Character Sheets

Kensei27

Just wondering what people usually do for character sheets.

You've got the sheets exported from HD, but those are unalterable without printing off a new copy every time someone spends experience points. You've also got a traditional sheet, filled out by hand, but with all the advantages and limitations of powers that can get real ugly real quick.

How do YOU handle character sheets in your game?

Re: Character Sheets

Just wondering what people usually do for character sheets.You've got the sheets exported from HD' date=' but those are unalterable without printing off a new copy every time someone spends experience points. You've also got a traditional sheet, filled out by hand, but with all the advantages and limitations of powers that can get real ugly real quick.How do YOU handle character sheets in your game?[/quote']I have a database I built in FileMaker Pro for doing character sheets. I also use Hero Designer, but mostly just for building powers. I keep the characters in the database because I have other utilities built into it - like combat record sheets, little counters for representing the characters in combat, and so forth. Of course, you do have to print the character sheets out after each alteration, but I don't think you can do anything on the computer that wouldn't require that unless you did away with paper completely.And that's probably not helpful to you, but you did ask. :)

Usually handwritten, but I submit them to anyone else in a printed Word document in order to save anyone from trying to read my writing.

I have tons of templates and hardcopy character sheets, but I'd rather write them out. It just feels better.

I have a MS Publisher Character sheet I use for PCs, and I use Herodesigner printouts for NPCs.

I used Publisher for years before HD came out. I gives a lot of nice formatting options but it is just too much work to transfer all the NPCs into this format.

My "to do" list includes creating an HTML export for Herodesigner that mimics my Publisher sheet. (Of course I also have "learn HTML" on that same list, so it will probably be a while)

I use Word also' date=' Typed letters are so much easier to read plus you can chage the letter size and spacing to jam in as much info as you want.[/quote']

When I started playing Hero again several years ago, I made a MS Word Template for a character sheet that mimiced the format used in the 4th Edition books. Since then I've bought Metacreator, which made entering and editing the date much easier. Of course, since DOJ, Metacrator wasn't receiving any updates so I bought HeroDesigner. Metacreator was better, but at least HD allows for all of the 5th edition rules.

As for keeping everybody supplied with updated character sheets.... paper is cheep, but ink isn't. I'm also the only guy in the group with both a printer and HD, so I do most of the printing. So I try to leave room on the sheets to pencil in adjustments, and I enter those adjustments into HD. When the adjustments accumulate, I'll print a new copy (and try to stick with only the pages that any info changed on).

I print them from HD exports, usually html, before each session if the character has changed -- I've developed a bunch of html export filters that suit me very well. My printer has a double-siding "print as folded booklet" feature which is great; it shrinks everything down so that four pages of info will fit on two sides of a single sheet which saves paper, ink and table space.