindicators had to simply destroy Sennacharib.[/quote']

OK, that's twice I've heard of a group beating Dr. D because somebody rolled a "3". :rolleyes:

This is HERO system! If you are going to beat the bad guys it should be after a heroic showdown, not when someone opens up with a standard blast, rolls well, and drops Galacticus with a lucky shot.

FWIW, this is why I never use critical systems in Hero. They sound cooler than they are. More often than not it sucks the drama out of the climatic battles. Or let pipsqueak agents drop the Hulk.

The funny thing about it was in the final battle with Destroyer Protector got knocked out by DD's RKA (the rolled a 3)' date=' and the Vindicators had to simply destroy Sennacharib.[/quote']OK, that's twice I've heard of a group beating Dr. D because somebody rolled a "3". :rolleyes:

Pardon my pendantry, but that would be the 25,637th time I've seen someone roll their eyes at some other poster on the Internet after totally failing at reading comprehension. Let's try again:

"...in the final battle with Destroyer Protector got knocked out by DD's RKA (the[sic] rolled a 3)..."

emphasis mine

From this sentence I understand that Destroyer (ie. the GM) rolled a 3 and critically hurt the (GM controlled) NPC, Protector, who was there for technical support. There were no actual PCs involved in this interaction. In fact, it didn't affect the plot at all.

FWIW, your point about critical hits is still valid, and I actually agree, but the condescension works better when you seem to understand the finer points of that which you quote. Just a note for future use of the :rolleyes: .

FWIW' date=' your point about critical hits is still valid, and I actually agree, but the condescension works better when you seem to understand the finer points of that which you quote. Just a note for future use of the :rolleyes: .[/quote']

Hmm..

I did indeed misread.

Even if I hadn't, I hadn't actually meant any Condescension in my post. I was rolling eyes in exasperation when contemplating something anti-climatic which seems to have come up more than once.

If I have misspoken, I apologize.

And I will refrain from making a comment at the levels of irony in an internet post that presumes to explain the proper use of condescension.

I own two copies of Day of the Destroyer.

I've never run the adventure.

Then again, the last module from 3rd I got the nuts the run was Scourge of the Deep... so maybe I'm just a bit leery of 3rd edition suppliments.

Well, technically, it's a 4th Edition module. The big clue is that it's Seeker and not Marksman unconscious on the cover.

Also, the ninja uses the 4th ed standard for martial arts, y'know 4 pts for martial strike not Martial arts costing a base of Str x1 1/2 or some such.

CONTAINS SPOILERS:

Yes, I ran and GM'd the episode. To throw a twist in it, at the end of the big climatic battle, the real Dr. Destroyer showed up and the message by Destroyer that the heroes read at the end fit even better (though the message was mildly changed).

I have played in IoDD and ran DotD ... both were quite fun :) Now we just need a new adventure with Destroyer in it ... maybe Night of the Destroyer? Dawn of the Destroyer? oooo ... could be a time travel adventure ;) Or how about Dark Age of the Destroyer? Make it like Marvel's Age of Apocalypse ;)

I've played in and read Day of the Destroyer, and IMHO it's one of the best adventures published for 4E Champions (not 3E).

The adventure is engagingly written, well-paced, with good character development, several unexpected twists, and both significant investigative and combat elements. The stakes couldn't be higher, and the climactic battle is a real rouser. I consider it some of author Scott Bennie's best HERO work, but he also pays deliberate and explicit homage to the original Island of Dr. Destroyer adventure.

Just to relate the conclusion to my own group's experiences with it (SPOILERS BELOW):

Our team had a vicious fight through Destroyer's defenses, especially against Gigaton. Two of our members were almost at 0 BODY before Gig finally went down. When we finally confronted Destroyer in his control room he proceeded to kick our butts.

In desperation our team gadgeteer managed to slip past Destroyer, rip off his webbelt with a whole brace of grenades, and shove the lot into a panel in the control for DD's Doomsday Device that had been partly ripped open by a stray blast. The resulting explosion blew the whole control system to flinders, shutting down the device.

Destroyer collapsed in anguish (for reasons you'd have to read the adventure to understand), and we all breathed a sigh of relief - well, technically only two PCs were still conscious at that point. Suddenly the wall of the control room blows inward, and Gigaton is standing there wide awake and looking royally po'd.

Gig glances from our huddled frightened forms to the destroyed controls to the weeping Destroyer, shrugs, says "He was a jerk anyway," and leaves.

I've played in and read Day of the Destroyer, and IMHO it's one of the best adventures published for 4E Champions (not 3E).

The adventure is engagingly written, well-paced, with good character development, several unexpected twists, and both significant investigative and combat elements. The stakes couldn't be higher, and the climactic battle is a real rouser. I consider it some of author Scott Bennie's best HERO work, but he also pays deliberate and explicit homage to the original Island of Dr. Destroyer adventure.

I have benn a player in the module and plan on one day running it. I must totally agree with your statements. Villains International, is a well written villain group. Gigaton and Stormwatch(not sure on the name as I do not have the module handy) are just awesome individual villains.